Reload this Page >

Periodic FT issues (crash, Cloudflare, database errors) - DDoS attack, cf wiki

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FlyerTalk Up, Down, Crash, DDoS, Database Error, etc.

Thursday July 26, 2018, FlyerTalk was under a DDoS / Distributed Denial of Service attack; it seems to be persisting since then. Cloudflare services are keeping the site up, but you may see errors, page call intercepts and delays while the attack is ongoing.

If you are posting content, select all and copy prior to saving or posting to prevent losing your work. Then you can still post it after overcoming the redirect.

For further information on Cloudflare and its workings, see Post #82 by plunet.

FlyerTalk up or down troubles? Check by using: http://isup.me- or http://www.isitdown.us, http://www.doj.me.

Or use this direct link - http://downorisitjustme.com/res.php?url=flyertalk.com

If it is just you, try: reloading the page; emptying your cache; deleting one or more cookies; quitting and restarting your browser or trying an alternate or shutting down and rebooting your device.

Print Wikipost

Periodic FT issues (crash, Cloudflare, database errors) - DDoS attack, cf wiki

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kipper
I'm still receiving the CloudFlare message today.
Me too.....and I'm using different wifi than yesterday.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
The cloudflare messages will continue to appear until the attack subsides. The holding page is making a technical assessment that your request is genuine. If this wasn't done the site would typically be on its knees and unresponsive.

Without knowing the details this is most likely an attempt at blackmail. Assuming its blackmail, the attackers are waiting to see if the site owners pay the bitcoins (or other cryptocurrency) to stop the attack. At some point the budget the attackers have to fund the attack (they typically rent attack resource also paid in bitcoins) will run out, and everyone moves on. If you're really lucky law enforcement might get an angle on the perpetrators of the attack, but that's fairly rare.

Having seen the consequences of denial of service attacks elsewhere, FlyerTalk are at a technical level well prepared and have the right defenses in place, and although the holding page and database errors are inconvenient, they are doing the right thing so bear with them. At the current time the only thong iithink they could to do to improve might be a sticky announcement might help spread the word that they are busy working on the issue.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:48 pm

Checking your browser

What is it with this "checking your browser before accessing flyertalk.com" nonsense?

It's totally annoying.
Miggles likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:39 pm

Cloudflare.... ugh

Could IB not afford a real security platform and/or CDN????
Miggles likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by pvn
Getting a lot of "Checking your browser" cloudflare screens all of a sudden. Extremely annoying.
Ditto.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by fransknorge
The Wikipedia page of Cloudfare makes for interesting reading. Seems this company is very far from being clean and ethical.
I have no dog in the fight and no interest in Cloudflare and no reason to defend them against any statements, true or not, but your comment piqued my interest and so I went looking for what you're alluding to...and I don't see it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloudf..._controversies

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Cloudflare.... ugh

Could IB not afford a real security platform and/or CDN????
I've kind of always felt that Cloudflare was the lazy way out, but I have nothing to base that upon. Just curious, what would a better solution be?

Last edited by jackal; Jul 27, 2018 at 9:06 pm
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Possible Security Breach

Hi IT / Admin I know you've been having issues last couple days and don't wish to add to them but could one of you PM about a sec breach I will spotted. Don't want to put details in open forum for obvious details but feel free to PM me or use the email registered to my account and will send you details.

Relative Newbie here so wasn't sure who to reach out to. Any knowledgeable FTs who know who is good for such things please tag them / make them aware if you would be so kind

Thanks in advance
IBJoel likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Why would you not post further details? Kind of pointless without. Are you referring to the 'Checking Your Browser' message?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:43 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I got that today, LE, is that a known issue?

I seem to have been logged out of a couple sites on my home machine, this one and CC so far
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
It’s one thing to check that I’m a human, but another to repeat the same check every couple minutes. Including after hitting the submit button on posts, and then failing to actually submit the post afterwards, losing what I wrote in the process.
wrp96, pvn and chrisl137 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by javabytes
It’s one thing to check that I’m a human, but another to repeat the same check every couple minutes. Including after hitting the submit button on posts, and then failing to actually submit the post afterwards, losing what I wrote in the process.
We know it’s an inconvenience (it is for us Mods as well) , but FlyerTalk (and at least one other Internet Brands forum we know of) have been under a Distributed Denial of Service attack. Cloudflare is intercepting that, but it periodically may intervene and redirect during your browsing with a popup whilst it is checking.

This is explained in the Wikipost at the top of the page, which also advises

If you are posting content, select all and copy prior to saving or posting to prevent losing your work. Then you can still post it after overcoming the redirect.
JDiver, Co-Moderator
IBJoel likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 29, 2018 at 8:22 pm
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by javabytes
Yeah, this is driving me nuts.

TURN IT OFF! Or at least find a better solution to block the attacks.

Please.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:33 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
You do understand that turning it off means the site will be fully down until the attack stops ?
JDiver, jackal, EDIflyer and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Yeah, this is driving me nuts.

TURN IT OFF! Or at least find a better solution to block the attacks.

Please.
I get that the holding page is annoying, but do you have any suggestions on better solutions to keep web services up whilst unknown 3rd parties are trying to bring the site down in a sustained attack from many random and changing source addresses? If you don't have the holding page there would be no FlyerTalk at the moment.
jackal, EDIflyer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:00 pm

How often has FT been under a DDOS attack? I cannot remember ever seeing these CloudFare messages before. Was I just not paying attention?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.