Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New restrictions on searching FlyerTalk

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:01 am
Original Poster

New restrictions on searching FlyerTalk

Starting today I am restricting searches to logged in members only.

So if you try to search and get a permission denied page log in!

Thanks,
John
Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:31 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
John,

Working on Saturday? BAD BOI!!!!

Might I suggest this be an announcement sticky? Not sure many people visit this forum.

Thanks

William
Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:59 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I think this is a good idea. Another message board with similar traffic which I visit (same software, same version, I believe) has search turned off completely, even for "contributing" (= paying) members. Since they did that, speed improved considerably. It appears that search really puts a heavy load on the servers, I guess?
Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by attorney28
I think this is a good idea. Another message board with similar traffic which I visit (same software, same version, I believe) has search turned off completely, even for "contributing" (= paying) members. Since they did that, speed improved considerably. It appears that search really puts a heavy load on the servers, I guess?
No, don't turn off Search completely!!!

It's a very, very, very valuable tool. Makes it much easier to find threads on a specific topic rather than constantly starting new threads on it. Of course, some people do that anyway, but if there were no Search, the repetition would grow worse and the access to great info would be seriously curtailed.

But I do understand that putting some limitations on Search can help performance, and applaud John's efforts in this area. ^
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:13 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I did not mean to suggest that at all. I was just trying to illustrate that search can apparently put a very high load on the servers.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf

It's a very, very, very valuable tool. Makes it much easier to find threads on a specific topic rather than constantly starting new threads on it. Of course, some people do that anyway, but if there were no Search, the repetition would grow worse and the access to great info would be seriously curtailed.

But I do understand that putting some limitations on Search can help performance, and applaud John's efforts in this area. ^
Second that motion.

FWIW - as I often search at sat 4am mountain time, when only a small handful of others are active on FT, and I must say there is never any perceptible difference. Likewise speed of FT for me varies little whether daytime USA or 3 or 4am.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Of course, for those missing out on the searches without logging in, Google does a reasonable job in finding pages on Flyertalk (though not as good as the Flyertalk search engine!).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...7&page=1&pp=15
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by John at Webflyer
Starting today I am restricting searches to logged in members only.

So if you try to search and get a permission denied page log in!

Thanks,
John
Something is wrong with this. I did a search, got about 7 pages of results, clicked on 3 of the pages with no problems, and when I tried to look at the fourth page was denied access.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
search is definately not working

Originally Posted by outtolunch
Something is wrong with this. I did a search, got about 7 pages of results, clicked on 3 of the pages with no problems, and when I tried to look at the fourth page was denied access.
It's worse than than. I just did a search on the word "Do" followed by a search on the word "origin". My intention was to post my results to a thread where a newbie posted (yet again) the query about the origin of the word Do in regards to get-togethers.
Imagine my chagrin when my searches came up with nothing!
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by SeeYa
It's worse than than. I just did a search on the word "Do" followed by a search on the word "origin". My intention was to post my results to a thread where a newbie posted (yet again) the query about the origin of the word Do in regards to get-togethers.
Imagine my chagrin when my searches came up with nothing!
You can't make two letter searches... that's been a rule from when Flyertalk switched over to the vBulletin software...

aloha

Last edited by slippahs; Jan 18, 2005 at 11:43 am
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:54 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by outtolunch
This happens on vBulletin boards a lot. The search is typically associated with an ID - after some set duration (15-20 minutes), the ID expires, and you won't be able to access subsequent pages of results.

Hopefully it's a tweakable function.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
Originally Posted by slippahs
You can't make two letter searches... that's been a rule from when Flyertalk switched over to the vBulletin software...

aloha
that is well and good (well, maybe not ), but that does not explain why the word "origin" also came up with nothing. Especially since I had just read a new thread with that word in the title.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:11 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Let me explain:
We switched the board over to allow searches only to those members registered on FlyerTalk. We hope it to be a temporary solution to determining the slowness of FlyerTalk in the last few weeks. Search as you might guess is a real bandwidth hog and with 1-2,000 people on FT at all times, there has been a lot of searching going on. As well, we have not completed to entire indexing of FlyerTalk for searches and that is why some of the terms you might search for are not coming up. We as well, are two small upgrades behind in the software as we hate to take the board down to accomplish this - there just does not seem to be any slow periods any more.

So, in a nutshell, we're likely to soon shut FT down for a few hours or a day so we can 1) add on the three servers currently now powering FT, 2) reindex the complete Web site; and 3) upgade the software because one of the upgrades has a better search index tool.

Very much sorry for the inconvenience but we try and balance this against the complaints we'd get when we do actually have to shut down for maintenance. Going to try and do this all at once.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sounds good. Small pain (loss of FT for a day) for longtime gain ^
Old Jan 18, 2005, 8:02 pm
Original Member

Inconvenience? Randy, you have got to be either kidding or the nicest guy there is.

The search function on the old software was so slow it was painful. The slowest search I've ever done on the new BB is blindingly fast by comparison.

No complaints here; search works great for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.