Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FlyerTalk News Articles

FlyerTalk news articles may be read here (link).

The FlyerTalk front / home page is here.
(Includes trending "must read" articles, FrugalTravelGuy blog links, "your notifications" list, short listing of pending FT Dos / Meetups, highlighted FT news stories, a short list of FT columns, links trending threads and your subscription information.

Neither the Community Director nor Technical Support personnel are involved with the News section or its production. To provide feedback to FT News columnists, please use the Comment function under the relevant article.

Thank you,

The Technical Support and Feedback forum moderation team

Print Wikipost

Feedback on Flyertalk News

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver

Nice stock photo from a long time ago.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:08 pm

Editors? Please?

Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
We may have solved the question as to whether FT has a editor for their front page "articles"...yes, however they don't appear to check to see if the writer responded to their notes. Here, what appears to be a note asking to identify the unnamed consumer protection agency (note the "Which?" in numerous spots), for example:

U.K. consumer protections organization, Which? has accused European carriers of intentionally breaking the law by enforcing so-called “no-show” policies – permitting the airlines to cancel return booking if passengers should miss outgoing flights for any reason. According to the advocacy group, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, KLM and others regularly enforce the rule.
(emphasis added)

Edit: Correction, the error appears to have been in not italicizing and in some cases not properly punctuating the word as the title of a magazine (thanks to DYKWIA for pointing out). Apologies for the error on my part. However note that a good proofreading and a working editor would have caught this before the article was published - especially knowing the readership would be mostly non-UK and with a publication using a common word as its title. So I take back my hypothesis that an editor exists!

Add in the minor detail of using a photo of a WN aircraft to go along with a post that's about a UK group advocating in the context of UK/EU law, aside from one sentence comparing the situation in North America. I guess Shutterstock was all out of UK or EU airline photos today.

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/c...w-clauses.html

Last edited by 84fiero; Dec 12, 2018 at 7:39 am
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Add in the minor detail of using a photo of a WN aircraft to go along with a post that's about a UK group advocating in the context of UK/EU law, aside from one sentence comparing the situation in North America. I guess Shutterstock was all out of UK or EU airline photos today.
They could have used the one in the post above yours and would only be half incorrect
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by diburning
They could have used the one in the post above yours and would only be half incorrect
That's true!! ^
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:59 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by 84fiero
We may have solved the question as to whether FT has a editor for their front page "articles"...yes, however they don't appear to check to see if the writer responded to their notes. Here, what appears to be a note asking to identify the unnamed consumer protection agency (note the "Which?" in numerous spots), for example:
Which? is the name of the UK Consumer Magazine.

https://www.which.co.uk
​​​​​
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ladies and Gentlemen, dear Kids,
FT takes reports of faulty/shoddily written news items rather serious and depends on your feedback. FT news is not part of of the FTG website, but a separate entity. I have therefore split off the comments on FT News from the FTG thread in EM&PR and creted a new thread, which I will move into the feedback forum. Please continue the reports there, or PM @IBMeg directly if you see an error in the news articles.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Which? is the name of the UK Consumer Magazine.

https://www.which.co.uk
​​​​​
In which case, the title of the magazine should have been italicized in the article (non-italicized in the opening paragraph which is itself italicized already). One reason for that is to avoid the very confusion that I experienced. He also neglected to use a closing comma after the first instance of the name and missed the chance to properly punctuate the name later. All of which make it appear to the casual reader to be a random note left in the article - especially to those outside the circulation area of a publication (and one with a common word as its title!!).

Just more sloppiness that a proper proofreading and editing would have caught. And not an isolated incident. If IB is trying to create professional articles here, they have some work to do IMHO. I guess if they just want some filler, then disregard!

Last edited by 84fiero; Dec 12, 2018 at 7:41 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
FT takes reports of faulty/shoddily written news items rather serious and depends on your feedback...
They should really depend on an editor instead, but sure, I'll send IBMeg a PM the next time I see something that needs to be fixed.

To be fair, the issues posted here are fixed relatively quickly after they're pointed out.

Last edited by diburning; Dec 12, 2018 at 8:33 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended

Thanks for the feedback!

I have italicized the name of the publication and added a link in the text. Always feel free to @IBMeg me if you see a problem in an article and its editor has not responded in a timely fashion.

Meg
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:17 pm

Alright, since I sent a message to IBMeg, and it hasn't been fixed, I think it's fair at this point to post my critique publicly as I've given it enough time.

In this article: https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/w...l-in-2019.html

The title indicates that the article would answer why a US passport is less powerful in 2019. Except it doesn't. It explains the rating process, and it tells us which is the top passport, as well as the US passport's position over time. But, it doesn't answer or explain why it is less powerful in 2019 which was supposed to be the whole premise of the article as titled!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:16 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by diburning
Alright, since I sent a message to IBMeg, and it hasn't been fixed, I think it's fair at this point to post my critique publicly as I've given it enough time.

In this article: https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/w...l-in-2019.html

The title indicates that the article would answer why a US passport is less powerful in 2019. Except it doesn't. It explains the rating process, and it tells us which is the top passport, as well as the US passport's position over time. But, it doesn't answer or explain why it is less powerful in 2019 which was supposed to be the whole premise of the article as titled!
I think it's less powerful because it slipped down the rankings. Because it doesn't get you into as many countries visa-free as compared to the countries placed higher on the list. But I have sent Meg your comment, thank you.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:41 am

News headlines with no articles

Recently i have clicked on a few news headlines on flyer talk news section on to find ... nothing. no artice just a headline and a picture . any thoughts ???
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:49 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I will ask that the Delta Forum moderators move this to the correct forum for questions such as these, which is: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...-feedback-386/
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by horseymike
Recently i have clicked on a few news headlines on flyer talk news section on to find ... nothing. no artice just a headline and a picture . any thoughts ???
Hi horseymike, this is an error on the site that we're looking into. Can you tell me the headline and where (e.g. under "Recent Articles" or the "Most Read" column on the front page) and when you accessed it?

Thanks,

IBMeg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.