Reload this Page >

Best Way to get from NYC to El Paso?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to get from NYC to El Paso?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2006, 4:52 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BettyKat
I saw some that connect in Chicago--doesn't add much travel time (unlike, say, a connection in Denver!) so those flights are definitely still possibilities...
What I'm wondering is why you were asking about direct flights in the first place? Why not be like a true FTer and find the most circuitous cheap route possible, so as to maximise the credit to your frequent flyer scheme?
Old Mar 25, 2006, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
Originally Posted by Kremmen
What I'm wondering is why you were asking about direct flights in the first place? Why not be like a true FTer and find the most circuitous cheap route possible, so as to maximise the credit to your frequent flyer scheme?
Sheesh. I thought this was a flame but I see you're a heavy poster, so I'll assume this is sincere and answer in the same fashion:

Everyone has different things they are looking for when they travel. I'm not sure there is one profile that fits a "true FTer"--and that said person is someone who only ever looks for "the most circuitous cheap route possible." We all have different needs at different times. For me personally, I am always looking for the quickest route, that either also earns me the most miles or that allows me to use them for a higher class of travel in the most economical way.

If that makes a fake FTer...so be it!
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
For me personally, I am always looking for the quickest route, that either also earns me the most miles or that allows me to use them for a higher class of travel in the most economical way.
I was just curious. ... and tongue-in-cheek about the "true" FTer part, though the shortest route is almost invariably the one that earns the least miles. (Even worse when it's what the airlines called "direct", which means it takes as long as any other 2 flights, but gives less mileage credit.)

I was wondering because I'd rather spend 14 hours in C on a 747 than 2 hours in an RJ or a DC9. (Not that I expect everyone else to be the same, any more than I expect those two exact choices be available on any particular route.) There are many considerations (time of day, comfort, food, entertainment for a start) that I would put well above elapsed time. FWIW, it's cheaper to fly from Australia to Europe via the USA in business class than to fly just to the USA. (I'm talking thousands of dollars, not trivial amounts.) It also can be cheaper to fly round-the-world than just to the USA. So, many of my flights to the USA have been via Europe. Indeed, it's often the most direct routes that are most desired by business travellers and thus cost the most, which is why my reaction to anyone wanting the most direct route is "why"?
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: NW Gold, CO, DL, US
ATA from LGA to Houston Hobby and then Southwest to ELP.As low as $109 each way
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

I was just curious. ... and tongue-in-cheek about the "true" FTer part, though the shortest route is almost invariably the one that earns the least miles. (Even worse when it's what the airlines called "direct", which means it takes as long as any other 2 flights, but gives less mileage credit.)

I was wondering because I'd rather spend 14 hours in C on a 747 than 2 hours in an RJ or a DC9. (Not that I expect everyone else to be the same, any more than I expect those two exact choices be available on any particular route.) There are many considerations (time of day, comfort, food, entertainment for a start) that I would put well above elapsed time. FWIW, it's cheaper to fly from Australia to Europe via the USA in business class than to fly just to the USA. (I'm talking thousands of dollars, not trivial amounts.) It also can be cheaper to fly round-the-world than just to the USA. So, many of my flights to the USA have been via Europe. Indeed, it's often the most direct routes that are most desired by business travellers and thus cost the most, which is why my reaction to anyone wanting the most direct route is "why"?
interesting--i didn't know it was cheaper to fly from australia to europe via the us in biz class than direct in economy. you learn something new every day.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:21 pm

i didn't know it was cheaper to fly from australia to europe via the us in biz class than direct in economy. you learn something new every day.
I didn't mean to imply that. All my comparisons were same class. And you've never actually answered why you like short flights.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

I didn't mean to imply that. All my comparisons were same class. And you've never actually answered why you like short flights.
Unlike the true FTers, who love the longest flight possible to their destination, eh?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I'd say go ahead and connect through DFW or Houston. The drive from anyplace to El Paso is long and pretty boring. There are several penitentiaries out there in that vacant land with plenty of signs along Interstate 10 warning drivers not to pick up hitchhikers there.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:44 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by Nanook
I'd say go ahead and connect through DFW or Houston. The drive from anyplace to El Paso is long and pretty boring. There are several penitentiaries out there in that vacant land with plenty of signs along Interstate 10 warning drivers not to pick up hitchhikers there.
That's "La Tuna" between El Paso and Las Cruces

Closest major airport is PHX, six hours away
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfe
That's "La Tuna" between El Paso and Las Cruces

Closest major airport is PHX, six hours away
Copy. Over and out. Closest airport=majorly far way. Keep postin' 'cuz you ain't got nothin' better to do...or spare 'us cuz we got the point: fly into ELP!

Thanks guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.