Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 Weeks in New Braunfels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:35 am
Original Poster

6 Weeks in New Braunfels

Escaping Wisconsin winter for a few weeks and heading to Texas to do some golfing Mid Feb - end March 2018.
Would appreciate some recommendations on golf courses, restaurants, shopping, things to do, etc..

Been to Austin and San Antonio a couple of times and LOVE both places but wanted to stay out of the thick of things a bit. (but still plan on visiting of course!).
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Check out the Gruene area. Plenty of places to eat/drink, and home of Gruene Hall if you like historical live music places.
It does tend to get overrun with tourists, so going during off-peak times is recommended.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I haven't been, but I've heard good things about Bourne and Fredricksburg.

There's a show called, "Texas Daytripper," that comes on our local PBS station. You may want to check out some of the towns nearby; they seem to visit almost everywhere.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Samantha Brown just did an episode of, "Places to Love," on the Texas Hill Country:
https://samantha-brown.com/episodes/texas-hill-country/

It was pretty good. I want to go to that wildflower seed farm.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:35 pm

I know it is too late for the OP, but we took a drive out to Fredricksburg today. This is from Wildseed Farms, in November. If it looks like this now, I can't imagine what it looks like in the spring!!!!

Plus we saw at least a dozen wineries along the way, probably closer to 20.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

We loved the area and people so much that we are returning again in Feb/Mar 2019 for another month!
aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by KimInWis
We loved the area and people so much that we are returning again in Feb/Mar 2019 for another month!
Wow that's great!

I had heard about the area but didn't really think it could be all that different than where I'm at... But as I told someone earlier today, the drive there (no freeways), kind of puts you in a more relaxed mood. There are small towns, then suddenly you start seeing signs for wineries!

I really want to go back, but stay out there, at least for a night or 2.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
I'm sorry that I just saw this now. I am also a Wisconsinite and moved to New Braunfel's end of 2017. Work brought me back up beginning of this year.

Its a great area, growing on a daily basis. Hope you enjoy your time there.

Great BBQ - Coopers
Check out Guadalupe Brewing
Check if you'll be there for the Poteet Strawberry Festival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.