Reload this Page >

Disruptive 2021 Ads on Mobile Device - Please Post SCREEN SHOTS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
There are separate threads for mobile devices as well as for disruptive advertisements and for browser redirects / hijacks, as well as other technical issues. Thank you for keeping the thread on topic and assisting Tech to identify, troubleshoot and deal with bugs in this latest iteration of FlyerTalk for mobile devices.

cblaisd and JDiver, forum Co-Moderators

PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, OPERATING SYSTEM, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSIONS, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content on your MOBILE devicePlease refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

We apologize for bad ads; these often come through third party ad servers placing insufficiently vetted ads through our advertisement content providers. We continuously strive to address and solve this widespread issue more proactively and quickly. Thank you for alerting us and for your patience!

Please see this Wired article for further reading on this ongoing publishing industry issue (it's not just FlyerTalk):
We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts advocating, suggesting, or recommending use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of 2020 posts

Link to Archive of 2019 posts

Link to Archive of 2018 posts.

Link to Archive of 2017 posts

Link to Archive of older posts pre-2017.

Print Wikipost

Disruptive 2021 Ads on Mobile Device - Please Post SCREEN SHOTS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by jbfield
Here are some more that I experience trying to look at this thread.

(Above) As can see - there is no way to close this add. It also causes the rest of the page to fail to load - it's just blank white space.

(Below)
I have to wait a long time for the page to finish loading all it's built in adds and then I can scroll back to the thread page I was trying to look at. The add then appears towards the bottom:

(Below)
As you might see from the horizontal blue progress bar, the website tries to load some more (earlier screenshots indicate the browser thought it had finished loading...but each time I get to the post that I intend to read, the ads in between the earlier posts in the thread start to load and this changes the lenght of the thread, causing me to loose my place).

The floating add then changes to become even bigger

(Below) Then it turns into this one (also not able to close):

Then eventually after scrolls back yet again to the post I was trying to read I get this floating one appear:

Before I can click on the X to close it, the page crashes out:

I give up...

iPhone 6s
iOS 14.4.1
Browser: Safari
I have this same issue in every visit to the forum for the past 2 weeks.

The site is unusable on iOS 14.4.1 on iPhone X because it gets stuck on that error page. I’m lucky if I can read 2 posts before that occurs - and I can’t get the link to open to post a screenshot.

What a bummer, used to visit daily.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:46 am
hsk

Programs: *A, OW, Hyatt, Marriott
Def not an iOS only issue. My instance is from Android.

This has been raised to you guys for weeks, with several users replicating the annoyance and there's no solution? Get your buddies at AnyClip (https://www.anyclip.com/post/interne...inous-platform) to explain what's happening and fix please
Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:50 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Sorry guys, I meant to reply earlier, but my home internet has been spotty this week.
Essentially, we can't replicate this. We had multiple people trying on long threads on Android and iOS. Anyclip, while yes, a little annoying, worked as it's supposed to: The video appears, shrinks when you scroll down, and you click the "X" and it disappears.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 2:21 am
hsk

Hi Joel, '"working as it's supposed to" and "little annoying" shouldn't be acceptable to you (or your ad partner) when user feedback is:

"turned your site into something similar to the click bait Facebook ad sites"
"the perfect way to turn people off"
"I give up..."
"What a bummer, used to visit daily."

If a handful of us have ventured into technical support to raise this, thousands others must be feeling the same way. Genuinely hope you don't accept this as OK.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:49 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by hsk
Hi Joel, '"working as it's supposed to" and "little annoying" shouldn't be acceptable to you (or your ad partner) when user feedback is:

"turned your site into something similar to the click bait Facebook ad sites"
"the perfect way to turn people off"
"I give up..."
"What a bummer, used to visit daily."

If a handful of us have ventured into technical support to raise this, thousands others must be feeling the same way. Genuinely hope you don't accept this as OK.
The reality is this: Online advertising is changing. Video ads are here to stay. They let us keep the lights on and as you can guess, FlyerTalk took a hit, along with every other travel site the past year. If video ads aren't on your favorite sites, they soon will be. I have discussed this with our tech team. I have discussed this with our business team. When we receive feedback, I make sure it is heard by the right people.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:04 pm
hsk

It's not video ads we're protesting here - by all means, go video crazy until traffic resumes. It's the way these video ads disrupt/obstruct site content, often can't be closed, glitch up and freeze that we have comments about.

There is a way to do video ads. This is not the way. If you were able to replicate (ask anyclip to give you a demo) what we're experiencing, I'm optimistic you'd get frustrated and come to agree.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:55 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by hsk
It's not video ads we're protesting here - by all means, go video crazy until traffic resumes. It's the way these video ads disrupt/obstruct site content, often can't be closed, glitch up and freeze that we have comments about.

There is a way to do video ads. This is not the way. If you were able to replicate (ask anyclip to give you a demo) what we're experiencing, I'm optimistic you'd get frustrated and come to agree.
I'm able to close every AnyClip ad. I don't know why a demo from the company would include bugs? I've spent hours on multiple devices, as has our tech team, trying to get one of these things to glitch up.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Exp
It seems that the video ads automatically force Spotify to pause on my iphone (when playing on a bluetooth connected Sonos). Flyertalk is the only website that causes that. Seriously annoying.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 5:38 am

Paka Paka FlyerTalk
This forum is dead to me, the adds are unbearable.

Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:18 am
Administrator

You can X out a few of those ads and the others are static and will just leave your screen as you scroll.
Old May 17, 2021, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Old May 20, 2021, 8:47 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Wonderful. I'll report. Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum

These ads are now hijacking maybe a quarter of all my FT page loads. I'm not having this issue on any other site, so I'm inclined to think the hijacking is at the server end rather than a virus on my phone.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

ughhhh
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:19 am
Administrator

I'll report these. Thanks guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.