Best Way to get from NYC to El Paso?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...

We are going to visit boyfriend's relatives for the first time in El Paso, and a quick search illustrated that there are no direct flights from NYC to El Paso--most seem to connect through either Dallas or Houston.

We'll need to rent a car on the ground anyway, so I was thinking we might fly direct to the closest airport to El Paso, then drive the rest of the way. I've looked at some Expedia maps but couldn't figure this out (and don't know Texas at all): what is the closest airport (to El Paso) served direct by any NYC airport?

Also open to hearing what anyone thinks of my idea--good one? Hairbrained scheme? I'll regret it forever when I'm driving 4 hours in the hot Texas sun? Etc.

Finally, I'm also open to cheap hotel/motel options in El Paso, if any one knows any...if not, I'll probably hotwire or priceline it closer to trip time (no time scheduled as yet but likely somewhere in March, April or May).

Best,
Katherine
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:09 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Plat.
Allow me to illustrate:

El Paso

as you can see, there is nothing near El Paso. You crazy New Yorkers, so spoiled with your direct flights, fly AA and connect in Dallas or Continental and connect in Houston ...... (or any other combination that works for you. Texas is beautiful, so flying to another city and driving in will give you a great apprecation for the size of Texas, but once you've seen one tumbleweed, you've seen them all.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by BettyKat
Also open to hearing what anyone thinks of my idea--good one? Hairbrained scheme? I'll regret it forever when I'm driving 4 hours in the hot Texas sun? Etc.
Best,
Katherine
4 hours?? you mean 6, or 8, right?

aa375 is a direct flight from ewr to elp. departs about 6pm or so, get into elp just before 11p. it is a one-stopper in dfw.

regards,
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:32 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
We are going to visit boyfriend's relatives for the first time in El Paso, and a quick search illustrated that there are no direct flights from NYC to El Paso--most seem to connect through either Dallas or Houston.

We'll need to rent a car on the ground anyway, so I was thinking we might fly direct to the closest airport to El Paso . . . what is the closest airport (to El Paso) served direct by any NYC airport?

Best,
Katherine
Ha ha ha, this is a good one. I lived in El Paso for 7 years and during that time worked at the airport for Continental Airlines. In those days El Paso was a major hub on CO's system, with non-stop flites to many cities. Now all the airlines operate a hub-and-spoke system with fewer hubs---and ELP isn't one of them.

First, there is a major airport at El Paso, you will NOT have to fly somewhere else and rent a car, then drive. But you very well may have to fly to Dallas or Houston first. Those would be the closest cities with non-stop NYC flites. Each is probably a 10-hour drive or more from ELP.

You seem to be confused over the term "direct" versus "non-stop." A direct flite is one where you get on at city A, make a stop but no change of aircraft at city B, and end up in city C. Direct and non-stop are not the same thing.

You are not going to be able to find a non-stop flite from any NYC airport to ELP. If you can find a direct flite that shops somewhere and gets to ELP without changing planes (as mentioned by a previous poster), that is going to be your best option. And you may find that you can get a direct flite in one direction, but that there will not be one in the other direction.

Frankly, I would just go with the airline that has the best fare. Changing planes somewhere is truly no big deal, and in fact many knowledgeable FTers choose to change planes to get more miles. Ask people who go to places like Albuquerque, Flagstaff, or Boise --- there aren't m/any non-stops from the east coast to those places, either.

If you have disabilities that make it difficult to change planes, the airline will assist you with a wheelchair or electric cart.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:31 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by Dianne47
First, there is a major airport at El Paso, you will NOT have to fly somewhere else and rent a car, then drive. But you very well may have to fly to Dallas or Houston first. Those would be the closest cities with non-stop NYC flites. Each is probably a 10-hour drive or more from ELP.

You seem to be confused over the term "direct" versus "non-stop." A direct flite is one where you get on at city A, make a stop but no change of aircraft at city B, and end up in city C. Direct and non-stop are not the same thing.

You are not going to be able to find a non-stop flite from any NYC airport to ELP. If you can find a direct flite that shops somewhere and gets to ELP without changing planes (as mentioned by a previous poster), that is going to be your best option. And you may find that you can get a direct flite in one direction, but that there will not be one in the other direction.

Frankly, I would just go with the airline that has the best fare. Changing planes somewhere is truly no big deal, and in fact many knowledgeable FTers choose to change planes to get more miles.
IMHO, I would rather change planes in DAL, IAH, or somewhere else, and have a 10-20 minute walk to the next flight and a 2 hour or so layover, than have a 12 hour or more drive after arrival! Fly into ELP!

If you have disabilities that make it difficult to change planes, the airline will assist you with a wheelchair or electric cart.
The airlines will be happy to help you with a cart or wheelchair on the transfers. All you need to do is ask. I use this service all the time!
Old Feb 11, 2006, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice...

...as you will have gathered, I have no clue about Texas geography and would of course rather change planes than drive for 10-12 hours. I just had no idea El Paso was so far from any other airport!

I also do know what direct vs. non-stop is but used the wrong term in my original post...

At any rate, we "spoiled New Yorkers" of course can fly direct to ELP with one stop in another city and will go with that option. Thanks again to everyone for your help.--K
Old Feb 13, 2006, 4:59 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 22, 2008 at 10:53 am
Old Feb 14, 2006, 3:27 pm

I'm used to driving accross many states in a day, or at least 1/2 of a state in a few hours - based on my past experiences in numerous states. Many years ago, on my first visit to Texas, I was in El Paso and had a flight from San Antonio the next day. I thought it would be a few hours, since it was only 1/2 way through TX. WRONG

I started my drive mid day. By the time I reached my hotel, it was VERY late! Because I had a flight from SAT the next morning, I did not even have an option to stop on the way!

Now I know better.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

...as you will have gathered, I have no clue about Texas geography and would of course rather change planes than drive for 10-12 hours. I just had no idea El Paso was so far from any other airport!
Katherine, it's time to familiarize yourself with a road map of Texas. From one New Yorker to another, here you go! http://www.sitesatlas.com/Maps/Maps/TX1.htm

Last edited by Analise; Feb 16, 2006 at 7:31 am Reason: Misspelled Katherine's first name...sorry!
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Love the map!

Thanks for the map, Analise...yowza! Really helpful in putting things into context--I've only ever been to Houston.

Regards,
Katherine

Originally Posted by Analise
Betty, it's time to familiarize yourself with a road map of Texas. From one New Yorker to another, here you go! http://www.sitesatlas.com/Maps/Maps/TX1.htm
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:45 pm

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
I'd like to add that it seems most direct flights are a farce now anyway as they'll make you deplane (crew change) or even change equipment. If it comes down it.....take a connection if it's cheaper than the direct.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Duhey2
I'd like to add that it seems most direct flights are a farce now anyway as they'll make you deplane (crew change) or even change equipment. If it comes down it.....take a connection if it's cheaper than the direct.
I like it when flight # xxx is a direct flight from "aaa" to "ccc", with a stop in "bbb". You get on a 737 in "aaa", but at the stop in "bbb", you arrive at gate 72 but have to deplane and proceed to gate 38 to continue flight # xxx. When you get to gate 38, the plane is an A319! (But it is still the same flight #!)
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:32 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I missed this thread

PM me if you need any info about the beautiful Sun City
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:41 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that El Paso is in a different time zone (Mountain) from the rest of Texas (Central.) Thus, when you look at a flight schedule it will appear as though your flight from DFW-ELP takes 30 minutes, while your flight from ELP-DFW takes 2 1/2 hours. Be sure to reset your watch when you get to ELP!
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:27 am

Changing planes somewhere is truly no big deal, and in fact many knowledgeable FTers choose to change planes to get more miles.
How 'bout flyin' down to Mexico City and then back up to Ciudad Juarez? Does Juarez have a large enough airport? Then rent a car and a simple drive across the border. (But you might have to buy insurance in Mexico to drive into the states.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.