Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

how long to get out of IAH?

how long to get out of IAH?

Old Jun 15, 15, 10:43 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13
how long to get out of IAH?

Flying into IAH from Toronto next Feb.

Land at 1613.
Have booked an Enterprise car rental that is a few miles away from the airport.
They close at 1800.

Is there a chance there won't be time?

I have been at YYZ before where it took us over 2 hours to get our luggage, clear customs and get out of the airport.

I could book from the Enterprise desk right in the airport, but the cost goes from $160 - $350 for three days.
mcewen is offline  
Old Jun 15, 15, 10:45 am
  #2  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,336
Moving thread to the FT Texas Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
obscure2k is online now  
Old Jun 15, 15, 11:21 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,307
You're arriving at IAH as a domestic flight due to Canadian pre-clearance. Plenty of time if you arrive on-time.
txflyer77 is online now  
Old Jun 15, 15, 12:18 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Xiamen
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 77
txflyer is right - you will land as a domestic flight and will not go through customs again since there are US Border Patrol agents at YYZ that will handle it. IAH is a large airport but since you are exiting and not changing flights you'll be fine. Just make sure that the shuttle runs regularly so you're not waiting a long period of time in the Houston heat & humidity (it's like a sauna here, not pleasant)
undergrace is offline  
Old Jun 15, 15, 12:28 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by undergrace View Post
... Just make sure that the shuttle runs regularly so you're not waiting a long period of time in the Houston heat & humidity (it's like a sauna here, not pleasant)
Even in the beginning of February?
mcewen is offline  
Old Jun 15, 15, 1:18 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Xiamen
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 77
Originally Posted by mcewen View Post
Even in the beginning of February?
Sorry, skimmed past the Feb mention. It should be cold and dry then - one of the only tolerable times of year humidity-wise.

Maybe you'll luck-out and there will be a "chance of snow" and the roads will be completely clear because this city doesn't know how to drive in anything besides sunny weather. It's quite comical to see massive school and business closings just to have literally nothing happen.
undergrace is offline  
Old Jun 15, 15, 1:27 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by undergrace View Post
Sorry, skimmed past the Feb mention. It should be cold and dry then - one of the only tolerable times of year humidity-wise.

Maybe you'll luck-out and there will be a "chance of snow" and the roads will be completely clear because this city doesn't know how to drive in anything besides sunny weather. It's quite comical to see massive school and business closings just to have literally nothing happen.
Cold?

Uh oh...
on the other hand.. I am interested in what your version of "cold" is. I met someone once from Florida who thought of anything under 60 was cold.

Personally.. if it is warmer than 50-55, I am in shorts.
mcewen is offline  
Old Jun 16, 15, 10:05 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: IAH
Posts: 362
Originally Posted by mcewen View Post
Cold?

Uh oh...
on the other hand.. I am interested in what your version of "cold" is. I met someone once from Florida who thought of anything under 60 was cold.

Personally.. if it is warmer than 50-55, I am in shorts.
This past February we had highs of 43-82 and lows of 30-64. I believe the average historical temps are highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s, but as you can see, actuals can vary a lot.
AggieTraveler is offline  
Old Jun 24, 15, 9:49 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Xiamen
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 77
It really varies in February - this past year we barely made it down to the upper 30s, but a few years back I remember it getting into the 10s/20s at night, and not much warmer in the daytime. Just check the forecast before you go. With climate change making our temperatures fluctuate so much there's really no way to know until it's time.
undergrace is offline  
Old Jun 24, 15, 8:33 pm
  #10  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR/SEA
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 13,260
Originally Posted by mcewen View Post
Is there a chance there won't be time?
Call them that you're at the airport if running late. Maybe they can wait a few minutes if you're running late.
EmailKid is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread