Things to do and see in Austin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:25 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dano18
here's a good link http://www.austinmetro.com/
detailed link^ thanks.
Triple Crown must be a large place as they have 3 acts scheduled for the same time/same night.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
open question to this thread, is there a better website to search local music....

1) what are the good music venues in town? (I realize good music can happen anywhere but some venues are known for producing more of it than others)
See if these two get you better results:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/
http://www.austintexas.org/musicians/

The music scenes in Austin are so vibrant. Country, indie, Blues.. you name it. Not to skip Antone's if you are into Blues. Live concerts at Hill's Cafe on South Congress Ave gets syndicated over the radio all the time.

I would have recommended you the 19-year-old local radio station, KGSR, to sample some local tunes. But it appears KGSR has changed since 11/20/09 and everyone misses the old KGSR. The changes escaped me since I'd checked out from Austin months ago.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:54 pm

KGSR is still around and still plays some local music.
Another good station is KUT 90.5
Old Mar 6, 2010, 7:44 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
365 things to do in Austin

http://localism.com/blog/tx/austin/p...5-Things-To-Do

There's a facebook page with similar activities.

Some other things:
View from Mt. Bonnell
View from 360 Bridge
Austin Restaurant Week (on this coming week)
Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:42 pm

here's our Austin mini-trip report (went in early March 2010)

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Some other things:
View from Mt. Bonnell
this was fantastic, we really enjoyed this:-:^:-:
as easy walk up from the parking area and the views are wonderful (don't just stay at the first viewpoint area, walk to both the left (for a view of the downtown) & the right for a view up the Colorado river (this was my favorite).

We also:

Went to Juan in a Million for breakfast, my migas were terrific, everyone else loved their breakfast as well. www.juaninamillion.com
We were very lucky, as we went for breakfast on a Sunday and arrived just after 10am, there was parking right on the street, just to side of the restaurant and a table was ready w/in a minute. Shortly after there must have been 30 people outside waiting for a table, sure got lucky with the timing here.

In the afternoon, we walked around the SoCo (south Congress) area. One of my nephews got some great shirts from Allens Boots www.allensboots.com We also spent a bit of time at the Continental Club, what a great vibe and it was fun to see all the couples of all ages dancing two-step (I think) to the live music, this was soo much fun !!! www.continentalclub.com

Ended up dining at Magnolia Cafe, food was good but I think this would be a better breakfast place than lunch/dinner spot, especially seeing as it is a 24 hour place, but our dinner was good enough. http://themagnoliacafe.com

Unfortunately we only had one day in Austin and late that evening after getting back to the hotel from the SoCo area, one of our family had a medical issue that kept us at the hotel, so we never did go out and party on 4th or 6th. (but after our fun filled day, we will for sure make it back to Austin)

I've asked my nephew who now resides in Austin to look into boat rentals for this summer, it would be a hoot to be down on a weekday (when the river is not busy like I can only imagine the weekends are) and ski/party/cruise the various 'Lakes" that make up the river. BTW when we were on Mt Bonnel, looking down on the river, we saw some guy riding one of these http://www.airchair.com/ wow did it look fun !!

On a side note, Austin is not far from Lockhart where we ate at Smitty's Market BBQ http://www.smittysmarket.com
The atmosphere of Smitty's is a carnivore's dream, large smoke pits filled with all different cuts of meat, with open fires just outside the pits, smoked being sucked into the pit. Awesome^^
The BBQ was hit n miss with our group, the brisket was some of the driest we've ever had (such a bummer), the pork ribs were much better than they usually are in Texas, the links we thought were killer, the prime rib was great (can prime rib really ever be bad????)

Thanks to all the suggestions in this thread, please keep them coming as we'll be back.

--

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Mar 8, 2010 at 4:50 pm
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Go to Perlas in Soco next time you are there. have dessert. You will thank me.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by gungadin
Go to Perlas in Soco next time you are there. have dessert. You will thank me.
Perla's website: www.perlasaustin.com

Looked at the dessert menu online, the fried apple pies with sharp cheddar and caramel ice cream made me drool

Expensive raw bar at least compared to what we paid for a 1/2 dozen oysters in Houston.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:22 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
NYTimes: Tacos in the Morning? That’s the Routine in Austin
AUSTIN can’t claim taco primacy. That category is too broad, encompassing too many variations in style.

When it comes to breakfast tacos, however, Austin trumps all other American cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.