Search

Take me back to the promised land

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2008, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Take me back to the promised land

Ahhh...I'm sitting at my desk, craving Tex-Mex. Alas the only thing available in Canary Wharf is Chillis. Last June I was in Fort-Worth and couldn't get enough Joe T's. I must have been to almost every "Mexican" (read: TexMex) restaurant in London, but they just can't do it. and £5 for a small frozen margarita....Almost criminal

As an aside I went to one place called the Texan Embassy, it is actually in the old Texan Embassy in London before Texas joined the union.....
Old Feb 8, 2008, 4:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by bensyd
As an aside I went to one place called the Texan Embassy, it is actually in the old Texan Embassy in London before Texas joined the union.....
I am not sure that's true the Texas Legation (embassy) was on St James Street.

I think the Texas Embassy Cantina tries to trade off the story but its not the actual location.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
As the Mexican population explodes in east central Alabama, so does the population of Mexican restaurants. Mrs BamaVol and I have adopted one as our Friday night dining spot. Since we're busy tonight, we had dinner last night at Mexico Lindo. Chiles rellenos, cheese enchiladas, pollo ranchero, rice and refritos. a couple Dos Equis Amber to wash it down. Mmmmmm. No room for sopapillas. Bill for 2 with drinks and tip = $36.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
As the Mexican population explodes in east central Alabama, so does the population of Mexican restaurants. Mrs BamaVol and I have adopted one as our Friday night dining spot. Since we're busy tonight, we had dinner last night at Mexico Lindo. Chiles rellenos, cheese enchiladas, pollo ranchero, rice and refritos. a couple Dos Equis Amber to wash it down. Mmmmmm. No room for sopapillas. Bill for 2 with drinks and tip = $36.
B@stard!

That would easily run to £36 in London....and it would be B-grade anyway
Old Feb 8, 2008, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simong
I am not sure that's true the Texas Legation (embassy) was on St James Street.

I think the Texas Embassy Cantina tries to trade off the story but its not the actual location.
Yes I think you maybe correct. Still it is interesting most people are completely unaware that Texas was a republic.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Ah yes TexMex what a fabulous feed. Sydney is in the middle of a TexMex boom with new restaurants opening up all over the place and some are fantastic! Not up to Joe T's standards, but very good never the less.

I just got a letter from a new restaurant opening near my house in Sydney "Texan BBQ Restaurant opening soon".......GREAT NEWS

I do need to get back to Texas for the real thing though
Old Feb 14, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bensyd
Ahhh...I'm sitting at my desk, craving Tex-Mex. Alas the only thing available in Canary Wharf is Chillis. Last June I was in Fort-Worth and couldn't get enough Joe T's. I must have been to almost every "Mexican" (read: TexMex) restaurant in London, but they just can't do it. and £5 for a small frozen margarita....Almost criminal

London is terrible for Tex-Mex (or Mexican) places, and it's almost impossible to get a good margarita. HOWEVER...this place on Bethnal Green Road is worth checking out:
http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaura.../Green_and_Red

It's about as good as you;re going to get in london...and happy hour before 7 or so - 2 for the price of one..best margaritas i've had this side of the atlantic...!(which isn;t saying much, I know)
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
How is it that all you folks keep making it to Fort Worth without meeting up with the FT contingent here?

I can tolerate the margaritas at Joe T's... but let us know next time and we'll take you somewhere even better! MUCH better.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by techgirl
How is it that all you folks keep making it to Fort Worth without meeting up with the FT contingent here?

I can tolerate the margaritas at Joe T's... but let us know next time and we'll take you somewhere even better! MUCH better.
When I lived up there my coworkers and I had a weekly Mercado Juarez ritual. The "quick" lunch was great! ^
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RoseFPS
London is terrible for Tex-Mex (or Mexican) places, and it's almost impossible to get a good margarita. HOWEVER...this place on Bethnal Green Road is worth checking out:
http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaura.../Green_and_Red

It's about as good as you;re going to get in london...and happy hour before 7 or so - 2 for the price of one..best margaritas i've had this side of the atlantic...!(which isn;t saying much, I know)
I've booked! I'll let you know how it was....good thing is I have learnt to lower the bar in London...

Originally Posted by techgirl

My time in the DFW area is always fleeting, never more than a couple of nights and my time is always fairly well booked in advance, although I have been able to see more of your great state. Austin^^, and once got stranded in San Angelo TX on my way back from BJX. I'll definatley let you guys know when I'm next about those margaritas have my mouth watering already!

Originally Posted by hobarthoney
Ah yes TexMex what a fabulous feed. Sydney is in the middle of a TexMex boom with new restaurants opening up all over the place and some are fantastic! Not up to Joe T's standards, but very good never the less.

I just got a letter from a new restaurant opening near my house in Sydney "Texan BBQ Restaurant opening soon".......GREAT NEWS

I do need to get back to Texas for the real thing though
hobarthoney being the afficionado of Tex-Mex that you are I'm sure you have sampled the delights at Juanitas on Anzac Parade? I heard they recently revamped it...I've had many a great night there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.