Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search update

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2009, 4:37 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Ah, bounded Boolean logic... those were the days.

If they could programme in inference without implicature, we'd have one hell of a search engine on our hands
Old Mar 5, 2009, 5:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by goldcircle
ah, bounded boolean logic... Those were the days

Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
So, is anyone working on "Search" or is it just completely worthless now? No matter what words or phrases, I use, I get back a list of threads that has nothing to do with anything.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
So, is anyone working on "Search" or is it just completely worthless now? No matter what words or phrases, I use, I get back a list of threads that has nothing to do with anything.
hmmmm-about 10 minutes ago, i did a bunch of searches using words i knew were in posts i had made and i got correct hits on all of them.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
hmmmm-about 10 minutes ago, i did a bunch of searches using words i knew were in posts i had made and i got correct hits on all of them.
Really? Is that in a particlar forum? This morning I was trying in particular forums and would get pages and pages of supposed hits, but those phrases never appeared in the threads. I specifically chose to look on threads with only a few responses to make sure.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Really? Is that in a particlar forum? This morning I was trying in particular forums and would get pages and pages of supposed hits, but those phrases never appeared in the threads. I specifically chose to look on threads with only a few responses to make sure.
yes-it was in the ua forum as there were a few specific posts of mine i needed to call up. now, i don't know if this was the reason i was successful but i was searching by poster (me) and a single key word which i thought would be in the post i was looking for.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:07 pm

yes-it was in the ua forum as there were a few specific posts of mine i needed to call up. now, i don't know if this was the reason i was successful but i was searching by poster (me) and a single key word which i thought would be in the post i was looking for.
Example. In OMNI, I do a search for "Mother's Cookies".

Among many other threads, I get:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni/...ah-moment.html

Neither "Mother's" nor "Cookies" nor "Mother's Cookies" appear in this or, probably, any of the other threads.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:13 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neither "Mother's" nor "Cookies" nor "Mother's Cookies" appear in this or, probably, any of the other threads.
"Mother" appears in one of the link URLs, contained in that thread:
http:// news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Rare-Ginger-Monkey-Elka-Born-At-Taronga-Zoo-In-Sydney-Is-Rejected-By-Mother/Article/200903415247859?lpos=World_News_Third_World_News_F eature_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15247859_Rare_G inger_Monkey_Elka%2C_Born_At_Taronga_Zoo%2C_In_Syd ney_Is_Rejected_By_Mother
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:47 pm

hmmmm, i just did a "short search" using just the "search this forum box" just in omni uisng a copy and paste of Mother's Cookies and this thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni/...s-cookies.html) was on top of the list.

i also did the same in the aa forum using my handle as the search term and the thread i wanted was the first one listed

but...when i search from the main flyertalk forums page, using Mother's Cookies, the results are phuglied and all over the place with your "mother's cookies thread listed third.

now i'm confused....is search only fixed by forum as that's what it looks like....
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:15 pm

hmmmm, i just did a "short search" using just the "search this forum box" just in omni uisng a copy and paste of Mother's Cookies and this thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni/...s-cookies.html) was on top of the list.

i also did the same in the aa forum using my handle as the search term and the thread i wanted was the first one listed

but...when i search from the main flyertalk forums page, using Mother's Cookies, the results are phuglied and all over the place with your "mother's cookies thread listed third.

now i'm confused....is search only fixed by forum as that's what it looks like....
For what it's worth, my "Mother's cookies" thread was created after I did the search and posted here. I knew I had posted something in the past. I was searching for that thread. When I couldn't find it, I created a new one. Further, my search was within the forum only.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:57 am

For what it's worth, my "Mother's cookies" thread was created after I did the search and posted here. I knew I had posted something in the past. I was searching for that thread. When I couldn't find it, I created a new one. Further, my search was within the forum only.
now i'm puzzled......
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:40 am

As KVS noted above, if a search term appears in a link, even if the link isn't displayed, the post/thread will be captured by the search.

Be aware as well that the search will essentially ignore the apostrophe in Mother's, unless you place quotation marks around the word.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
As KVS noted above, if a search term appears in a link, even if the link isn't displayed, the post/thread will be captured by the search.

Be aware as well that the search will essentially ignore the apostrophe in Mother's, unless you place quotation marks around the word.
Thanks. The apostrophe is the least of the issues. Maybe it's just me, but I no longer find the function useful. To get page after page of useless threads in a search is a waste and very frustrating.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 6:32 am

Thanks. The apostrophe is the least of the issues. Maybe it's just me, but I no longer find the function useful. To get page after page of useless threads in a search is a waste and very frustrating.
Annoying. Very annoying!
Old Mar 28, 2009, 8:10 pm

I now use Google to search FT.

The search function on this site has gone from being useless to totally useless.....a joke in fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.