Dallas Tourist Ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dallas Tourist Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I didn't even do either of those things in the few months I worked there. I did drive through Dealey Plaza...to get to Deep Ellum. I also really enjoyed Lower Greenville. (I was also in my mid-20's at the time.)
I had a buddy who lived on McKinney Ave. We spent a lot of time in Uptown. Occasionally over to Lower Greenville...
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
She doesn’t watch sports unless it’s “proper” football.
Sweet...a rugby union fan! I like her already! ^
Fraser likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Moving this thread to the Texas forum with a permanent re-direct in the OMNI forum. That way fellow members can respond in either forum.

Cholula
OMNI Co-Moderator
aztimm likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you thought of driving to Arlington to see the Rangers/Texas Live!, just drive 20 more minutes and go to Fort Worth to visit The Modern Art Museum, The Amon Carter Museum, and/or the Fort Worth Zoo.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’m not sure how often she visits the US, but I’d think some good Tex-Mex or Mexican food would be nice.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by csufabel
If you thought of driving to Arlington to see the Rangers/Texas Live!, just drive 20 more minutes and go to Fort Worth to visit The Modern Art Museum, The Amon Carter Museum, and/or the Fort Worth Zoo.
All great recommendations and the stockyards is an experience. I’ve never been, but Billy Bob’s might be fun for an out of towner.

get some good bbq too.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
good tips here thanks. She loves all food but can't handle any heat. In England a green pepper is considered hot LOL
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Can someone recommend an easy way of getting into Dallas (from DFW) and somewhere good and cheap to stay overnight?

Would like to visit the Hard Rock Cafe and Ewing oil building.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:14 am

good tips here thanks. She loves all food but can't handle any heat. In England a green pepper is considered hot LOL
Then try Joe-T's in Ft. Worth. It's near the stockyards, Billy Bobs - "The World's Largest Honky Tonk," and just down the road a piece from the Sid Richardson museum, the Bass Performance Hall and only slightly further fromthe Kimbell, Amon Carter and Modern Art museums.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
Can someone recommend an easy way of getting into Dallas (from DFW) and somewhere good and cheap to stay overnight?

Would like to visit the Hard Rock Cafe and Ewing oil building.
https://www.dart.org/riding/stations...ortstation.asp

Right into downtown Dallas. Not sure how cheap you want to go, but there are sometimes good deals in downtown Dallas and you can use rail and walk to sites.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Book depository and BBQ, that's it.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:19 am

The best Texas style barbecue I've ever had actually was not spicy. It was fatty brisket, sauceless, the flavor coming from a (mild) spice rub and mesquite smoke during the cooking process. You could sauce it up afterwards but the real artform was the meat and smoke. I grew up a KC style fan, where the sauces are more of a centerpiece, but I love Texas 'cue too.

BTW, with an international visitor to Dallas for a week, a little 2- or 3-day roadie to San Antonio and Austin would be probably be on my itinerary. Not to hate on Dallas, but I think we'd all agree that its tourist appeal isn't a full week long. SA has some rich Texas flavor and Austin has a music, art, and culture, plus a lot of the best barbecue in the state.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:54 am
Suspended

Good questions. She’s staying at my place in Frisco. She walks miles everyday in the country with the hounds so no mobility issues.

She doesn’t watch sports unless it’s “proper” football. She would love the botanical gardens though—I didn’t know Dallas had them. Thanks for the tip.

I’m booking her flights as I converted her avois. For someone who has been flying since 1963 she’s still a kettle. Case in point “Ian, the flight from Boston to heathrow will be a ....what’s it called.... redneck flight, right”? Omg mom it’s REDEYE
I live in Frisco. We love living in the Dallas area; going to all the way to San Antonio for the weekend is a complete waste of time and totally overrated.

Does she like to eat out? My wife and I love to eat out all the time and you have a lot of great options around: Legacy, Legacy West, The Star - It's great to walk around those areas as well. As others have mentioned, a trip to downtown Dallas, Lower Greenville for lunch/dinner, Addison for dinner and comedy show, Fort Worth, etc.
It's a great place and I couldn't see living anywhere else. I turned down a job in Austin last week that would have required a move there.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
The PBS show, "The Texas Daytripper," did an episode on Dallas a few years ago.

Here are the highlights:
https://thedaytripper.com/daytrips/dallas-tx/

I ate at Chicken Scratch, on their recommendation, and thought it was great. Not fancy. It does have an area for kids to play, but if you don't have kids (or don't want to see them), there's plenty of space elsewhere. Great views of the Dallas skyline.

We've also visited Reunion Tower and the Perot Museum, on different trips. I ran into the Hard Rock to get a t-shirt too (it is very close to the Perot).
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:27 pm

The general concensus is that Pecan Lodge is the BBQ to go to for out of towners. The brisket is really very good and it is in Deep Ellum so a fun place to visit. I always took my parents there when I used to live in Richardson.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.