Wiki Posts
Search

Moving to Houston

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:30 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by vachataboon
I'll second that...

Which leads all of us to ponder why is Dallas the wicked step child of Texas?
Yeah, right. We're here on a thread where the guy is talking about how he doesn't want to live in the area near his job because that whole side of town smells and you think Dallas is the wicked step-child? You go right ahead.

Say, when's that next Mavs game on?
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 4:27 pm

Programs: CO Onepass, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by JS
As long as you stay away from Sugar Land!

(never heard of anything like that in that area, but it is a whites-only super-rich ultra-Republican spot)

Actually, Sugarland is one of the most ethnically diverse of the Houston suburbs. If you are of Pakistani, Indian, or Vietnamese descent, have saved up some money, and want your kids in good schools, you probably live in Sugarland. Also, wealthy African-Americans live there in large numbers. Think sports team heros and entepreneurs.

And as for the OP, since you are going to have to work in the petro-complex of Deer Park/Ship Channel, definately live inside the loop and commute out. I can't see it taking more than 25 minutes morning or evening. Just bring along a gas mask!!!
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:51 pm

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
I lived in the Galleria area the first five of my nine years here and I considered it the center of the universe. I had EVERYTHING within a mile radius of my apartment and it was cheap compared to what my buddy was paying in Boston.

This was also when I was traveling a lot so all my trips to IAH and HOU were against traffic which was great.

Your best bet might be Montrose/West U. or even the Galleria for a reasonable commute. At least you'll be moving the whole way.

Yes the summers suck but everything is air conditioned. It's a great city to live in and you can't beat the cost of living here.

BTW-given the multitude of people that I know that live in Sugar Land....it is NOT super-rich.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:57 pm

I recently moved to the Houston area myself.
Luckily I have a home based biz and was not
restricted to city limits.
Housing here is dirt cheap compared with
HNL and LAX, but property taxes are out
of this world.
But it is a wonderful place to live and people
are super, super friendly.
I live out in the Woodlands but I am unable
to find any low cost Airport Shuttle service
like the SuperShuttle at other airports.
Taxi service runs up to $ 90.00 each way
to IAH. Anyone out there amongst long
time Houstonians who can give me some
advice?
I would rather apply the savings to my
mileage runs than spend on ground transportation.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:47 pm

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
EXLEFTSEAT,

You might be SOL. The only airport shuttle I could think of (Texans Shuttle) doesn't offer service to/from The Woodlands. There was another shuttle company that got bought by Coach USA but I think Coach shut down the operation.....Texans filled the gap.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Yes a very old thread, but I'm about to be in the same boat. My new employer is just north of the 8 and just west of the 288 in the southern part of Houston.
I will rent a single family home for the first year. Where should I look for this rental home? Of course I'd like to have a short commute that avoids tolls. I believe the 288 going north/south has a toll, but the 8 going east/west doesn't (at least in that stretch where I'd be using it). Places I'm looking at are: Pearland, Manvel, Friendswood, Missouri City, Sugar Land, Sienna Plantation, Iowa Colony.
Just me & the wife. We like quiet, safe, clean and new. Prefer 3-car garage. Don't care if it has a Texas sized backyard. Must be within 30 minutes drive of a Costco. Budget $3K/month.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: CO-Silver, Hertz, Marriott Silver, Hilton
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Yes a very old thread, but I'm about to be in the same boat. My new employer is just north of the 8 and just west of the 288 in the southern part of Houston.
I will rent a single family home for the first year. Where should I look for this rental home? Of course I'd like to have a short commute that avoids tolls. I believe the 288 going north/south has a toll, but the 8 going east/west doesn't (at least in that stretch where I'd be using it). Places I'm looking at are: Pearland, Manvel, Friendswood, Missouri City, Sugar Land, Sienna Plantation, Iowa Colony.
Just me & the wife. We like quiet, safe, clean and new. Prefer 3-car garage. Don't care if it has a Texas sized backyard. Must be within 30 minutes drive of a Costco. Budget $3K/month.
I would focus on Pearland as you would have a short commute. Sugar Land would be my second choice, but it is a bit farther out. Both have Costco within the city limits and both have a strong real estate market with good schools. I know you don’t have kids, but both areas are highly desirable for families.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:23 am

don’t get why humans live in swamps
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Colin
Allows the next hurricane to come through and do a little remodeling. Less snow as well.

David
YadiMolina likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Colin
Humans live everywhere. Many live in deserts.
The real question is: why do humans live in places there is snow and cold most of the year?
dlaue likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Humans live everywhere. Many live in deserts.
The real question is: why do humans live in places there is snow and cold most of the year?
No mosquitoes.

David
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by DELee
No mosquitoes.

David
I'm pretty sure the real answer is because their ancestors were there.
But cold places still have mosquitoes.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I'm pretty sure the real answer is because their ancestors were there.
But cold places still have mosquitoes.
And swamps too - take a look at Alaska.

David
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
No mosquitoes.
Oh we had mosquitos in Edmonton in the summer And by all accounts, they are WICKED in Alaska in the summer.

And 40 below was not unheard of in the winter in Edmonton

But to get back on topic, I lived in Houston / Galveston area for about 20 years, and while I would NOT recommend it as a tourist destination, it wasn't all bad to live there
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Oh we had mosquitos in Edmonton in the summer And by all accounts, they are WICKED in Alaska in the summer.

And 40 below was not unheard of in the winter in Edmonton
There's no mosquitoes in the winter.

But to get back on topic, I lived in Houston / Galveston area for about 20 years, and while I would NOT recommend it as a tourist destination, it wasn't all bad to live there
If you like traffic.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.