Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Fredricksburg Tx. Worth a visit?

Fredricksburg Tx. Worth a visit?

Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:38 pm

Depends on where you stay. You'll need a car, unless you plan on staying downtown. Head West on I-10, stop off in Boerne if you like, or keep going til you get to the turn-off to Fredricksburg.

From San Antonio, I'd say Fredricksburg is a day trip at the least. If you're into hiking, a day trip to Fredricksburg, eat lunch at Opa's http://opassmokedmeats.com/contact.html then head to Enchanted Rock http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...nchanted_rock/

My picks, if you've "done" downtown, and don't mind a drive (~30min) to get downtown:

Stay at http://www.greystonebnb.com/ In Grey Forest, a nice quiet speed trap of a town (do go the speed limit, they really do radar). Get the "Honeymoon Suite", not the cottage. The cottage is an addition, and while cute, isn't actually part of the main original house. The guys that own it are great, and though their taste is somewhat suspect (much mixing of gothic, french, roman, greek, etc, anything ornate = in this place), the place is really cool. I had my wedding there, and me and one of my bridesmaids stayed there the night before the wedding by ourselves, and I'll swear it's haunted. Friendly types though. They had a party in the pool house, but when we got brave enough to go investigate, all was still. If your daughter wants to stay with you, ask if the tower room is available (they usually just open it for overflow). My son would've loved to have gotten to stay in that room, but he is a "kid" and they don't allow children.

You can try the Grey Moss Inn http://www.grey-moss-inn.com/ just up the road for dinner, but under new management from the last time I had eaten there 10 years previous, my judgement is that while still very lovely, the food is not worth what it costs.

Rather eat at http://www.scenicloopcafe.com/ I recommend the spinach artichoke dip and the pepper encrusted tenderloin. Have their Margaritas. Live music Friday and Saturday nights on the patio. Bonus for parents: they have a great playscape on the patio. Fun for adults and children.

Have a night out at http://www.liveatfloores.com/ *CAUTION* turn down speakers if you are at work, this has a audio file at start up screen. *Bonus* it's Willie.

I do think the drive to Kerrville is worth it for the James Avery Workshop http://secure.jamesavery.com/store-l.../kerrville.jsp

On the way back, take Hwy 16 through Medina, stop off at the Cider Mill for a snack, and you'll pass straight through Bandera on your way back to San Antonio.
October is lovely, hopefully much cooler, and maybe it'll rain before you get here and the whole Hill Country won't dry up and blow into the Gulf.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Fredericksburg is nice if you like shopping for antiques in a small town. Not my cup of tea.

In San Antonio, the Alamo and the Riverwalk are must sees for any out-of-towner.

But somebody else can help you with the sites. Let me give you three restaurant recommendations. Each one a can't miss:
Paloma Blanca. Tex-Mex. Try the enchilades verdes.

Rosario's. Also Tex-Mex. The south of downtown location, not the embarrassing replica of its sister in Terminal 2. Best salsa in town.

Last, but certainly not least: Rudy's. Barbeque. I prefer the Leon Springs location. Right on the way if you decide to go to Fredericksburg after all.
Enjoy your visit to Texas.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 3:14 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Fredericksburg is nice if you like shopping for antiques in a small town. Not my cup of tea.

In San Antonio, the Alamo and the Riverwalk are must sees for any out-of-towner.

But somebody else can help you with the sites. Let me give you three restaurant recommendations. Each one a can't miss:
Paloma Blanca. Tex-Mex. Try the enchilades verdes.

Rosario's. Also Tex-Mex. The south of downtown location, not the embarrassing replica of its sister in Terminal 2. Best salsa in town.

Last, but certainly not least: Rudy's. Barbeque. I prefer the Leon Springs location. Right on the way if you decide to go to Fredericksburg after all.
Enjoy your visit to Texas.
Thanks. The "small town antique shopping" thing is all right, but not my cup of tea either (and plenty of it around home if needed). I've done the Alamo & Riverwalk, so I'll def. check into your resto recco's. Thanks!!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:15 am

IF you have an opportunity to get your hands on a sports car, the hill country can not be beat for touring. Great roads and every 20 to 30 miles a quaint small town to hang out in.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:22 pm

If the 'antique' (= other people's crap) stores of Fredericksburg are not for you, I'd drive out to Llano and check out Coopers BBQ. Some of the best in the Hill Country, and a scenic drive too.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:26 pm

Other recommendations for your trip

What are the essential things we should do?As well as doing the major tourist spots in the city,we like to get 'out of town' and see local life and communities/farming/etc.
Is the Hill Country area a must?
Fredricksburg?[/QUOTE]

forget eating barbeque any place but the City Market in Luling which is about 15 minutes from San Marcos--best brisket and on-site made link sausage anyplace--this area of TX has some of the best barbeque in the entire state--and City Market has been ranked as one of the top sopots for years by Texas Monthly--...there is a great Mexican restaurant in San Marcos as well--think it is called Marguirita's--wonderfully fresh tortillas and great margaritas--but have not been there since our daughter left SouthWest Texas, now called Texas State--a horrible concoction of a name
...you might go to the Texas Monthly web site and look at articles on areas in Texas for smaller town local color....and it has restaurant recommendations and other special events city by city (large towns)

late October will very likely be too cool to swim in Aquarena Springs or to go tubing on the San Marcos or Guadalupe Rivers which is a great summer activity--when the drought has not lowered the river too much...

a recommendation close to SWT is Gruene, a small town adjacent to New Braunfels north of San Marcos on I-35 and definitely worth a visit...Gruene Hall is one of the oldest dance halls in TX, still has for live music on weekends, and was the one used in the movie Michael when John Travolta danced with all the ladies...there is the Grist Mill Restaurant next to it and others close--some nice antiquey-type shops ---very busy on weekends..and has some nice bed and breakfast places...as does New Braunfels--different from motels in San Marcos...
You could visit the WildFlower Farm outside Fredricksberg even though most of flowers will not be blooming they sell seeds and have other plants...
The Town of West on Interstate 35 south of Dallas has the best kolaches--a German pastry--that is something we stop for when we go to San Antonio...

I would recommend you look for book via Amazon.com that gives information about the Texas State Historical Markers located along all roads in Texas--if you want to avoid the Interstates--and almost any roads in TX are more scenic--you can chart your course and stop to read the historical markers--we take ours whenever we drive someplace new and find it gives us insight into the history of Texas and lives of its people--
Texas's Hill Country and/or San Antonio/Austin are wonderful places to visit--especially in October after our summer heat has cooled down...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.