Best food in SAT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best food in SAT

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
My girlfriend and I are heading over to the River Walk area this Friday for dinner (I know, I know, we can do better). Looks like the best Tex-Mex would be Rio Rio or Casa Rio... am I missing anything?
Yeah . . . they both suck. The Tex-Mex restaurants on the Riverwalk are generally lousy.

Try Acenar, if you want contemporary Tex-Mex. Very good. Or for traditional Tex-Mex, dig out $5 from your wallet and take a cab to Rosario's (consider walking the 30 minutes back to the Riverwalk after dinner to burn off those extra calories!).

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Sep 10, 2007 at 11:52 pm Reason: Can't spell.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
My girlfriend and I are heading over to the River Walk area this Friday for dinner (I know, I know, we can do better). Looks like the best Tex-Mex would be Rio Rio or Casa Rio... am I missing anything?
Skip it.(Casa Rio I mean. As authentic as a black velvet painting.)

Guadalajara Grill next to the Hilton, lunch, light pregame fare.

The above mentioned La Paloma

For the real food, Mi Tierra over at the market place.(quick ride in a cab)
This place REALLY rocks at the market on Sunday mornings...increidble food from the outdorr vendors.

Little Rhein for steaks, etc. nice place.

To the OP, do the cruise. Of course the food will be awful...its the EXPERIENCE and the river cruise is very interesting and historical

I was the biggest Durty Nellies fan on the planet, they've gone to the dark side and its total chaos now (its bad when the single best feature about a place is the peanuts). Do my serious drinking at the Guadalajara and the new pub down by the Crowne Plaze.....uh.....Waxy O'Conners.

If anyonetells you there nothing to do is SA....be ware, be very aware. It rocks, and a medium level of sophistication, in a way that Dallas, Houston or even Austin does not do.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 7:38 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Yeah . . . they both suck. The Tex-Mex restaurants on the Riverwalk are generally lousy.

Try Acenar, if you want contemporary Tex-Mex. Very good. Or for traditional Tex-Mex, dig out $5 from your wallet and take a cab to Rosario's (consider walking the 30 minutes back to the Riverwalk after dinner to burn of those extra calories!).
Thanks for the advice; I was able to talk her into eating at Rosario's and it was very good. The salsa was as good as advertised. ^

Originally Posted by bbkenney
For the real food, Mi Tierra over at the market place.
We decided to go over to Mi Tierra for breakfast and were very happy with the food and bakery. We bought some gorditas outside from one of the food vendors for the plane ride home.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 28, 2007 at 8:05 am
Old Sep 1, 2007, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Taco Taco Cafe?

Recently saw a show on the Food Channel where Bon Appetit Magazine was rating the Taco Taco Cafe (145 E Hildebrand Ave, I believe) as the best place for a taco in the country.

It doesn't seem to have its own web site, and from the references I find, it looks like it may only be a breakfast/lunch place (i.e., open 7 AM to 2 PM?). Knowledge, opinions, etc.???? Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Am now back from the weekend in SAT. Never got to Taco Taco Cafe, but had EXCELLENT meals at the aforementioned Rosario's (yes, really outstanding, "smokey" salsa) and Paloma Blanca (this was our favorite place).

But also have to add a rave review for the Liberty Bar. Like Paloma Blanca, it is definitely a drive or cab ride from the Riverwalk area. The ambiance was falling down funky (amazed the building is still standing), but the food was simply eclectically outstanding!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
I am surprised no one mentioned Mi Teirra

At least I enjoyed it when I was in San Antonio

They have a Mexican Bakery as well as Mexican food and I belive they are open 24 hrs in the Mercado
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Is the info in this thread still relevant? If so, I guess I should be prepared to be underwhelmed.

Heading to SAT and the Riverwalk for a conference mid-March. Planning on popping over to the Alamo during my couple of free hours on Sunday, but won't have much recreation time for the rest of the conference.

Is there anything that I just absolutely shouldn't miss in the area? I'll be on-foot, so walking distance or reasonable cab fare will be a requirement. Some basics:

Arriving 3/16 early afternoon
Departing 3/19 early afternoon
Hotel: Marriott Rivercenter

TIA
Old Feb 11, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I was reading Texas Monthly a couple of months ago...they listed Bohannon's Prime Steak and Seafood as one of the best places to get a steak in the State, especially the Akaushi steak (which I believe costs $95 a pop). From what I've read on Trip Advisor, it's definitely an expensive place, but the service and food are excellent.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Nanook
I was reading Texas Monthly a couple of months ago...they listed Bohannon's Prime Steak and Seafood as one of the best places to get a steak in the State, especially the Akaushi steak (which I believe costs $95 a pop). From what I've read on Trip Advisor, it's definitely an expensive place, but the service and food are excellent.
It is a decent place, but I still prefer Ruth's Chris to it for steak.

I eat at Bohannon's frequently for lunch, which is a good time to go because the place is dead. I honestly can't see how it makes sense for the restaurant to remain open during lunch as the employee to customer ratio must be close to 1:1. The chicken fried steak is very good.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:09 am

I'll cast another vote for Paloma Blanca (which has already been mentioned a few times in this thread). I've never had a bad meal there and it's a "must visit" for my trips to San Antonio! The staff are always helpful and cheerful as well. In addition to the regular dinner and lunch items, they also have some wonderful "brunch" specials offered on the weekends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.