Search

Downtown Fort Worth to Love Field

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:30 pm
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Downtown Fort Worth to Love Field

hi, on Friday I will be departing on Southwest at 9:45 pm. I will be in downtown Fort Worth the whole day. Won’t have a car and don’t plan on getting one. I have decided I will be riding the TRE and DART and have a pretty good idea as to when I should transfer, etc. I am wondering.,,
-is the TRE and DART reliable?
-how early should I arrive at Love Field (no bags, mobile boarding pass)
I would have to leave around 4:55 pm and would arrive at the airport around 8. I am find with that but want to make sure I’m not going to be delayed or stranded.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:20 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jackvogt
hi, on Friday I will be departing on Southwest at 9:45 pm. I will be in downtown Fort Worth the whole day. Won’t have a car and don’t plan on getting one. I have decided I will be riding the TRE and DART and have a pretty good idea as to when I should transfer, etc. I am wondering.,,
-is the TRE and DART reliable?
-how early should I arrive at Love Field (no bags, mobile boarding pass)
I would have to leave around 4:55 pm and would arrive at the airport around 8. I am find with that but want to make sure I’m not going to be delayed or stranded.
If it's this Friday, better check schedules @:-)

Originally Posted by http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org
TRE will operate a Saturday schedule on Friday, November 24, 2017 (the Friday after Thanksgiving Day).
Holiday service.

DART is not as important, but they too will run on Saturday schedule. The reason why I say that is that light rail and Love Link from there to DAL run every 20 minutes except off, off hours.

Now for the bad news:

Neither one has stellar reliability, with TRE having delays at times due to switch problems and/or accidents at crossings since they have plenty of level crossings. DART rail is also subject to problems, though not quite as often. The buses, well you are at the whim of drivers

Recall one time after 8 p.m. where they go from 20 minute to 30 schedule on Sundays (probably other days as well), which means one of two buses go to the garage. Well on this particular day it appears that they BOTH went to the garage, and there was not a one running, as best as I can tell for the rest of the night. Walking the bus route it took half hour to get to DART Rail, and there was NO Love Link bus anywhere to be seen at or after 9 p.m.

BTW, I know the system somewhat, and can't think of an easy way to change to get to DAL, because TRE and DART connect in Irving Downtown (Heritage Station) and then again at AA Arena, which would probably be the easiest thing to do. Orange or Green Line from there to Inwood/Love Field station and #524 aka Love Link from there.

I am a budget traveler so I too would do this to save money, but be prepared with plan B (or even C). My rule of thumb when in Dallas was ALWAYS to take transportation that would enable me to make my flight if that one didn't show up and the next one would get me there.
aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
With the holiday, I'd guess the airport will be pretty quiet Friday night. DAL is pretty compact, if you step off the Love Link bus at 9 pm, you can still probably be at your gate before boarding begins. So targeting 8 seems fairly safe, but I agree with the plan B advice - if you have Uber/Lyft on your phone, that would cover you just in case.
aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:15 pm
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
As usual, thank y’all so much for your awesome input. I am planning to take the TRE from Fort Worth to Medical Market and then I’ll uber/Lyft from there.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jackvogt
As usual, thank y’all so much for your awesome input. I am planning to take the TRE from Fort Worth to Medical Market and then I’ll uber/Lyft from there.
That stop will almost certainly be deserted Friday, as it's almost exclusively used by employees of Children's Hospital, Parkland Hospital and UT Southwestern Medical Center, which are mostly closed for Thanksgiving.

Not sure how happy they will be picking you up there, but maybe it does not matter. There is a Denny's less than five minute walk from there, IIRC you can see it from the platform.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.