Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum connecting time BKK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by economyman
Thai (TG) from USM to BKK landing at 10:15 (paid ticket)
Then BKK to HKG on CX departing at 12:40 (award ticket)
I wouldn't do it with checked bags. Carry on only would likely be okay.

Last time I flew in from Samui (on PG), we landed in the middle of a thunderstorm and it took over an hour for the bags at BKK.

Another consideration is which program did you book the CX ticket through. If it's an Avios ticket, those are nonchangeable and noncancelable within 24 hours of departure. So if you miss, you technically do not have a ticket.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I wouldn't do it with checked bags. Carry on only would likely be okay.

Last time I flew in from Samui (on PG), we landed in the middle of a thunderstorm and it took over an hour for the bags at BKK.

Another consideration is which program did you book the CX ticket through. If it's an Avios ticket, those are nonchangeable and noncancelable within 24 hours of departure. So if you miss, you technically do not have a ticket.
I agree with Kacee. As others have noted, it is possible if all goes well and is on time ex-USM.

My preference in the OP's situation would be to take a later CX flight if at all possible (or an earlier flight from USM), especially since you+family are all in J and can chill in the lounge.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by dsquared37
The rest of your post is good information but the above just isn't accurate. From immigration to the gate is 10 min tops... and that's if you're just casually strolling or herding kids.
Having done this flight a few times over the last year, I note that the afternoon departure gates tend to be at the end of the walkway at E9 /E10. Some flights in the morning are at D. If boarding at D yes, it is 10 minutes. However, if it is E, no way. It's a good 5-10 minutes alone if hustling with kids to get to the E intersection. Then it's 5-10 minutes to get to E9/10 and down the stairs.

I am accounting for the idiot factor - you know the jerks who can't walk in a straight line or who block the moving walkways or the infamous I will text while waddling people. I will time myself next flight as I am leaving right before songkran along with the other sane people and report back.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Having done this flight a few times over the last year, I note that the afternoon departure gates tend to be at the end of the walkway at E9 /E10. Some flights in the morning are at D. If boarding at D yes, it is 10 minutes. However, if it is E, no way. It's a good 5-10 minutes alone if hustling with kids to get to the E intersection. Then it's 5-10 minutes to get to E9/10 and down the stairs.

I am accounting for the idiot factor - you know the jerks who can't walk in a straight line or who block the moving walkways or the infamous I will text while waddling people. I will time myself next flight as I am leaving right before songkran along with the other sane people and report back.
stay on the check in Level, where all the shops restaurants are; there are also moving walkways in D in opposite to the departure Level, where you have to walk the whole distance. Then at D/E/F/G intersection, move one Floor down and there are moving walk ways until the end of E terminal
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer

I responded to your claim that CX flights are 15-20 min from immigration and I still believe that to be wildly over-estimated.

I don't expect that many can hoof it from the Oman lounge to the PG lounge in 10 min, like I commonly do, but I also don't forsee the typical able bodied pedestrian taking more than 10 to cover the ground in your scenario, especially if utilizing the travelators in the side concourses.

I think all my CX exBKK flights have been in G concourse FWIW.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Flying HKG-BKK (J) on Cathay landing 11:20am.

Need to clear customs, check in etc for domestic Thai Flight (J) BKK-HKT departing 2:05pm. We will have checked bags.

Seem doable? Thank you!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker

Need to clear customs, check in etc for domestic Thai Flight (J) BKK-HKT departing 2:05pm.
KA flies two daily nonstops HKG-HKT. I've had success redeeming Avios in J in both directions; you have to check daily, availability is highly variable. Saves you half a day.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

Need to clear customs, check in etc for domestic Thai Flight (J) BKK-HKT departing 2:05pm. We will have checked bags.

Seem doable? Thank you!
Yes, doable. Of course you carry the full risk of missing your TG flight if the CX flight is delayed.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:57 pm

Seem doable? Thank you!
doable even if HKG leg is one hour late
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
KA flies two daily nonstops HKG-HKT. I've had success redeeming Avios in J in both directions; you have to check daily, availability is highly variable. Saves you half a day.
Yes. We will keep checking for that-and are doing it on return. Nothing offered so far.

Thanks to all of the replies!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG, RC

Seem doable? Thank you!
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Yes, doable. Of course you carry the full risk of missing your TG flight if the CX flight is delayed.
Originally Posted by BinSabai
doable even if HKG leg is one hour late
Wish I had found this thread earlier. I asked in another thread and it probably wasn't the most appropriate place to ask. I'm in same situation. This December flying JFK-HKG-BKK on award flight in business...arriving BKK 11:20am. Need to purchase revenue ticket from BKK to REP on PG choices are 1:35pm or 5:30pm. Will have two toddlers in tow so really don't want to do the 5:30pm but may have no other option as on TA I was advised the connection of 2hrs is not enough in December. Does anyone know if closer in PG may add more flights to their schedules? I'm kind of hoping maybe a 3pm or 2:30pm is put on their schedule.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by TravelPenguin
Wish I had found this thread earlier. I asked in another thread and it probably wasn't the most appropriate place to ask. I'm in same situation. This December flying JFK-HKG-BKK on award flight in business...arriving BKK 11:20am. Need to purchase revenue ticket from BKK to REP on PG choices are 1:35pm or 5:30pm. Will have two toddlers in tow so really don't want to do the 5:30pm but may have no other option as on TA I was advised the connection of 2hrs is not enough in December. Does anyone know if closer in PG may add more flights to their schedules? I'm kind of hoping maybe a 3pm or 2:30pm is put on their schedule.
PG doesn't have sufficient planes as it is for their ambitious high-season schedules. In past years they've wet leased from Bulgaria Airlines and this year used a few Niki planes. There's little chance they'll add to the current 5/6 flights a day to REP but they could re-time them.

Keep in mind that you are likely to be hit by delays (PG) which increase as the day progresses. Very typical during high season (with ambitious schedule yada yada yada).

Are you flying CX? You might be able to have your bags interlined to PG in which case 2 hrs is sufficient, but if you fail with that you're in trouble.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:41 am

Looks like Cathay and Thai Interline....

http://www.thaiairways.com/en/Terms_...e_partner.page

So, will we be able to check bags all the way HKG-BKK-HKT. (I am sure claiming for customs.) Will be nice not to have to drag them to Thai counter for rechecking.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:57 am

Looks like Cathay and Thai Interline....

http://www.thaiairways.com/en/Terms_...e_partner.page

So, will we be able to check bags all the way HKG-BKK-HKT. (I am sure claiming for customs.) Will be nice not to have to drag them to Thai counter for rechecking.
on two different tickets? Cathay has been reported to make difficulties to check through bags; you better ask in the Cathay Forum...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
on two different tickets? Cathay has been reported to make difficulties to check through bags; you better ask in the Cathay Forum...
Yep-two different tickets. Will do. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.