Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

IAH Layover - what to do, where to go, how much time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

IAH / Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport Layover
What to do, where to go, how much time? (Consolidated) (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

IAH Layover - what to do, where to go, how much time?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Rent a car and head to the Museum District. The Museum of Fine Arts is a good way to kill a few hours and admission is pretty cheap. Take a stroll around Hermann Park (right next to MFAH).

Pick a restaurant from this list and have a terrific meal. The list is a little out of date but it's still a solid collection. For instance, Downhouse is now open till 2am, not just 3pm. I'd also add Underbelly and Hay Merchant to it.

Just make sure to leave enough time to get back up to IAH, especially since it sounds like you'll be heading up during rush hour.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Overnight Layover in Houston (IAH) - Hotel and Food Options

I'm meeting two people in Houston (IAH) the night before we all leave for Asia. We arrive at 745p, 945p, and 1030p, respectively and have a 10:50a flight the next morning.

If we rented a car, is there good BBQ or other food anywhere near the airport and open late? Anywhere worth going for a unique breakfast?

For three people, the Hyatt Place seems like a logical choice as their couch looks good. Does anyone have experience there? They appear to not have 24/7 shuttle service - what is the frequency of the shuttle when it is operating and what would a cab from IAH to the hotel run when the hotel shuttle is not running?

Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:58 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by efjmiller
I'm meeting two people in Houston (IAH) the night before we all leave for Asia. We arrive at 745p, 945p, and 1030p, respectively and have a 10:50a flight the next morning.

If we rented a car, is there good BBQ or other food anywhere near the airport and open late? Anywhere worth going for a unique breakfast?

For three people, the Hyatt Place seems like a logical choice as their couch looks good. Does anyone have experience there? They appear to not have 24/7 shuttle service - what is the frequency of the shuttle when it is operating and what would a cab from IAH to the hotel run when the hotel shuttle is not running?

Thanks.
Pappa's is close, never been there, but the others places in the Pappa's chain are good. There is also Rudy's on 45, but not sure about how late they are open. Plus do you want to eat BBQ at that hour of the night?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
I have a 4-hour layover in IAH between 5am and 9am soon. I do have United Club access. But, their breakfast selection is just not that inspiring. So, I am trying to get some advice on where is a fun place to have some breakfast in IAH. Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by UALboy
So, I am trying to get some advice on where is a fun place to have some breakfast in IAH. Thanks!
Fun

Term E has Starbucks and a few other places for b-fast.

EmailKid
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:35 pm

Spending the night in Houston now thanks to a United problem. Where to stay tonight? What's a good seafood or sushi place?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 3:30 pm

5.5 Hours at IAH - Tips to Get Out and Explore?

I have 5.5 hours between flights, so that likely means I have about 4 hours to work with, more or less. (Flying YVR-IAH-PBC (Puebla)).

I've previously had an 11-hour layover at IAH, and took a cab to a shopping mall, which worked out fine, but I want to do something different this time.

I am thinking that maybe I'll go hang around an airport hotel and take a walk, particularly a hotel that has nice grounds. Is there such a place near IAH?

Any other ideas for doing something other than wandering the airport? I don't want to rent a car.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel
I am thinking that maybe I'll go hang around an airport hotel and take a walk, particularly a hotel that has nice grounds. Is there such a place near IAH?

Any other ideas for doing something other than wandering the airport? I don't want to rent a car.
No, the only hotel at the airport is not so great, and no place to walk really (I am a walker).

When I want to walk, I try to (and usually do) find a cart, put my carryon on it, and just wonder the halls of the terminals. Term D is particularly deserted and suitable for walking before the afternoon flights by foreign carriers.

As *A I normally connect at IAH (opposed to when I used to fly out of there) in int'l itins, so spend good two hours at President's Club, always Term E. Short of going to the mall, there really isn't much to do close to the airport itself.

EmailKid
Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:50 pm

How about catching a shuttle to the Doubletree and walking around there?
I will keep Terminal D in mind, though, particularly for shorter layovers.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:10 pm

How about catching a shuttle to the Doubletree and walking around there?
OK, you could do that, but short of walking down sidewalks don't recall anywhere else to walk. Now that it's cooler that would be OK, in summer it's pretty toasty for walking

It's all flat, but IIRC plenty of pine trees around so it's not all bad.

EmailKid
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:14 pm

Oh yeah, my plans re walking would be slightly different in August .

I'll give this a try, I think.

I note that the Marriott is accessible by tram from within the airport. Are there any grounds around the Marriott?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 6:01 pm

I note that the Marriott is accessible by tram from within the airport. Are there any grounds around the Marriott?
As I alluded to in my previous post, not really.

In this case, Bing.com/maps is your friend in Bird's Eye View. This gives you about 45 degree view, much better than Google maps which is pretty much straight down.

EmailKid
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:08 pm

Great tip about Bing! Thanks.

I looked on TripAdvisor and saw this in a Doubletree review, so I think that hotel will be the "winner" for my walkabout.

the hotel is large, nice and has a great pool/open green area within the building grounds.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold
If you're killing time at IAH and can leave and re-clear security, you really should venture to see the tram. It's quite an experience.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: TK Gold, LH Silver, RAM Blue, KL/AF Blue
IAH long daytime layover / any day rooms?

Hi,

This summer, I will travel through IAH on the way from Rio de Janeiro to Amsterdam.

As cannot sleep on planes and have a long layover at IAH from 6 am to 5 pm, I would like to book a dayroom or hotel room at or near the airport. I tried different chains that have hotels near the airport, but cannot find any dayroom offer which does not involve booking for two nights, when all I want to do is stay at the hotel during the day.

Any ideas would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks so much,

F Ganbich
Luxemburg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.