Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Geeky question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2004, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Geeky question

For those of us involved in the technical side of making The Intarweb work, could someone tell us some information about the hardware, software and connectivity that makes FT what it is today?

How many servers are handling this load?
What functions have servers dedicated to them? (eg, mail servers, image servers, web/app servers, index servers, db servers, etc)
What configurations are they?
What are the disk subsystems?
What OSes are they running?
What databases?
What load balancing system is used?
Anything other info?
Old Apr 2, 2004, 11:33 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Post trial by geekery

I don't work at webflyer, but the frontend is running Linux, and presumably PHP to support vbb. Dunno what the webserver is--can't get a good fingerprint (and neither can the Netcraft folks, which is odd).

I'd bet a plugged nickel that the database is mysql.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 2:52 pm
21A

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
I don't work at webflyer, but the frontend is running Linux, and presumably PHP to support vbb. Dunno what the webserver is--can't get a good fingerprint (and neither can the Netcraft folks, which is odd).
Indeed it doesn't for www.flyertalk.com, but for just flyertalk.com it shows Apache 1.3.29. Go figure.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

gav$ telnet www.flyertalk.com 80
Trying 64.78.185.92...
Connected to www.flyertalk.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:55:21 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) PHP/4.3.3
Connection: close
Old Apr 2, 2004, 5:18 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

I'll see if we can help you a little. I don't fully understand all the geeky stuff but will try to help. We're running PHP/MySQL on the back end. There are three dedicated servers to FT on a co-lo where we have half a rack. The three servers are ProLiant DL360 G3's with processor upgrades, 2 gb of memory and each has 2 - 72.8gb Ultra hard drives. One of them runs as a member db and the other two as web servers splitting the load balancing. There's more answers to your questions and i'll try and have the guys answer them.

I think you'll undertand we have invested in the hardware for FT, it just needs a few bugs in our optimization to be worked out. We found one in the load balancing today and it helps a little. We have some bad memory we're swapping out ans a few other things. In the next few days, you'll be enjoying what we really had planned for you all.

Thanks for the question and thanks for your support of FlyerTalk.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 5:19 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

I'll see if we can help you a little. I don't fully understand all the geeky stuff but will try to help. We're running PHP/MySQL on the back end. There are three dedicated servers to FT on a co-lo where we have half a rack. The three servers are ProLiant DL360 G3's with processor upgrades from 2.4ghz, 2 gb of memory and each has 2 - 72.8gb Ultra hard drives. One of them runs as a member db and the other two as web servers splitting the load balancing. There's more answers to your questions and i'll try and have the guys answer them.

I think you'll undertand we have invested in the hardware for FT, it just needs a few bugs in our optimization to be worked out. We found one in the load balancing today and it helps a little. We have some bad memory we're swapping out ans a few other things. In the next few days, you'll be enjoying what we really had planned for you all.

Thanks for the question and thanks for your support of FlyerTalk.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Gotta love the double post. You're probably trying to rack up the postcount ala PremEx. =)

If you guys run into any issues and want some help, on any level, please look us up. This site has been an invaluable resource to me, and I'm glad to put my resources to work for you.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 2:05 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
So if I understand correctly, the whole of Flyertalk is running on 3 machines which are about the same spec as a standard desktop computer these days?

No wonder it's slow!

Are you sure you've got your dimensioning calculations right?
Old Apr 3, 2004, 2:07 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by InfrequentSarcasticFlyer
and I'm glad to put my resources to work for you.
James doesn't get enough sleep as it is...
Old Apr 3, 2004, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotta love the double post. You're probably trying to rack up the postcount ala PremEx.
Sorry. You must have me confused with some other post-count whore. I could give a flying F about post count.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by christep
So if I understand correctly, the whole of Flyertalk is running on 3 machines which are about the same spec as a standard desktop computer these days?
Man, I wish that was the spec of my desktop. .
Old Apr 3, 2004, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PremEx
Sorry. You must have me confused with some other post-count whore. I could give a flying F about post count.
Aww. *huggles* Your post count is just an indicator of your dedication to the FF life and the FT community.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Funny how a boring thread got a small handful of replies in the middle of the night. Probably the only time of day that the boxes were able to handle the load. =)

I'd love to let Jamebus poke around..... He could find 10 minutes in his day for it. Just a bit more time than emailing a FedEx label would take. =)
Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep

No wonder it's slow!

Are you sure you've got your dimensioning calculations right?
You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Desktop PC's are awfully overpowered and can not be compared to dual Xeon machines with server architecture boards. At my Co-lo we run loads heavier than FT on machines with lower specs. Besdies that, desktop PC's run Windows and this server runs linux, MAJOR difference.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 1:03 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Your average desktop machine these days, with fast disks, running Linux and Apache and not much else, would probably serve a decent sized web site while using 1% of its resources. Desktop machines have oodles of CPU power available, which only people like Microsoft and games makers manage to slurp up with their bloatware.

Also, when Randy referred to Ultra hard drives, I assume he means SCSI. My ancient 4GB SCSI drives still perform as well as current IDE drives in general use, despite the IDE proponents' (general cheap drive makers) claims to the contrary.

Randy, is there any good reason why your web server machines don't have NTP on them? Having the board's time 5 mins wrong some of the time, 71 mins wrong now, is just amazing, given that the technology to have the time correct has been around for years, is totally trivial to set up, and prevents sys admins having to spend their time (mis-)setting the system clocks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.