Search

DFW Terminal D to Terminal A

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:15 am
pn1
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Frequent Flyer
DFW Terminal D to Terminal A

I will be arriving at DFW Terminal D on QF7.

After clearing immigration and customs I want to take the DART light rail downtown.

I understand DART starts from Terminal A.

What is the best way to get from Terminal D to Terminal A? Is it possible to walk?

I understand the Skytrain is within the secured area so would not be possible to use after clearing immigration and customs?

Paul in Australia
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by pn1

After clearing immigration and customs I want to take the DART light rail downtown.

What is the best way to get from Terminal D to Terminal A? Is it possible to walk?

I understand the Skytrain is within the secured area so would not be possible to use after clearing immigration and customs?

Paul in Australia
Yes, after clearing customs, you will be landside. You won't be able to get back in to ride the SkyTrain, nor is it walkable. Instead, head curbside and look for signs for the Terminal Link. It's a free shuttle van that will take you to the DART train area.

https://dfwairport.com/terminallink/index.php
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by pn1

Ouch.

I've though of it before, but it's not really possible to walk

Originally Posted by swag
Yes, after clearing customs, you will be landside. You won't be able to get back in to ride the SkyTrain, nor is it walkable. Instead, head curbside and look for signs for the Terminal Link. It's a free shuttle van that will take you to the DART train area.
Be prepared for a long and bumpy ride

I did it once from A to E because I wasn't able to checkin for an int'l flight (so no BP to enter secure area in A), and it was well over half hour trip

Be sure to look where these shuttles are going, they tend to go to two terminals, while another shuttle will go to the other two.

On the bright side, the drivers are VERY helpful and courteous ^

Oh, and be prepared for a long ride on Orange Line - the first part is quick, but once you get past Beltline (second stop), there are lots of curves, and it takes forever until you get to Burbank station by Love Field airport.

Oh, and welcome to FlyerTalk pn1
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:58 pm
pn1
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips; I'm a bit of a transit buff so the Orange line won't be a problem although I guess I'll be a bit tired after the long (QF7) flight from Sydney and my connection from Melbourne.

I'll be doing the same trip in reverse (after Christmas) to pick up a rental car (Alamo). I gather I can get the Orange line to Terminal A and then the Alamo shuttle to the car rental depot?

Thanks again from Paul in Australia
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by pn1
I'll be doing the same trip in reverse (after Christmas) to pick up a rental car (Alamo). I gather I can get the Orange line to Terminal A and then the Alamo shuttle to the car rental depot?
Correct.

I've done this before when I could not find a cheap rental car at Love Field to drop off at DFW for an early morning flight. Not many choices early in a.m., as Orange Line starts mostly at Bachman Lake station, and there would be almost an hour connection from Green Line

I am curious why you are renting at the airport, as the taxes are much higher there. Renting off airport can be cheaper, and save some $$$, especially on a multi day trip @:-)
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:17 pm
pn1
Original Poster

Yes; realised the taxes were higher but I believe I got a good deal. And all paid for before the Australian dollar dropped too much! Last year in USA I was getting $1.10 now it's around 80c! Also, I am staying at DFW (Hyatt Regency) before departing the following day for the long trip home via Dubai. Emirates offered a better deal to return to Australia that way rather than the direct route with Qantas!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree, the van ride is not very pleasant and is a poor way for the area to welcome our international visitors.

BTW, pn1, if you will have cell&data service in the US, consider downloading the GoPass app now to buy your DART ticket. You can purchase your ticket on the app when your taxiing on the tarmac or in line at customs, then activate it as you board the train. The in-station ticket machine is efficient enough, but you don't want to be fussing with it (or worse yet, waiting for your turn) when the train is about to depart and the next one is 20 minutes later...
http://www.gopass.biz/gopass/index.html
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:54 am

I am dirt status on American and taking my first flight on them in years in two weeks. I have about two hours and a half hours in their domestic terminal. I have lounge privileges at four or five lounges in Terminal D (international) and Terminal E (Delta and United). How hard a time will I have getting in and out of these terminals with an American Airlines domestic boarding pass?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I am dirt status on American and taking my first flight on them in years in two weeks. I have about two hours and a half hours in their domestic terminal. I have lounge privileges at four or five lounges in Terminal D (international) and Terminal E (Delta and United). How hard a time will I have getting in and out of these terminals with an American Airlines domestic boarding pass?
No trouble at all.

All DFW terminals are connected airside via the SkyLink, and boarding passes from all airlines can be used to clear security at any terminal.

And some AA domestic flights use the international D terminal anyway; maybe you will even depart from there (won't know until that day).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.