Wiki Posts
Search

Securing Connection/Confirm Resubmission when clicking back

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2023, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
GET being turned into a POST and breaking the back button

I mostly browse from https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usercp.php click into threads or forums and then hit the back button to return to usercp.php

Something has changed in the last week or so that seems to be turning HTTP GET requests into POST requests and when I click back I get:
Document Expired
...and when I click on refresh:
To display this page, Firefox must send information that will repeat any action (such as a search or order confirmation) that was performed earlier.
...indicating that the previous request for usercp.php was a POST request and not a GET request.

Any idea what might have changed?
Old Jan 18, 2023, 10:43 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
You're asking the wrong guy, but I'm guessing it's tied to the 500 errors that have become pretty rampant. I have reported that issue to tech
Old Jan 18, 2023, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Securing Connection/Confirm Resubmission when clicking back

Started last night (South Africa time).

When connecting to FT I now get a "Securing Connection" message.

Also at same time, I can no longer simply click the back button. If I do it is asking me to Confirm resubmiting information. (As if I had made selections on previous page. However this is simply clicking back after reading a thread)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 2:38 am
Original Poster

It seems to be Cloudflare that is causing this.

You can see the redirect to cloudflare.hcaptcha.com and when you come back to usercp.php it's a POST instead of a GET.

It wouldn't be so annoying if it was rare but this happens anytime I've not interacted with the site for more than 5-10 minutes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:28 am
Administrator

Are you still receiving an error?
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:39 am
Original Poster

I reproduced it just now after reading your post.
  • Clicked "back"
  • "Document expired"
  • Clicked "reload"
  • "To display this page, Firefox must send information ...."
I'm also seeing a lot of "Cloudflare checking your browser" and "Tick the I'm not a robot box". Not just occasionally but roughly every 15 minutes or so. Not sure why they don't set a cookie and save themselves some resources and me some annoyance.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:58 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by supine
I reproduced it just now after reading your post.
  • Clicked "back"
  • "Document expired"
  • Clicked "reload"
  • "To display this page, Firefox must send information ...."
I'm also seeing a lot of "Cloudflare checking your browser" and "Tick the I'm not a robot box". Not just occasionally but roughly every 15 minutes or so. Not sure why they don't set a cookie and save themselves some resources and me some annoyance.
OK I just saw you're in France? On Tuesday we began having some issues with the site crashing. Users outside the US right now require a Cloudflare check that should be once per session. I'm not a tech person, so I will consult with our team on why you may be receiving the check multiple times and if it might be responsible for your Back button issue
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

OK I just saw you're in France?
FRA = Frankfurt/Main, Germany

​​​​​​​I am a tech person so feel free to connect me directly with folks who want any more troubleshooting/testing.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Same for me. I get random "Securing Connection" page, although so far it has always reconnected.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by IBJoel
OK I just saw you're in France? On Tuesday we began having some issues with the site crashing. Users outside the US right now require a Cloudflare check that should be once per session. I'm not a tech person, so I will consult with our team on why you may be receiving the check multiple times and if it might be responsible for your Back button issue
I've been having the same problem from Australia since about Tuesday. Usually it's just an extra click and a short delay. But about one time in three or four it says a token has been rejected (or something) and I have to close the window and start again. Both on laptop (Dell Windows 10 Firefox) and Android.

Getting really annoying.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 3:06 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
I've been having the same problem from Australia since about Tuesday. Usually it's just an extra click and a short delay. But about one time in three or four it says a token has been rejected (or something) and I have to close the window and start again. Both on laptop (Dell Windows 10 Firefox) and Android.

Getting really annoying.
Same for me from NZ, Australia and UK since approx Monday (nz time). Makes very slow to use FT.
AlwaysFlyStar and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 9:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Getting a lot of this "securing connection" kind of stuff in different countries with multiple different ISPs/IPs. It seems almost like a flash from the past to have to deal with this -- but I'm getting those "you are not a robot" kind of thing. While this stuff is going on, it may be good practice to save the reply text before the "securing connection" stuff results in having to re-write a post that goes into the nether-lands due to this secure connection check thing.

While I don't like this "securing connection" stuff, it is better than a c. 90-day IP address block that was hitting me despite FT being literally the only site of note that seemed to have an issue with that non-commercial IP address in another country.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No idea if it's the same problem but for the last week or two every time I enter Flyertalk I get a ''checking to see if the site connection is secure'' warning. Not been refused entry so far but it's getting a wee bit annoying. This is when using a laptop from home.

Last edited by HIDDY; Jan 22, 2023 at 8:53 am
Old Jan 22, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
vBulletin Message
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
Occasionally getting this error message when trying to post.
Is this new security treatment a permanent treat for non-US based users? It is a bit of a hassle.
I already turn my VPN off when I want to pop on here.
Perhaps this is just an excuse to be able to sell Flyertalk Priority Access where you reduce our experience so that you can sell us what we used to get for free and pretend you are doing us a favour?
Old Jan 22, 2023, 9:38 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
Occasionally getting this error message when trying to post.
Is this new security treatment a permanent treat for non-US based users? It is a bit of a hassle.
I already turn my VPN off when I want to pop on here.
Perhaps this is just an excuse to be able to sell Flyertalk Priority Access where you reduce our experience so that you can sell us what we used to get for free and pretend you are doing us a favour?
Yeah, that's the one I'm getting (three or four times a day). Upthread IBJoel said it was for users outside the US and should be "once per session" but I get the check every time I refresh a page or switch to a different forum. And I get the error message about a missing token once per session (because then I have to stop and restart a new session.)

Maybe because it only affects non-US people it's not getting much attention? But yes, a major hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.