Search
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport

AA Forum Guide to DFW

Guide to layovers at DFW

DFW Flight Connections

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

DFW Airport General Questions [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2023, 4:36 am

I like the idea of going to downtown Dallas and I have booked a hotel in walking distance of Centreport/DFW Airport station.

For added convenience, I am thinking of changing the hotel for the Hyatt Regency and again using the train/metro to get to downtown (I've asked the hotel if they will store my luggage for a few hours after I check-out and am waiting for a reply - they may have rules being an in-airport hotel!)
Old Aug 2, 2023, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by SandLake
I like the idea of going to downtown Dallas and I have booked a hotel in walking distance of Centreport/DFW Airport station.

For added convenience, I am thinking of changing the hotel for the Hyatt Regency and again using the train/metro to get to downtown (I've asked the hotel if they will store my luggage for a few hours after I check-out and am waiting for a reply - they may have rules being an in-airport hotel!)
Just an FYI, the travel time on DART to downtown is right at an hour. And that is from the time you get on the train -- does not include any time you spend waiting for the train. Not intending to discourage you -- driving can take almost as long, depending on the time of day. Just wanted to make you planned accordingly. You can download the timetables at www.dart.org .
Old Aug 2, 2023, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 466SHH
Just an FYI, the travel time on DART to downtown is right at an hour.
Actually, to get right downtown it's just a few minutes over an hour

This was my almost exclusive way to travel to DFW for over 10 years when I lived in Dallas.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 6:45 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
If you get lucky with the schedules, you can take TRE to downtown Dallas from Centreport which is a bit faster than DART.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 7:21 pm

True, BUT you have to take the shuttle and TRE runs what, once every couple of hours outside of rush hour (and not at all on Sundays)

And given how (relatively) often I get an alert about a delay, a mechanical, and even collision with a car ..... sure, it's a nicer ride, but even as unreliable as DART can be, it's still way ahead of TRE
Old Aug 3, 2023, 8:13 am

I have pretty much all day - all day SUNDAY that is - I might have to have a re-think
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:16 am

I have pretty much all day - all day SUNDAY that is - I might have to have a re-think
Well, light rail Green Line runs from Terminal A to downtown seven days a week, and generally has fewer pax on Sundays.

Of course if it were me, I would take the light rail from Terminal B to downtown Fort Worth. It's relatively new, so I have not had a chance to use it, but the vids and pix posted online look nice. As former Dallas and Fort Worth resident, I like Fort Worth better
Old Aug 3, 2023, 11:21 am

I see those all take about an hour too, a 2 hour round trip seems like a lot.

If I could find an easy access BBQ place - for someone who has never been to Texas and it doesn't have to be the No1 spot in Texas, somewhere above average, happy to go a few stops on light rail or an Uber - I'd appreciate some advice!

As things stand a wander around the Grapevine Mall might have to do!!!
Old Aug 3, 2023, 12:32 pm

I can vouch for Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse on Inwood, though it's quite a few stops. Inwood was my stop when living in Dallas and using light rail, so know it well, and know it takes almost exactly 40 minutes from DFW, and Green Line runs every 20 minutes during the day.

It is the original location, though I'm not sure it matters .... they have a few throughout the metroplex these days. About a mile or so from Inwood Station, so an easy walk, except in the heat of summer

The food is very good
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Well, light rail Green Line runs from Terminal A to downtown seven days a week, and generally has fewer pax on Sundays.

Of course if it were me, I would take the light rail from Terminal B to downtown Fort Worth. It's relatively new, so I have not had a chance to use it, but the vids and pix posted online look nice. As former Dallas and Fort Worth resident, I like Fort Worth better
Actually, it's the DART Orange line, not the Green line. I just double checked it on the DART site. But yes, depending on where downtown you go, it could take a few minutes more than an hour. Last time I did it (pre pandemic) I think it was an hour and 5 minutes to the Pearl St. stop. You do still have to get to Terminal A to pick it up from the airport.

That said, if the OP is booking a hotel overnight, there are lots of hotels in Downtown Dallas. A few new ones have opened recently. The problem is that there is not much going on downtown in the evenings, although Klyde Warren park is always pretty lively when I drive by on my way home. . .
Old Aug 6, 2023, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by 466SHH
Actually, it's the DART Orange line, not the Green line. I just double checked it on the DART site. But yes, depending on where downtown you go, it could take a few minutes more than an hour. Last time I did it (pre pandemic) I think it was an hour and 5 minutes to the Pearl St. stop. You do still have to get to Terminal A to pick it up from the airport.
. . .
OOOOOPS, you are right ...... as many times as I've done the Orange Line ...... Green Line meets Orange Line at Bachman Lake station, and on my several very late night trips from DFW I had to change there ..... maybe that is what clouded my memory.

Ya, when you have ADD (well, apparently ADHD according to my doctor), you try your best to remember things. One of them was (and is I suppose), to keep repeating to myself "do NOT exit secure area after getting off the plane at Term E, do to exit .... continue to SkyTrain to Term A"

Came very close to leaving secure area a couple of time, which of course would have been a potential disaster, as the "bus" outside secure area late at night takes forever and would have probably caused me to miss the last Orange Line to town
466SHH likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:25 pm

I'm in Northern Ireland (the dart.org website is not available here but there's always a way!) and I had figured out it was the Orange line but I just thought it was a slip of the keyboard.

I have discovered what appears to be a good BBQ place near the airport - Hard Eight. Is it worth considering?
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:34 pm

I'm in Northern Ireland (the dart.org website is not available here but there's always a way!) and I had figured out it was the Orange line but I just thought it was a slip of the keyboard.

I have discovered what appears to be a good BBQ place near the airport - Hard Eight. Is it worth considering?
I haven't been to the one near the airport but the one in Roanoke was very good.I went back in 2019. I don't think you can go wrong with either and if you don't get a lot of BBQ from where you're from, it is definitely worth considering.
SandLake likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador

Here's a PDF of the DART map
SandLake and 466SHH like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: AA
Can anyone recommend a decent sit down breakfast at DFW?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.