Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Report Disruptive 2018 Ads on Mobile Device & Screen Shots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: the 2019 thread can be found here.

PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, OPERATING SYSTEM, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSIONS, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content on your MOBILE devicePlease refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
Please see post #132 for further reading on this ongoing publishing industry issue (it's not just FlyerTalk) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29310693-post132.html

We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts advocating, suggesting, or recommending use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of 2017 posts

Link to Archive of older posts pre-2017.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Report Disruptive 2018 Ads on Mobile Device & Screen Shots

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by pvn
I'm sympathetic to the argument that free websites like FT need ad revenue.
It's the opposite. You are generating free content that the parent company sells as a marketing tool.
rufflesinc and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thankfully somebody posted this on the United forum (it was moved here). I had no idea this was so widespread and I have been at wits end trying to figure it out. I too have been getting the Amazon free Gift full page ads for about a month now. If I hit the back button it completely knocks me off FT. Somebody suggested switching to Chrome, but why should I have to do this? Flyertalk -- please fix this!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by chicagorich
Same experience on my iphone as previous couple of posters. Mobile is completely unusable. How can a travel oriented web site put forth such a lousy mobile user experience.?
Same. iOS on an iphone 6
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:08 am
RETIRED -- do not PM

Thanks for the updates and concerns everyone. The screenshots have been really helpful, allowing me to report multiple ads to our ad-ops team.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Same. iOS on an iphone 6
Should have said mine is a 6s plus.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: DL, AA, BA, SPG
Why do we need to post screen shots of something that this site is well aware of, has been going on for years, and has done nothing about? You already know what these despicable ads look like without my help. This is not a mystery that needs to be solved. It is the willing sale of flyertalk users to the sleaziest high bidder. Don't waste your time posting screenshots and trying to "help."

The only thing that will convince them to make a real change is when Flyertalkers leave en masse. There are plenty of other sites out there. Who agrees?
Buster and scottpenderson like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by safigan
The popups are not due to FlyerTalk. You have malware on your iPad.
LOL, yeah um no.

It's happening with new Iphone X. Malware and iphone X? This is an iphone, not a samdung.

FT needs to get their act together.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Technical Support Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:23 pm

I just spent 2 weeks without FT because I was traveling with only an iPad, and the entire site was unusable. Made me realize that I don't really need this site. I suspect others will follow if this doesn't get fixed. I'm not risking my device so that IB can earn a few bucks.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:20 pm

Using Ad. Block... for iOS on iPad and MacBook. No pop ups.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:33 pm

This same popup add has been plaguing an automobile forum I frequent for some time. I only have the problem when accessing using my IPhone. Installed Firefox with ad blocker and that took care of it. No issues on my PC
People that put these things out there need to be shot
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:14 pm

Truthfully I'm surprised just how bad it's gotten in the last couple days... those amazon ads hijacking the screen every 10 to 15 seconds on my mobile! When I first started encountering this way back when, I felt a bit of sympathy for FT - it wouldn't be the first time that someone unscrupulously sold an advertising package to a website and then took advantage of them (feeding ads they never expected their users to see, etc.), but I'm sorry, this is no longer a situation where one can claim innocence and ask for forgiveness... while also asking users to do the leg work of sending screen shots, etc... not as bad as it's gotten combined with how long it's been going on.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The problem is 3rd party adware which users have probably downloaded from a malicious site. It's more user error than something Flyertalk did.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DiscHandler
The problem is 3rd party adware which users have probably downloaded from a malicious site. It's more user error than something Flyertalk did.
Then why does it only happen on FT?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by DiscHandler
That is 100% false. For starters, it often happens on iOS devices, which are locked down tightly. They can't be infected with "3rd party adware" the way desktop systems can.

The problem is Javascript embedded into an innocuous-looking ad. IB approves the ad, thinking it's OK, then its true nature only becomes apparent when the payload is deployed. I'm somewhat sympathetic to IB's plight, since everyone is suffering, even major publishers.
wrp96, chavala, kyanar and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.