Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

IAH Layover - what to do, where to go, how much time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

IAH / Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport Layover
What to do, where to go, how much time? (Consolidated) (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

IAH Layover - what to do, where to go, how much time?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: Choice Privlidges Elite Diamond- 120+ Choice Privileges nights/year, Delta, UA
7 hour overnight layover at IAH

The 1 and 2 hr time frames were because I didn't realize there was a hotel connected to the airport. In my experience getting the hotel shuttle to pick you up and take you to a close off airport hotel is a drawn-out pain. Same thing on the way back. I was also looking to use points for a free night at one of the Choice hotels nearby. I can tell both of you lean towards getting the hotel room regardless.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Add one more for. I have done this many times. A shower and 3 or 4 hours in bed is worth the hundred bucks +/- or so an airport hotel would cost.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Add one more for. I have done this many times. A shower and 3 or 4 hours in bed is worth the hundred bucks +/- or so an airport hotel would cost.
Absolutely! Another vote for the airport hotel.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
One more vote for the hotel - it is not worth spending a night on an airport - especially considering that pretty much everything will be closed at that point.

A shower and a few hours sleep/rest beats sitting in gate areas...
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:45 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Texas Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: Choice Privlidges Elite Diamond- 120+ Choice Privileges nights/year, Delta, UA
7 hour overnight layover at IAH

Thanks for all the suggestions. A hotel it is. Even a few hours of sleep and a shower will make a difference.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: ::US,UA,CO+ currently non-rev Plat
Originally Posted by nsc168
A follow-up to my question: would it be considered unacceptable if I brought along a sleeping bag for my overnight in IAH?

(I am guessing setting up an air mattress would be considered 'too much,' even though I will have one with me).
Neither option would be "too much" nor unacceptable. The cleaning staff doesn't care. As long as you aren't in the middle of the floor where people might trip or have to walk over you. Airport staff in my experience tend to mind their own business.

Just bring ear plugs and an eye mask.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:41 pm

Another layover question.

I have an overnight layover in IAH. I get in around 7:30 pm Sunday and depart the following morning around 10 a.m. I did this last year and stayed at the Marriott. This year, the Marriott is $300 and I just don't think that particular hotel is worth $300.

Is there any other hotel convenient to IAH that you would recommend? It has to have some kind of restaurant so I can get something to eat that evening and close enough that I don't have to get up at 5 am. I have looked at all the sites. It appears the Sheraton is $229(!), a Ramada which gets pretty bad reviews, the Doubletree is $189.

Any ideas? I could use Hotwire but there is only 1 4* hotel available and it might be the Sheraton from my research.

I have no status.

Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jennj99738
It appears the Sheraton is $229(!), a Ramada which gets pretty bad reviews, the Doubletree is $189.
Haven't stayed there, but IIRC had a meeting, if lobby and surrounding areas are any indication, it's pretty nice. IIRC there's a shuttle, and pretty sure there are some restaurants there, as there are several hotels on JFK Blvd.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Haven't stayed there, but IIRC had a meeting, if lobby and surrounding areas are any indication, it's pretty nice. IIRC there's a shuttle, and pretty sure there are some restaurants there, as there are several hotels on JFK Blvd.
Thanks for the info. Which hotel are you talking about?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:59 pm

Thanks for the info. Which hotel are you talking about?
a Ramada which gets pretty bad reviews, the Doubletree is $189.
Well, since I included only Ramada with poor reviews and Doubletree, it's the latter
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We have a 7+ hour layover at IAH in March (weekday, arriving 14:00, departing 21:30). Rather than just getting bored at the United Club, are there any other decent options? Anything interesting near the airport? Anywhere within a good range for dinner?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:39 am

Sad to say, there's not much there there north of Houston.

Back when I used to drive to IAH I would eat at either Vietnamese or Mexican restaurant in I-45, I'm guessing about couple of miles east of the airport. Nothing fancy, but good food.

Sadly, there is no easy way to get there.

South of airport are a bunch of hotels where you could take a shuttle, believe they have restaurants.

Cat Cora at airport looks decent, IIRC someone recommended it in another thread.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:26 pm

IAH 1 Hour Layover

I am looking at booking a flight in late June to Vegas from Pittsburgh through IAH, (other option is Chicago, and I hate that airport)t. The United flights that fit my needs for departure/arrival times only have a one hour layover.

Will that be enough time if I arrive in one terminal and depart in another. I know that is a big airport, just not sure if it will be enough time to make the flight out of IAH to Vegas.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:11 pm

IAH 1 Hour Layover

That is usually plenty of time but if you are delayed getting to your gate you may have to dash to the next one.

This goes especially if you are going from any B gates to any C/D/E gates since you must take the skytrain between the terminals.

C/D/E are all interconnected but from one end to the other can be a hike as well.

Just keep you eyes on arrival and departure times and gates. Gates tend to change often there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.