Search

Flying from X to SAT/AUS/IAH, etc for COTA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Nice post ^

And to address the one sentence out of your post, the cool stuff going on will make those expensive hotels even more expensive @:-)

Considering how inexpensive I can get a hotel in Texas outside of Austin, it just boggles the mind (at least my mind).
I'm pretty sure most of the downtown hotels are sold out that weekend at this point. Those that aren't will be $$$$, even if they might not get that $$$$ now as I'm guessing nearly all of the out-of-towners coming for the race next month have already booked. But the prices for the downtown hotels during F1 (and SXSW for that matter) are .

But, if we had as cheap of real estate as much of the rest of Texas does...it wouldn't cost more than those other Texas locations you mention .
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by MissJ
As for hotels, look at Round Rock. Hotels in Austin are crazy high and are even if you book a year out like I do, but RR can be a bargain. Also some great deals up in the Arboretum area. That's where we normally stay but have done RR a couple of times. Having been to Austin dozens of times, I don't care if I stay downtown but that's just me.
I was curious so I looked up Hilton properties in metro Austin for that weekend. Most are sold out (even up in Georgetown). Those few that do have rooms are quite $$$. The Hilton Garden Inn Austin/Round Rock is $208/night.
The Hampton Inn Hutto is $189/night. If need be, that isn't a bad drive down to COTA, however it is on a toll road.

Surprisingly, flight options for that weekend aren't too crazy yet. I looked at Google Maps, WAS-AUS (+SAT, GRK) and there's quite a few in the $300-400 range, if you're not averse to Frontier. As noted, you can find less to IAH or DFW.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:19 pm

Yeah, it looks like a lot of hotels are still being booked and prices going up more. I guess a lot of people do wait. I checked prices just a few weeks ago as I had to b change my departure from Sunday to Monday and there were a lot of under $200 hotels available that are now full.

New Braunfels and Seguin are still showing bargains. Not a bad drive either. No tolls.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
I looked at Google Maps, WAS-AUS (+SAT, GRK) and there's quite a few in the $300-400 range, if you're not averse to Frontier.
Ah yes, F9

Up there with Spirit (NK) competing for most dissatisfaction among American flying pubic @:-)

Right now #2 , so I'm sure they will try harder

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.