Wiki Posts
Search

Fryertalk?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AGR WOH
Fryertalk? -- FT mirrors on web

Somehow, and I'm not quite sure how, I was reading a Flyertalk thread that actually resided at fryertalk.com. I attempted to reply, but got stuck in a "not logged in" loop -- kind of obvious, since I'm not registered at fryertalk and was entering my flyertalk username. Turns out that fryertalk is a mirror of flyertalk.

However, this struck me as a little bit like a phishing scheme -- I did enter my username & pass a few times before noticing -- so I changed my password here and did a whois lookup on fryertalk. Nope, not registered by Internet Brands or at NetSol, but rather by a programmer in Atlanta named Jim Popovitch.

What gives?

Edit: noticed that I chanced across it by clicking a Google search result that appeared to go to FT. There's another "mirror," at fliertalk.com. This could be the same kind of mirroring-for-ads that Wikipedia fell victim to earlier, before Google changed its algorithm to push commercial Wikipedia "mirrors" down the list. However, unlike Wikipedia, Flyertalk content isn't published under FDL, CC, etc.; indeed, such mirroring without consent appears to violate this guideline: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q73

Last edited by paytonc; Oct 16, 2007 at 10:57 pm Reason: adding
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Wow I posted about Fryertalk as a gag on Omni in 2003...

link to thread

Perhaps someone picked up on my gag and registered it for real!

Also see: http://www.aboutus.org/InsideFlyer.com
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'd seen fliertalk.com before. It's registered to the same Jim Popovitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.