Wiki Posts
Search

I'm a member but did not receive US Air alert

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

I'm a member but did not receive US Air alert

Hello:

Just curious as to why I did not receive the alert about the US Air cheap tickets. Did I not register properly? Did I do something wrong here? Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
What alert are you referring to? If you look at the mileage run forum, there is a sticky at the top of the forum, about a mailing list that is getting started again for email alerts for good deals. That is separate from FT. I think that is what you want to sign up for.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Flyertalk does not provide a service like this.

There is a 'sticky' up on top in the Mileage Run forum that gives details about fare alerts. This has been set up by a Flyertalk (to whom many of us are greatful). If you sign up for 'The list', you may receive an e mail alert. That's assuming the webmaster has been made aware of said mistake.

Now if you find something good , please e mail the webmaster so that he can send it out.

Welcome to Flyertalk.

Looks like GA beat me to it. Great minds.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you nice folks for answering my post. I was referring to an article on the CNN/Money webpage which reported the US Air fare mishap. The article stated, in part:

"NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - US Airways mistakenly sold round-trip flights for $1.86 to more than 1,000 customers over the weekend. The newspaper reported that the Web site flyertalk.com alerted many of the ticket buyers to the availability of the cheap seats, POSTING AN ALERT TO ITS MEMBERS."

My capitalization just for emphasis. I got the impression a formal alert was sent to FlyerTalk members which I did not receive. I guess they meant that FlyerTalk members posted information about this for the benefits of other members? This is the second time I read an article about an airfare error and that FlyerTalk "sent an alert to their members". The other article was published last year.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Another article: Charlotte Observer, Distributed by the Associated Press stated, in part:

"For a few hours this weekend, US Airways was selling tickets to a handful of smaller cities for $1.86 round-trip plus fees -- a tremendous deal that QUICKLY FILLED INTERNET BOARDS WITH CHATTER.

AVID FARE-WATCHERS say errors in ticket prices occur several times a year. With fares widely available on the Internet, people who spot great deals spread the word quickly, and customers often buy tickets before airlines can fix the problem."

Again, my capitalization just for emphasis. Do you know what Internet boards the article is referring to? Also, does anyone know what the "avid fare watchers" are watching that enables them to find these low airfares? Thanks for all your assistance.

Last edited by ThePrivateOne; Apr 23, 2005 at 1:27 pm
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just another example of sloppy journalism. To find out about airfare errors, you really have to monitor FT as well as various other sources.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA

Just another example of sloppy journalism. To find out about airfare errors, you really have to monitor FT as well as various other sources.
Agree. just a badly worded article.

Glen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.