Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong to Taipei

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Hong Kong to Taipei

Is Thai cancelling this route ? I can't seem to book this beyond March. That would be sad, as this is the only Star Alliance flight between these two cities where I can redeem UA miles.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:48 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
I had an award booking via US in mid october and got a call today that thai has cancelled the flight.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:28 am

Last flight 27MAR10, after over 40 years of service on this sector
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by jiml1126
Last flight 27MAR10, after over 40 years of service on this sector
OH ...that's said....as UAFlyer said, no more *A carrier between these 2 cities.

I am wondering what would happen to those who had redeem a F ticket that is for after 27th March 2010?..if it was a paid ticket then is easy(ier)...prob someone here had redeemed a BKK-TPE via HKG in F?? There's this debate whether F will stay in the future...what if it turns out that it won't for certain routes? how does it normal work out if one has forked out a hundred thousand+ miles that was hard earned to an award ticket?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:07 pm

What are the chances that TG or any other *A is going to pick up that route again within the next 6 months? Quite a shame that *A has no coverage left there.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by kinchai
OH ...that's said....as UAFlyer said, no more *A carrier between these 2 cities.

I am wondering what would happen to those who had redeem a F ticket that is for after 27th March 2010?..if it was a paid ticket then is easy(ier)...prob someone here had redeemed a BKK-TPE via HKG in F?? There's this debate whether F will stay in the future...what if it turns out that it won't for certain routes? how does it normal work out if one has forked out a hundred thousand+ miles that was hard earned to an award ticket?
You'll get offered an alternative routing, e.g. direct BKK-TPE flight or if TPE was only a connection point to skip TPE altogether. The funny part is what they'll do if you have an stopover in HKG. BKK-HKG-BKK-TPE?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freakazoid
You'll get offered an alternative routing, e.g. direct BKK-TPE flight or if TPE was only a connection point to skip TPE altogether. The funny part is what they'll do if you have an stopover in HKG. BKK-HKG-BKK-TPE?
HKG-BKK-TPE would probably exceed the MPM for HKG-TPE. I suppose HKG-PVG-TPE on Shanghai Airlines/Air China would be a possibility, though that probably would also exceed MPM. Ironically, people used to transit in Hong Kong when there were no direct flights betewen Shanghai and Taipei. Now since there's no direct (*A) flight between Hong Kong and Taipei, maybe Shanghai will become a valid transit point between these two cities ?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:40 pm

I can't imagine that the HKG-TPE sector on TG was wildly popular in F.

Sad that it was not sustainable.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 3:43 am

Well right now I'd be happy if they had any direct flight on that route. HKG-PVG-TPE has a really bad schedule with at least 11 hours overnight layover in PVG.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 4:38 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by freakazoid
Well right now I'd be happy if they had any direct flight on that route. HKG-PVG-TPE has a really bad schedule with at least 11 hours overnight layover in PVG.
I can see why Thai does not want to fly this route, as there is over supply of seats, with at least 30 flights a day on 4 other airlines, and fares US$55+ each way, its hard to make money. Also I think its bad use of miles with low airfares on this route. With direct China to Taiwan flights, no need to fly KHH/TPE to HKG to China, so now many Taiwan-HKG flights have lots of empty seats.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Indeed the HKG-TPE route has lost many pax with the direct China-TPE flights. F class is still popular ex-HKG. But that is provided that the fare be right, and with the very cheap fares caused by competition and low yields...
Frankly, I doubt that most *A flyer will miss much given the short distance (500 miles). And if you are a frequent biz flyer on the route, you would seldom have used TG because of the inconvenience of a single daily nonstop.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:13 am

I'm on a *A award and briefly spoke with a UA 1K agent this morning. She didn't have any connecting flights to suggest from her system and I didn't want to keep her on the line amongst all the weather-related calls that they're getting slammed with.

I can picture connections through one of these cities: BKK, SIN, NRT, ICN, PVG, PEK

But has anyone had success getting the HKG-TPE flight rerouted yet?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
There are three routes to be axed this March, accorfing to the Aviation writer @ the BPost.
Bangkok to Kuwait which has been around for a long time ceases, as does the Bangkok to Manila onwards to Osaka route which I always wanted to do. Finally as has been discussed in this thread the Hong Kong to Taipei. Om the other side of the coin, for the World cup, TG will restart the Bangkok to Johanaensburg flight using 777-200er
Old Feb 5, 2010, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by whistler814
I'm on a *A award and briefly spoke with a UA 1K agent this morning. She didn't have any connecting flights to suggest from her system and I didn't want to keep her on the line amongst all the weather-related calls that they're getting slammed with.

I can picture connections through one of these cities: BKK, SIN, NRT, ICN, PVG, PEK

But has anyone had success getting the HKG-TPE flight rerouted yet?
you need to call bmi, they were very nice and I could choose any combination of flights to go to TPE. My flight was for next july and I discover through FLYERTALK that my flight was cancelled, where else ?
I did take the combination with TG in first place because the first class to BKK .
Old Feb 5, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by ches50
you need to call bmi, they were very nice and I could choose any combination of flights to go to TPE. My flight was for next july and I discover through FLYERTALK that my flight was cancelled, where else ?
I did take the combination with TG in first place because the first class to BKK .
Welcome to Flyertalk ches50, so right, BMI will look after the whistler814 cancellation, it's just a matter of doing it now before all the others start to ring. From this end, the NRT-TPE connection seems to be the obvious on 837 assuming the flight is from IAD, where a connection can be made through Japan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.