Best Way to get from NYC to El Paso?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to get from NYC to El Paso?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
No one has answered part of the original question, which was "what is the closest airport to El Paso served [non-stop] from any NYC airport". In fact, the three closest airports with non-stop flights from NYC have not even been mentioned.

From what I can tell, the closest airport to ELP with non-stops from New York is actually PHX, which is a 348 mile drive (compares to 550 from DFW and 670 from IAH). Both SAT and AUS have non-stops from NYC, and both are significantly closer than DFW or IAH. In fact, DEN is approximately the same distance from ELP as DFW.

Granted, 348 miles is still a lengthy drive and booking a connecting flight is still probably the best bet. But, I just wanted to point this out for the sake of it.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:08 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Juarez has an airport, but I would not try and cross the border in El Paso unless I actually had to. The wait at the bridge might be as long as the drive from DFW or IAH!

PHX is about a 6 1/2 hour drive.
If you insist about a non-stop, that looks to be about as good as you will get.

I would take AA simply because of the route and the aircraft. DFW-ELP is usually a MD-80. CO from IAH is about 50% 737 50% RJ. DL has a stop in ATL, sort of backtracking from NYC.

But if money is the issue, take the least expensive.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by BettyKat
Finally, I'm also open to cheap hotel/motel options in El Paso, if any one knows any...
Stay at the Holiday Inn Express downtown, I have stayed there many times and it is a rather nice but cheap place, also newly renovated/remodelled (formerly Travelodge).
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:10 pm

Location: Flooded out of Metairie, LA--moved to Baton Rouge! AA EXP/2MM; AirTran Elite; DL Nobody; Marriott Uber Plat; *Wood Gold; Maker's Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Here's a quick geography trivia game...

Take any map of the US that is proportionately measured (as in, one state isn't unfairly given greater size than another state).

Measure the distance from El Paso to Beaumont with any flat object (ruler, piece of paper, etc). Actual measurement doesn't matter, only the general length or span.

Now, transfer the same span or length from Beaumont to anywhere else east (say, Miami). Do the same from El Paso to anywhere west (say, Los Angeles).

Notice anything unusual? The width of Texas is roughly 1/3rd of the entire size of the map (i.e, the entire US).

Now...do the same going north to south, but measure from the top of the Texas Panhandle to Harlingen.

Flip the ruler...

Again, notice anything unusual? The height of Texas is almost half the size of the entire US.

Gives some meaning to the phrase "the sun is ris'n, the sun is set, and we are still in Texas yet!," doesn't it?
Here's another true, but unbelievable fact: El Paso is closer to Los Angeles, CA than it is to the Texas-Louisiana state line!
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:05 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Another example of how big Texas is:

Taking Amtrak (if it's on time - OK it's not! ) from the west of Texas (El Paso) to the east of Texas (TX/LA line) takes almost 24 HOURS! And that's just inside the state!
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:47 am

We are going to visit boyfriend's relatives for the first time in El Paso, and a quick search illustrated that there are no direct flights from NYC to El Paso--most seem to connect through either Dallas or Houston.

We'll need to rent a car on the ground anyway, so I was thinking we might fly direct to the closest airport to El Paso, then drive the rest of the way. I've looked at some Expedia maps but couldn't figure this out (and don't know Texas at all): what is the closest airport (to El Paso) served direct by any NYC airport?

Also open to hearing what anyone thinks of my idea--good one? Hairbrained scheme? I'll regret it forever when I'm driving 4 hours in the hot Texas sun? Etc.

Finally, I'm also open to cheap hotel/motel options in El Paso, if any one knows any...if not, I'll probably hotwire or priceline it closer to trip time (no time scheduled as yet but likely somewhere in March, April or May).

Best,
Katherine
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:58 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
When you cross the LA-TX border westbound on I-10, the first mileage sign you pass says "Beaumont 23, El Paso 857"

Last edited by Catbert10; Mar 4, 2006 at 8:19 pm
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
I'm thinking of taking your advice on this one...

Originally Posted by IfItAintBoeing
How 'bout flyin' down to Mexico City and then back up to Ciudad Juarez? Does Juarez have a large enough airport? Then rent a car and a simple drive across the border. (But you might have to buy insurance in Mexico to drive into the states.)
I'm thinking of doing this--we'll see. Many airlines show it as a more expensive route though--but it may be easier to use miles on it.

I did see another post mention that we may not want to drive across the border--why? Long wait, difficulty crossing, just the hassle of switching one country to another, etc.? I suspect all of the above but just curious...

Best,
Katherine

(edited to correct flight info)

Last edited by BettyKat; Mar 20, 2006 at 3:22 pm
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leviticus
Stay at the Holiday Inn Express downtown, I have stayed there many times and it is a rather nice but cheap place, also newly renovated/remodelled (formerly Travelodge).
Thanks--the rate is coming up pretty low on this on priorityclub.com (approx. $65/night) so we may take this one.

Best,
Katherine
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:36 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I'm thinking of doing this--we'll see. Many airlines show it as a more expensive route though--but it may be easier to use miles on it.

I did see another post mention that we may not want to drive across the border--why? Long wait, difficulty crossing, just the hassle of switching one country to another, etc.? I suspect all of the above but just curious...

Best,
Katherine

(edited to correct flight info)
I think the in the previous post is a giveaway that you don't want to do that

It would be crazy to fly to Mexico and then to Juarez

Rental cars are expensive, and then you have to deal with the bridge, which can range from 2 minutes to 3 hours, depending on what holiday you are traveling, school is out, time of day, how annoying the customs agent feels that day. So, it's impossible to predict

Just fly to ELP, check the prices in your favorite travel website, i.e. Travelocity, if that's too high, check Hotwire, if that's too high, bid for even less on Priceline

Do a seatch on the downtown HIX, I think someone said that it felt unfinished, nice, but something was missing.

The newest hotels in town are the above mentioned Holiday Inn Express, also the Hampton Inn, Courtyard and Residence Inn, I think those are a pretty safe choice.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfe
I think the in the previous post is a giveaway that you don't want to do that

It would be crazy to fly to Mexico and then to Juarez

Rental cars are expensive, and then you have to deal with the bridge, which can range from 2 minutes to 3 hours, depending on what holiday you are traveling, school is out, time of day, how annoying the customs agent feels that day. So, it's impossible to predict

Just fly to ELP, check the prices in your favorite travel website, i.e. Travelocity, if that's too high, check Hotwire, if that's too high, bid for even less on Priceline

Do a seatch on the downtown HIX, I think someone said that it felt unfinished, nice, but something was missing.

The newest hotels in town are the above mentioned Holiday Inn Express, also the Hampton Inn, Courtyard and Residence Inn, I think those are a pretty safe choice.
Thanks for pointing that out--seems obvious now. Perhaps my sense of humor is declining with age?

Katherine
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:00 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
Juarez has an airport, but I would not try and cross the border in El Paso unless I actually had to. The wait at the bridge might be as long as the drive from DFW or IAH!

PHX is about a 6 1/2 hour drive.
If you insist about a non-stop, that looks to be about as good as you will get.

I would take AA simply because of the route and the aircraft. DFW-ELP is usually a MD-80. CO from IAH is about 50% 737 50% RJ. DL has a stop in ATL, sort of backtracking from NYC.

But if money is the issue, take the least expensive.
That's not backtracking. You would go south-southwest to ATL and then due west.

I would say buy a ticket on whatever airline is the cheapest (the in-flight experience is exactly the same).
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JS
That's not backtracking. You would go south-southwest to ATL and then due west.

I would say buy a ticket on whatever airline is the cheapest (the in-flight experience is exactly the same).
That's what I'm going to do, most likely--just trying to first sort it out and see if I can get one of the tix as a reward ticket on AA...thanks for the advice!

Katherine
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
That's what I'm going to do, most likely--just trying to first sort it out and see if I can get one of the tix as a reward ticket on AA...thanks for the advice!

Katherine
There is a connection in Chicago to EL Paso that I fly when traveling from BDL (Hartford) on AA.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thumper
There is a connection in Chicago to EL Paso that I fly when traveling from BDL (Hartford) on AA.
I saw some that connect in Chicago--doesn't add much travel time (unlike, say, a connection in Denver!) so those flights are definitely still possibilities...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.