Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Thoughts for visit in November

Old Jul 31, 2020, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Hi Texas,

We currently have a trip planned to the hill country for November with three generations of family.

Over here in Europe the descriptions of Texas make it sound like a land ravaged by disease and where hospitals are about to overflow.

What is life like on the ground at the moment? Is this a trip you think is sensible? Are museums, restaurants etc dealing with this virus sensibly? Would you be happy wandering around with grandparents and babies?

at the moment Im faced with the wish that the flights are cancelled so we dont have a decision to make, but that makes me sad.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by londonsmiler
Over here in Europe the descriptions of Texas make it sound like a land ravaged by disease and where hospitals are about to overflow.

What is life like on the ground at the moment? Is this a trip you think is sensible? Are museums, restaurants etc dealing with this virus sensibly? Would you be happy wandering around with grandparents and babies?

at the moment Im faced with the wish that the flights are cancelled so we dont have a decision to make, but that makes me sad.
I am afraid that the descriptions are accurate

No telling what things will be like November, BUT the US election will be on 3rd, and many people have posted online that they will initiate violence if their side does not win

As for Covid-19, despite infections and deaths going up in Texas, I see less and less social distancing, so I do not expect that situation to get better.
londonsmiler likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 2:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I live in the Austin area. While there is news of cases increasing (they seem to be flattening in this area now, or even slightly decreasing), many people seem to be getting back to normal.
Restaurants are open, I believe at 25% capacity. Some are enforcing this rather strictly, and some not so much.
I just looked at the LBJ Library, and the site says it is closed until further notice. I'd imagine most museums are also closed.

Back in early June, we did a daytrip (during the week) out to Fredricksburg, Texas. Wildseed Farms was open, and not too busy. If the weather is nice, I'd highly recommend a visit there, as you can explore outside areas rather freely. The inside areas had people, but not as busy as I've seen before.
The downtown Fredricksbug area was very busy. They had signs about distancing, wearing masks, etc., but few people seemed to be following that guidance.

Texas now has a state-wide mask ordinance. Specific counties need to opt-out, if they meet the criteria, and wish to.

Generally, from my limited time outside of the house, I'd say that the Austin area is doing fairly well with distancing and mask-wearing. It seems that the larger cities are, but outside of them, not so much.

If you are able to get into the USA, and wish to visit, I think it would be a lovely time. Weather should be nice, and great for outside activities. What are your plans?
Of course between now and November, much can (and probably will) change. I'm thinking of a few days to a week out in west Texas (Toyahvale/Marfa/Big Bend) around the time of our election. Time to get away, get off of social media for a bit, and hopefully return to better news.
londonsmiler likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the replies!

Originally Posted by EmailKid
the US election will be on 3rd, and many people have posted online that they will initiate violence if their side does not win .
I hadnt considered that aspect. Certainly a fun additional thing to throw into the mix,

Originally Posted by aztimm
Restaurants are open, I believe at 25% capacity. Some are enforcing this rather strictly, and some not so much.
This is one of my major concerns as to how well people are respecting the rules that are in place, I dont want to spend the whole time stressed by other peoples lax behaviour especially with the age of my parents.

Good tips for focusing on more outdoor activities and for the pointers that fits us well.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 3:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by londonsmiler
This is one of my major concerns as to how well people are respecting the rules that are in place, I dont want to spend the whole time stressed by other peoples lax behaviour especially with the age of my parents.

Good tips for focusing on more outdoor activities and for the pointers that fits us well.
There are restaurants with some great patios, and those would be great to visit in November. The Oasis at Lake Travis is known for the fantastic sunsets (I've heard the food leaves a bit to be desired). I've enjoyed every visit to River City Grille in Marble Falls. Hula Hut (on Lake Austin) is another great option.
In the current environment, I'd recommend staying in a long-term style hotel, such as a Homewood Suites (the Hilton Version), or similar of other brands. Or go for an Airbnb. That way you can always pick up take-out from a restaurant and bring it back. Or if you want to cook a few nights, that is always an option too.
londonsmiler likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.