Best food in SAT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best food in SAT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Chuy's? Second-rate TexMex in both San Antonio and Austin. Actually, I'm probably being generous by calling it second-rate. Why settle for a mediocre TexMex chain deep in the heart of Texas? It would be one thing to recommend a place like Chuy's in Minnesota; it's something else to suggest in in Texas.

For a chain, Ninfa's is much better than Chuy's. The original Ninfa's on Navigation in Houston is actually quite good. The Ninfa's branch in Waco stands head and shoulders above the other offerings in Waco (although that's not really saying much).

In San Antonio, go as I recommended in post #2 in this very thread, to Paloma Blanca and/or Rosario's.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Don't you be bad-mouthing Chuy's. That chicken fried steak is MMMM good.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:25 am

Thanks all for the input...

appreciate the help. I realize most of these may be run of the mill places. I was just hoping to find the best of as we need to stick to these as we are AA Mile hogging on these trips. We must get to 270,000 point by June 1st for Biz class to Italy next year.

Yamonjon
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Hickory Street Bar & Grill was an interesting hole in the wall type place downtown. They used to have these huge spuds - I mean these things were so big they looked like a Texas A&M science experiment - that you could load up with various toppings.
THANK YOU. I've been trying to remember the name of this place forever. I love loaded baked potatoes (and in fact, in my high school/college years) they were the mainstay of my diet (back in the day when I was several sizes smaller than I am now) and Hickory Street was where I always went when in Austin for conferences!
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:47 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Most food on the riverwalk bites. I will add to the short list of restaurants that don't the Fig Tree. It's definitely more of a small intimate place you go with your s/o and is quite expensive but the times I've been there the food has been wonderful and the ambiance is great.

Here is a decent list of good restaurants in S.A. I HEARTILY second La Paloma if you can get away from the 'walk. Great mexican foods and some of the best margaritas I've ever had. The new location is much larger but the waits haven't let up much. La Fonda is a San Antonio tradition. I remember going there with my grandparents when I was 3! I don't think the food is particularly amazing but the place is an institution and I still return out of nostalgia if nothing else.

A fabulous mexican restaurant (NOT Tex Mex) that's relatively close is El Mirador, just south of the Riverwalk. I walked there with my wife from the Westin... don't recall it being that long a walk but I could be wrong. Regardless, skip it for breakfast but for lunch or dinner the food is sublime. I've never been wowed by a salad but they make a raspberry dressing that absolutely knocked my socks off. Highly recommended.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:30 am

Second El Mirador. Saturday for lunch there specials are soups. Thursday for lunch the ribs are excellent.

Josephine's street at Josephine and 281, just north of downtown is cheap and good for lunch or dinner.

Le Reve, expensive french downtown.

Le Reve now has a raw bar open for lunch and dinner which is suppose to be very good.

Most consitent steak on the river is Little Rein, Boudro's is touch and go. but good guacamole.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Rule #1 -- Read SAT Lawyer (above) Avoid the Riverwalk like the plague, with its 24 ounce margaritas and all-you-can-eat nachos.

Rule #2 -- In case of doubt, consult Rule #1.

I can't believe that, with all the knowledgeable locals weighing in, no one has mentioned my favorite San Antonio restaurant -- Azuca, in the King William district. Latin fusion, excellent, with a decent wine selection. HIghly recommended.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Oh, and if you must do the Riverwalk, try Las Canarias (or El Canario, can't remember which). Fairly formal, very good food, vaguely Spanish. No shorts and baseball cap crowd.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:56 pm

I'll second Azuca - I don't live in SAT so was hesitant to endorse it after only one meal there, but very much enjoyed a dinner there last May. As I recall, great seafood (shrimp and ceviche)
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Just finished a competent BBQ dinner at the County Line out here in BFE by our hotel. Why on EARTH my parents wanted to come here is completely beyond me. There is NOTHING TO DO in San Antonio. Sea World? Closed during the week. Six Flags? Yeah, that's closed too. I thought we were going to have to break down today and go to the wigsphere but, alas, that's closed for remodeling. The Riverwalk was kinda cool, but how many shops full of Texas-shaped birdhouses and "don't mess with texas" t-shirts can you look at when it's pouring down rain?

Tomorrow going to Acenar, and have high hopes.

The saving grace is that there's a Popeye's just around the corner from the hotel.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alanw
There is NOTHING TO DO in San Antonio.
You should have delayed your trip a few weeks and been here for Fiesta!

I take it you and the folks aren't big golfers. Because there are certainly plenty of great golf course here. The Quarry, La Cantera, and Cedar Creek are all top shelf public courses.

Go see the Alamo (if you haven't done so already). Visit the missions. Go see the World Champion Spurs in action (next up: Golden State on Saturday).
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by alanw
Just finished a competent BBQ dinner at the County Line out here in BFE by our hotel. Why on EARTH my parents wanted to come here is completely beyond me. There is NOTHING TO DO in San Antonio. Sea World? Closed during the week. Six Flags? Yeah, that's closed too. I thought we were going to have to break down today and go to the wigsphere but, alas, that's closed for remodeling. The Riverwalk was kinda cool, but how many shops full of Texas-shaped birdhouses and "don't mess with texas" t-shirts can you look at when it's pouring down rain?

Tomorrow going to Acenar, and have high hopes.

The saving grace is that there's a Popeye's just around the corner from the hotel.
In college, I spent a few hours at Dirty Nellis on the river, basement of hilton. Never was bored and always had a good time.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:20 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
If one had a choice between Bohanan's and Morton's for a nice, leisurely, quiet, comfortable evening celebrating your 9th anniversary in San Antonio, which of these steak places would you choose?

Or would you choose another steak place in San Antonio?

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
If one had a choice between Bohanan's and Morton's for a nice, leisurely, quiet, comfortable evening celebrating your 9th anniversary in San Antonio, which of these steak places would you choose?

Or would you choose another steak place in San Antonio?
I prefer Ruth's Chris to both. Better service at the Concord location than the Sunset Station location.

J. Alexander's in the Quarry has some very good beef as well (my favorite: the Steak Maui).

But between Bohanan's and Morton's, I'd choose the former.

Better yet, although its a step up in price, pick Le Reve for a special occasion.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:44 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
My girlfriend and I are heading over to the River Walk area this Friday for dinner (I know, I know, we can do better). Looks like the best Tex-Mex would be Rio Rio or Casa Rio... am I missing anything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.