Search

Houston Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G
Houston Hotels

Hi all,

I'll be traveling to Houston, TX for a 2 day trip towards the end of October with 34 of my colleagues. We'll be staying for a single night in Houston and then fly back. I am looking at hotels on Kayak and Hotelplanner but I wanted to ask for advice as to which area to stay at. Is downtown Houston similar to all the big cities in US? I didn't like downtown LA for example, not much to do, not much to see. Looking for a hotel which wouldn't be troublesome to walk around with 34 people and nearby things to do and see really.

Thanks for your advice.

Best,
Basar
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Hilton Gold, SPG lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Maker's Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by Basar
Hi all,

I'll be traveling to Houston, TX for a 2 day trip towards the end of October with 34 of my colleagues. We'll be staying for a single night in Houston and then fly back. I am looking at hotels on Kayak and Hotelplanner but I wanted to ask for advice as to which area to stay at. Is downtown Houston similar to all the big cities in US? I didn't like downtown LA for example, not much to do, not much to see. Looking for a hotel which wouldn't be troublesome to walk around with 34 people and nearby things to do and see really.

Thanks for your advice.

Best,
Basar
Hard to recommend, without knowing a bit more about what you are looking for, or looking to do. Generally, Houston, like most places in Texas, is a driving city. Its big, and there is sprawl.

There are probably four areas that you might want to consider.

1- Downtown. This is generally safe, and you can walk. But a bit uninteresting (probably a bit closer to downtown LA in feel).

2- Galleria area - This is a nice area, west of downtown. Lots of places to eat, and shop. But walking will be a bit harder

3- Airport - Not recommended.

4- Suburbs - Perhaps something like The Woodlands. This is on the north side of town, about 30 minutes from the airport (same distance as downtown). You can walk and lots of places to eat, but its not a vibrant, big-city environment.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by timg
Hard to recommend, without knowing a bit more about what you are looking for, or looking to do. Generally, Houston, like most places in Texas, is a driving city. Its big, and there is sprawl.

There are probably four areas that you might want to consider.

1- Downtown. This is generally safe, and you can walk. But a bit uninteresting (probably a bit closer to downtown LA in feel).

2- Galleria area - This is a nice area, west of downtown. Lots of places to eat, and shop. But walking will be a bit harder

3- Airport - Not recommended.

4- Suburbs - Perhaps something like The Woodlands. This is on the north side of town, about 30 minutes from the airport (same distance as downtown). You can walk and lots of places to eat, but its not a vibrant, big-city environment.
Thanks Tim.

We have 9 Dodge Grand Caravans reserved for us at the airport, so transportation is not a problem. I heard the Westside/Uptown area is quite nice. Is that the Galleria area?

Basar
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:14 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Yep

Yes, that's the area Tim mentioned.

Agree downtown is a lot like LA - pretty boring after business hours. The Woodlands is not really a consideration if you want to be in Houston, it is quite a way out of town.

If you would enterain the notion of a boutique propriety an option would be the Zaza (formerly the Warwick) a Kimpton like property which verges on trying too hard trendy but stops short of coy and enjoys a great location in the museum district and the great assortment of restaurants in the adjacent Montrose neighborhood.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
Watch out for parking charges

Be sure to check parking charges for the nine vans. It will vary greatly between parts of town and even different hotels in the same area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.