Wiki Posts
Search

www.fliertalk ???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2006, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
I am just confirming that I did, indeed, make the above post and it was not someone trying to impersonate me.
You would be tough to impersonate...If anyone wanted to in the first place
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Got a question,
If in fact this other site did get my flyertalk password ( no I didnt login there)
What does he have? besides the ability to post as tonerman?
Anything else I should be concerned about?

Dan
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonerman
Got a question,
If in fact this other site did get my flyertalk password ( no I didnt login there)
Hypothetically, if you used your FT password on any other sites they could be compromised as well. Independent of your FT password, if your security patches and virus scanners are not up-to-date your personal computer could be compromised and anything on it made available to a 3rd party. Not to mention it could be turned into a zombie machine and used to send spam or attack another system at the command of another.

Unlikely, to be sure, but possible.

You are current with Windows updates? Assuming you are running Windows, but all OSs have the problem to some degree.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
Originally Posted by tonerman
Got a question,

Dan
I suppose a lot of people use a specific username/password combination on a lot of different websites, since it is fairly hard to remember 20+ different of those. And thus it could be used to log in to eBay or continental.com or something like this where sensitive information is located.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 1:30 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Exclamation

www.fliertalk.com is still active, looking exactly like www.flyertalk.com, but not recognizing my username or password. I got there by doing a google search "miletracker flyertalk".

Why is this site still being allowed to copy FlyerTalk over a year after this thread was started?

Who are they? What are they up to?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
It isn't viewable anymore. Unfortunate since the Flyertalk forums are blocked at my offices but by going to fliertalk.com I was able to get round it!
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:30 am

it begins with the flyertalk front page
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I did a Google search today on a FF-related topic, and there were 2 references in the first page of results from fliertalk.com. This means that IB does have a serious problem.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Perhaps this is amusing, or perhaps this is another theft of FlyerTalkers' and/or IB's intellectual property, but I discovered this via a Google search:

http://tripfly.org/discussion/21325/...ntina-flights/

It seemed strangely familiar, emphasis on "strange," since it appears to be a "Babelfenglish" version of this FT thread (i.e., run through a translator twice):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683978

Compare what iahphx wrote:

"As I mentioned before, on several ocassions, I've tried to book fares that are shown to be available on certain flights. Most of the time, as I'm completing my reservation, I get an error message, and the seats mysteriously disappear from inventory if I run the search again!"

to what "doemioes," her/his alternate-universe doppelganger, wrote:

"As I mentioned before, on several ocassions, I've constant to paperback fares that are shown to be season on assured flights. Most of the chance, as I'm completing my quake, I get an blunder dedication, and the seats secretive Poetic evanish from stock if I run the quest again!"
Old Dec 23, 2008, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Through a Google search, I've just landed on a www.tripfly.org page as well. While the content is clearly taken from flyertalk.com , it is so strangely garbled that it really makes no sense any longer.

Does anybody have a clue what that site is all about? All I could think of was the "parallel universe" from Star Trek...
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by airoli
Through a Google search, I've just landed on a www.tripfly.org page as well. While the content is clearly taken from flyertalk.com , it is so strangely garbled that it really makes no sense any longer.

Does anybody have a clue what that site is all about? All I could think of was the "parallel universe" from Star Trek...
Screen scrapers at work.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 3:16 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Yes but what's the point? I don't even see an attempt at some sort of scam...
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by airoli
Yes but what's the point? I don't even see an attempt at some sort of scam...
Look at all those ads. that's the point. All it takes is the effort to set up the mirror site and sell the ad space. Minimal effort for the revenue.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Has Flyertalk used the ICANN procedure to attempt in an attempt to wrestle these domains away from the squatters? Thousands of dollars worth of type-in traffic being thrown away annually - well worth the effort.

http://www.icann.org/en/dndr/udrp/policy.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.