Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

8:30 between flights at IAH - suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Hi everyone

I'm arriving in at Houston just before midday, before the 20:25 flight back to Heathrow. Anyone got experience of whether that's enough time for a cab in to the city to visit some museums and back, or the space centre, or anything else?

Shame there aren't any trains, and the busses look pretty slow.

Suggestions gratefully received.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Hi Midlander - have a little nosey over on the Texas thread quite informative - also maybe ask specifics there too ?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas-695/
Old May 22, 2017, 6:35 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I asked for a moderator to move this to the relevant Destination forum as this is not relevant for BA or BAEC.

The answering posts will be moved there too so:
- I would give a pass on NASA for such a short layover: it is quite south of Downtown so you are looking at easily 60 minutes drive just to go there, and that is assuming low traffic. Moreover the NASA is not that interesting unfortunately and dumb-ed down. If you are a space exploration buff, you will be disappointed I am afraid.
- You have enough times to go for a late lunch in Rice Village followed by a quick visit to the Museum of fine arts. However the traffic back to IAH at around 18:00 will be heavy.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Are you arriving soon? I ask because an afternoon in May is quite nicer than an afternoon in August when the heat is at its worst.

I would definitely leave the airport - 8 hours is a long time at IAH. If you go online and look at some of the options you might see something of interest. my thoughts would be perhaps -
A visit to NASA's rocket park - for me - seeing the old Mercury rocket (Apollo rocket) is worth a visit.
The Battleship Texas isn't too far - perhaps an acquired taste but better than sitting in the airport for 8 hours.
You could rent a car and just go for a drive - if you've never been to Houston.
Some people who have never fired a gun might enjoy a shooting range.
At the very least you should go out and get some great food - BBQ - Tex Mex - steaks...
Old May 23, 2017, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Hi there

Thanks for the replies - of course, it's at the end of August!

I'm travelling with my retired mother, who's a bit of a pacifist, so I'm not sure I'd be allowed to go to a gun range... you never know though, perhaps I'll ask.

Any recommendations for food then in downtown Houston?
Old May 23, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Midlander
Any recommendations for food then in downtown Houston?
Here's a few to start, but being Houston, there are too many options so it would help to know preferences.

- Conservatory is relatively new and getting great reviews. A food hall featuring multiple local restaurants. http://conservatoryhtx.com/

- If you're a craft beer person, I recommend Flying Saucer downtown as a bar. If you want to try local breweries out, 8th Wonder is right next to downtown and Under the Radar is just south of downtown and they both have taprooms. Treat the breweries with caution in August though since the indoor spaces typically lack air conditioning.

- Treebeards is really good cajun/southern food (only open for lunch)
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Quite to my surprise, my mother wants to go to a range and shoot...

SO i guess I'm also on the look out for range suggestions... Are there any outdoor long ranges, or are they all indoor short ones? I've never shot a handgun, so I'd probably be quite satisfied by that, but I have shot a lot of rifles in my time and would like to do some of that for old time's sake... but that would be better on a longer range.

Thank you for your advice so far.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
While I haven't been to this range, it has good reviews on Google. It's also a relatively short drive from the airport and rents all varities of handguns as well as some of the heavier rifles. http://www.springgunsandammo.com/range

All of the ranges I've personally been to are all at least an hour drive from IAH. I have been here, but it's all the way over by George Bush Park and I am not sure if they rent guns (when I went, we brought our own). http://www.amshootcenters.com/

Others may have suggestions too.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:03 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
There are a lot of carter's country ranges around also and several others including a newer one in Bellaire. Would depend on where you want to go eat and the type of food.

After shooting, the Menil collection museum is free and very nice in the Montrose area where there are many restaurants.

IAH to NASA and back would be a bit much given the timing IMO (Hobby airport yes, IAH no)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.