Road construction and toll roads around DFW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Road construction and toll roads around DFW

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
I live in Far North Dallas, I need to go North and East but I can not stand the mess at the North airport exit. Somehow I wound up going 114 West one night when I was dead dog tired. I have started taking the South exit because I just cannot figure out what the h e double L is going on with the North exit even though I get alerts and look at the maps. Plus North DFW airport exit is just too congested. I go South to 183, 183 East to Pres George Bush/161 which turns into the PGB/190 and then head home. It's longer from a mileage standpoint but it lowers the frustration level while exiting the airport. Someone let me know when the North exit is all done, for now I just give up on it.

I've thought about doing that but 121 is so much better for me that PGB. I may have to try it.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by keeper22
I've thought about doing that but 121 is so much better for me that PGB. I may have to try it.
So I was looking at all of the side roads you could take to get back on 121 if you took the South exit but they all require you to go back through that mess called 121/114/635 hell. I got no ideas for how to best exit the airport to go onto 121. I just hope and pray that they don't do anything to the south exit and that flow while I am avoiding the North exit.

I can tell you South Exit/183E/161N/190E adds about 5-7 minutes to my pre-construction drive but it takes my frustration level down to zero.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
To get to 635 from the North Exit:

-Go out the North Exit and follow the road. All lanes will converge into one singular left lane about ¾ of a mile from the exit.

-Follow 114 and take the first exit you can. This exit will be 1.5 miles down the road.

-Do a U-turn at the light and get back on the highway.

-Get in the extreme left lane and follow the detour signs

-There is a hairpin turn letting you get to 635 in both directions. If you miss it, you will have to loop around again twice.

This is always an adventure in the dark!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by spankytoes
To get to 635 from the North Exit:

-Go out the North Exit and follow the road. All lanes will converge into one singular left lane about ¾ of a mile from the exit.

-Follow 114 and take the first exit you can. This exit will be 1.5 miles down the road.

-Do a U-turn at the light and get back on the highway.

-Get in the extreme left lane and follow the detour signs

-There is a hairpin turn letting you get to 635 in both directions. If you miss it, you will have to loop around again twice.

This is always an adventure in the dark!
That works, I have done it before. One night it took me 45 minutes to get from the North exit toll booth to the 114 exit because of the congestion and this was at 11:00 PM on a weeknight. It only takes 7 minutes for me to loop around South. I will just leave that North exit to the rest of y'all for the time being.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
When did they change up the route to LBJ? I used it on Thursday and I was able to go from the north exit to LBJ in a "straight" shot.

Sure, it gets narrow and down to one lane for a bit. But I was able to go directly there. No getting on 114 and doing u-turns.

This was Thursday at about 6:30 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
When did they change up the route to LBJ? I used it on Thursday and I was able to go from the north exit to LBJ in a "straight" shot.

Sure, it gets narrow and down to one lane for a bit. But I was able to go directly there. No getting on 114 and doing u-turns.

This was Thursday at about 6:30 PM.
It's intermittent. Generally the regular "straight shot" route is open during the day, but closes completely many evenings around 8pm - 6 am; that's when spankytoes detour may be needed.

Latest scheduled closures at http://www.dfwconnector.com/laneclosures.php
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by swag
It's intermittent. Generally the regular "straight shot" route is open during the day, but closes completely many evenings around 8pm - 6 am; that's when spankytoes detour may be needed.

Latest scheduled closures at http://www.dfwconnector.com/laneclosures.php
ah.. OK

I am usually through there between 6:15 and 6:30 PM. Good to know I might experience something different if I am late. Sometimes, I take 114. Other times, I go up to LBJ. Just depends on how congested it is going further north. If it's backed up, I jsut do 114 east down to BeltLine and then cutover to LBJ there.

Of course, when I fly out of DFW on Monday, I have a 6:30 AM flight and have been messed up by the closures during the very early AM hours.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Avis etoll update.

We got our etoll receipt from Avis. We went through one toll which was 23c, but Avis then charged us an etoll convenience fee of $2.95 per day for the entire rental, not just $2.95 for the day we incurred the toll.

It states on the receipt

$2.95 per rental day, max $14.75 per rental month

An expensive 23c toll!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
That is not good. With all of the toll road lanes going in around here in the next few years the rental car companies are going to have to find a better way to handle this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.