Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Online???

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2005, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Question Who's Online???

Used to be, before Search was disabled, that while I was reading FT (usually late night or early A.M.), I'd go to Who's Online to see who's here that I know, and possibly send them a quick PM to say hi, knowing that I'd usually get a fast response as they were online at the same time as me. Now that Search is back up, I noticed that the dropdown box at the bottom of each thread now includes the Who's Online choice also, yet when I select it, I get the following response:

blackjack-21, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. This forum may require additional account pre-requisites that you don't current have. Check the Announcements for this forum to see if you're required to have a minimum number of posts already, etc.
3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Is access to the Who's Online section now only limited to mods, techs, and TB members? If so, what's the reason for the changes?

Thanks,

bj-21.
Old May 23, 2005, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429855
Old May 24, 2005, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Question

Thanks, tcook,

The thread you pointed out showed that I'm not alone with my question. But since I'm not looking for a moderator (although, maybe a moderator can answer the question), just wanting to see if anyone I know is online at the same time as me, it still doesn't answer why the Who's Online is no longer available to us mere mortals. As SkiAdcock said, how many posts does it now take to be able to view Who's Online, or is it now offlimits to the majority of FT'ers.

Thanks,

bj-21.
Old May 24, 2005, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
It had something to do with speeding up Flyertalk. There was a long period of time when FT had some problems with speed (this weekend excluded). It was a bug in the vBulletin software's search feature (which includes the Who's Online feature) and thus was disabled. Don't know if the folks up at the HOM haven't flipped the switch on because they've forgot, or because it still poses a speed issue...
Old May 24, 2005, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks, slippahs,

Just was wondering why I had gotten the denied access message shown in my OP, the same as Sharon had received in hers. Didn't know that I had done anything to not let me use the Who's Online, and the response kind of surprised me, as Who's Online now shows in the drop down box you get when look for forums. May be a standard response now, but I'd like to have it clarified if possible, if it's now not available to regular FT members.

bj-21.
Old May 24, 2005, 8:43 am

Who's online is not available in the interest of improved board performance.
Old May 24, 2005, 7:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by John at Webflyer
Who's online is not available in the interest of improved board performance.
Normally do not do this, IMHO, bump-worthy.
Old May 29, 2005, 7:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Question

Hello.
Just discovered for myself that this feature has been deleted.
My question is how much did this function hinder the operation of FT when it was available?
I remember using it in the past and I don't think FT is any faster now that it was then. Now I'm no expert let me be clear about that , however, I'd like to know,would it be a noticable difference to the average user (ie. me!) if it were reinstated?

Thanks for your time, sincerely,Tattikat2
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:04 am

Who's online makes calls to the database, and those calls compete with database calls to display threads, and add posts.

Would it make a noticeable difference now with the improvements we have made to the system since the time we shut it off? I don't know.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by John at Webflyer
Would it make a noticeable difference now with the improvements we have made to the system since the time we shut it off? I don't know.
Well then, is there any reason why we don't turn the feature back on and see?
If it all goes well, leave it on. If not, disable it again. Can't hurt to try wouldn't you think? (knowing my luck, it's already been turned back on which means I look like an idiot!)
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
count me as someone who likes it turned off

I'd just as soon not have others know I am online
Old Jun 3, 2005, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It's easy enough to put yourself in invisible mode. You won't show up on the who's online list nor will your little round green ball show in the forums (it will be grey/black).
Old Jun 4, 2005, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr
I'd just as soon not have others know I am online
Why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.