Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

In which forum could I ask for a clarification of a FlyerTalk posting rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2004, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card

In which forum could I properly ask for a clarification of a FlyerTalk posting rule?
Old Apr 28, 2004, 9:50 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
It might be helpful to know what rule you are asking for clarification on.

Many times the forum moderator can answer the question... other times, an FT technical person can help... other times, any of us can help (or not!).

WIlliam
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
I would like to ask a specific question about the rule relating to posting of "private emails".
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:12 pm

Still being evasive huh?

Since it is an email question, why not just ask it here? If it is in the wrong place, it will get moved appropriately.

William
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, after just reading the FlyerTalk rules (something I've never really done before, which is long overdue for me to do admittedly) I have a question.

It says "personal" emails can't be posted on FT "without the permission of all parties".

I sort of assume this does not apply to "commercial" emails which I would suppose are carved-out of the definition of something personal. I say this because, very frequently, you will see emails or other correspondence from an entity (an airline or hotel) or from a representative of such an entity (executives of airlines, customer service managers, etc.). Unless quite a few FT'ers are violating the rules on a regular basis, many of these people quite "esteemed" around here, I would guess that there is a carve-out for commercial speech contained in an email.

That would seem to make some sense: we do treat commercial speech much differently and afford it much less protection in our society, and we do treat people "in the spotlight" like executives and heads of businesses differently in terms of what constitutes invasion of their privacy. I am sort of thinking the FlyerTalk rule would track that, slightly at least.

My specific question is then, there is a head of a travel company who also happens to have a FT handle - the head of the business called "Bidding for Travel". There has been some discussion in the "Travel Bidding" forum over whether emails from the head of this entity may rightfully be posted.

I want to know. My belief is that posting a commercial email relating to the business from this person, when she writes in her role as a representative of the business, is "commercial" speech and, just like an email from say Gordon Bethune, head of Continental, it may rightfully be posted here on FlterTalk without violating the rules.

I am trying to get a clarification of whether the understanding of the FT rules I set forth above is correct.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Someone recently wrote on Flyertalk that if Gordon Bethune were to register here, he'd be afforded some additional protections (and it wouldn't be 'alright' with the TOS to call him some of the names he's often called in the CO forum).

I think that's right. If someone becomes a part of this community, then I do think we owe them an enhanced level of civility and respect, at least as a starting presumption.

If United sends me an email marketing a new promo, I'm on pretty solid ground posting the contents of that email.

When the marketing manager of the Four Points Norwood sent me a rather bizarre nasty email, and I quoted from it publicly here, I think I was on solid ground as well. (He was gratuitously piling on after explaining the property wouldn't be honoring a promotion from their website.)

I think the situation here is different. Certainly Sheryl (and that's clearly who the original poster is speaking of here) may profit from her bulletin board (through ads and referrals to Priceline). But the fact that she may profit from her involvement in travel doesn't disqualify her as a member of the community.

I suppose that emails from Biddingfortravel.com (I think there used to be a monthly newsletter) would be perfectly fair game. And any kind of commercial solicitation sent by Sheryl, especially one sent broadly, could be posted here.

But the mere fact that she profits from her involvement in travel on another website doesn't change anything about personal correspondence that she may have with an individual member here.

At least that's my first gut reaction to the question. I haven't had any personal dealings with her. I don't know here. And I don't know the contents of the email, either.

And I'm speaking only as a community member, and not in any official capacity here.

Just some thoughts.

Best,
Gary
Old Apr 28, 2004, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
But to the general question of 'where to seek clarification of a posting rule' you might try PMing the moderator of the forum you want to post in.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Arrow

Originally Posted by gleff
But to the general question of 'where to seek clarification of a posting rule' you might try PMing the moderator of the forum you want to post in.
Always a sensible suggestion ^

FewMiles..
Old Apr 29, 2004, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks gleff, FewMiles...good suggestion. Appreciated.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
Someone recently wrote on Flyertalk that if Gordon Bethune were to register here, he'd be afforded some additional protections (and it wouldn't be 'alright' with the TOS to call him some of the names he's often called in the CO forum).

I think that's right. If someone becomes a part of this community, then I do think we owe them an enhanced level of civility and respect, at least as a starting presumption.

If United sends me an email marketing a new promo, I'm on pretty solid ground posting the contents of that email.

When the marketing manager of the Four Points Norwood sent me a rather bizarre nasty email, and I quoted from it publicly here, I think I was on solid ground as well. (He was gratuitously piling on after explaining the property wouldn't be honoring a promotion from their website.)

I think the situation here is different. Certainly Sheryl (and that's clearly who the original poster is speaking of here) may profit from her bulletin board (through ads and referrals to Priceline). But the fact that she may profit from her involvement in travel doesn't disqualify her as a member of the community.

I suppose that emails from Biddingfortravel.com (I think there used to be a monthly newsletter) would be perfectly fair game. And any kind of commercial solicitation sent by Sheryl, especially one sent broadly, could be posted here.

But the mere fact that she profits from her involvement in travel on another website doesn't change anything about personal correspondence that she may have with an individual member here.

At least that's my first gut reaction to the question. I haven't had any personal dealings with her. I don't know here. And I don't know the contents of the email, either.

And I'm speaking only as a community member, and not in any official capacity here.

Just some thoughts.

Best,
Gary
What an articulate way to express yourself on this issue Gary.

I only wish I could give you some positive reputation points right now, but I have to pass some around before you get anymore...

William

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.