Search
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport

AA Forum Guide to DFW

Guide to layovers at DFW

DFW Flight Connections

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

DFW Airport General Questions [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Um, is this a nonstop to Japan? I have a recollection that you cannot purchase duty free without a boarding pass for Int'l flight.

Now the good news is, is that alcohol taxes are low in Texas, so IME it's actually cheaper to purchase alcohol in regular liquor store in Texas (suspect same for wine). Which of course would not get around the problem of it sitting on a tarmac
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Um, is this a nonstop to Japan? I have a recollection that you cannot purchase duty free without a boarding pass for Int'l flight.

Now the good news is, is that alcohol taxes are low in Texas, so IME it's actually cheaper to purchase alcohol in regular liquor store in Texas (suspect same for wine). Which of course would not get around the problem of it sitting on a tarmac
Yes, I will be flying a direct flight from DFW to Tokyo after an overnight connection at DFW, so I thought I would rent a car and drive to the nearest total wine, but yes, the summer heat problem remains..
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by kentauta
Yes, I will be flying a direct flight from DFW to Tokyo after an overnight connection at DFW, so I thought I would rent a car and drive to the nearest total wine, but yes, the summer heat problem remains..
Total Wine is a good place - any place that sells Becherovka (Czech liquor/bitter) must be good Seriously, it is good.

Not sure when you are flying, but after the recent heavy rain and flood it has cooled off a LOT, and near forecast is for temps well below seasonal. Of course no telling how long that will last (I am currently on Gulf coast in greater Houston area where it did not "cool off" as much).

Terminal D is the Int'l terminal, so if you were to do it at the airport, that is the place. Given how obscenely expensive rental cars are these days .....
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Total Wine is a good place - any place that sells Becherovka (Czech liquor/bitter) must be good Seriously, it is good.

Not sure when you are flying, but after the recent heavy rain and flood it has cooled off a LOT, and near forecast is for temps well below seasonal. Of course no telling how long that will last (I am currently on Gulf coast in greater Houston area where it did not "cool off" as much).

Terminal D is the Int'l terminal, so if you were to do it at the airport, that is the place. Given how obscenely expensive rental cars are these days .....
I will fly next weekend. Great point about weather cool down. Weather forecast doesn't look too bad, and my morning departure from DFW should help (if on time), too. You are right, car rental looks pretty expensive ($120 for 3 hours!). I will probably save more than that for a dozen bottles (California wines are expensive in Japan), but maybe not so much given the strong US dollars..
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
How much of a mess is DFW currently? Seeing photos of a deicing truck hitting a plane, BA A380 diverting to MIA, planes lined up all over the place, including arrivals due to no gate space.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
How much of a mess is DFW currently? Seeing photos of a deicing truck hitting a plane, BA A380 diverting to MIA, planes lined up all over the place, including arrivals due to no gate space.
Per the flightaware misery map, 155 flights cancelled, 48 delayed, and I suspect that to climb. FAA shows a ground delay program for flights to DFW with average delays of 5.5 hours for arriving aircraft.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by wrp96
Per the flightaware misery map, 155 flights cancelled, 48 delayed, and I suspect that to climb. FAA shows a ground delay program for flights to DFW with average delays of 5.5 hours for arriving aircraft.
Yep, saw that on there. It's clear that we don't know how to deal with this stuff down here.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Yep, saw that on there. It's clear that we don't know how to deal with this stuff down here.
If it's ice like it is here where I am, there is no dealing with it. It's totally different than snow. Even my Alaskan and Canadian friends and family would agree.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
If it's ice like it is here where I am, there is no dealing with it. It's totally different than snow. Even my Alaskan and Canadian friends and family would agree.
Ops still seem to be running with minimal issues, there are planes taking off and landing
aztimm and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
We'll be flying an airline that doesn't participate in Precheck, so I have a couple of questions about cleaning security at terminal D:
1. Has anyone used the fastpass system they introduced for Terminal D security in 2021? Looks like the program is still active.
2. Are there priority lanes for business class passenger or OneWorld elites? I was just on the DFWAirport website page which shows current wait times for security, and for terminal D it's marked the priority lines as currently closed. I don't know if that's a time of day thing (1PM local time) or if they don't have any priority lanes currently. It has a note that says: "Hours may vary between 4:00 AM - 10:15 PM"

It's just been a long time since I've had to go through a normal security line and I'm not looking forward to it, so trying to figure out options! I even thought about trying a CLEAR membership but it looks like they are only in terminal E at DFW.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 3:13 pm

Pretty sure there is a Premium Class priority lane as well as Clear in Term D, BUT you can enter DFW at ANY terminal as long as you have a boarding pass

If you cannot get a BP online, there is an automatic checkin machine inside the first entrance to Term A (closest to DART light rail). While years ago it did not work with United,, it has last few times. Can't vouch for other airlines, but it seems to list all of the ones that fly to DFW.

From there it's a quick ride to any other terminal via Skylink. As DART user, Ive entered Term A (AA terminal) many, many times over the years, though not this year. Easy peasy, either with mobile BP and/or paper BP from online checkin or abovementioned printed BP from machine (using either UA # or inserting CC for identification).
aztimm and SamirD like this.
Old May 6, 2023, 7:24 pm

Agree with the idea of entering DFW from any terminal. I lived there until two years ago and while I was primarily a UA flyer, if I wasn't flying UA, I'd still generally park at Terminal E (as parking was easy/consistent there) and then take the AirTrain to my departure terminal.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 7:21 am

I have a 24hr layover at DFW in a few months time, I can see that quite a few local hotels offer free shuttles but I have spent a lot of time over the years waiting on shuttles, can someone recommend a hotel with a 'good' shuttle service. I'm not expecting private taxi levels of service but I don't want to be standing about for more than half an hour.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 2:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by SandLake
I have a 24hr layover at DFW in a few months time, I can see that quite a few local hotels offer free shuttles but I have spent a lot of time over the years waiting on shuttles, can someone recommend a hotel with a 'good' shuttle service. I'm not expecting private taxi levels of service but I don't want to be standing about for more than half an hour.
Will you have much luggage to deal with?

For 24 Hours, I'd suggest getting away from the airport area.
* Take DART to downtown Dallas
* Take TEXRail to Ft Worth

There are a variety of hotels and things to do in either city. Trains run very early and very late, and don't take very long.

If you've never been to downtown Dallas, I'd highly recommend going. The area around Dealey Plaza is maintained as it was back in 1963. The Perot Science Museum is worth a few hours, especially if it is a warm day. I'm sure others can chime in on Ft Worth (I've only been there once).
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by SandLake
I also recommend taking an Uber outside the airport area. You can generally get back to the airport within 30 mins to an hour depending how far you go out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.