Wiki Posts
Search

iPad Specific Display and Related Issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
iPad Specific Display and Related Issues

Title says all. This is not new, at least 2 years since it is a real pain to write threads/posts on FT from an iPad. As long as the text you are posting/quoting is longer than the typing window, you don’t see your cursor aymore after the first letter typed. It becomes so impossible to use the system properly that it is now required to type your text elsewhere and copy/paste in FT, but ten your pain is not over because you have a lot of formatting Issues.

Add to this the picture orientation issue for the hotel reviews. Come on FT : how on earth can you have such an unfriendly interface with iOS devices, which represent a large population of FT users ?

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 14, 2017 at 1:19 pm Reason: Restore original thread title
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I pretty much exclusively moderate and read FlyerTalk using an iPad (three, actually, though mostly on an iPad Air 2) using Safari (both OS and browser in latest iterations) and generally am not having these problems. Occasionally I use Chrome, same thing, no issues.

As a start, perhaps you could try clearing your cache. Maybe Admin will offer other suggestions.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
I pretty much exclusively moderate and read FlyerTalk using an iPad (three, actually, though mostly on an iPad Air 2) using Safari (both OS and browser in latest iterations) and generally am not having these problems. Occasionally I use Chrome, same thing, no issues.

As a start, perhaps you could try clearing your cache. Maybe Admin will offer other suggestions.
Reading is not an issue at all, writing/posting/editing long posts/wiki is. I have a very recent iPad (Air 2) with last iOS version. This has not always been the case. I said for about 2 years (so I had it also on my previous iPad). I don’t know if the problem started with a FT system upgrade or an iOS change.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Reading is not an issue at all, writing/posting/editing long posts/wiki is. I have a very recent iPad (Air 2) with last iOS version. This has not always been the case. I said for about 2 years (so I had it also on my previous iPad). I don’t know if the problem started with a FT system upgrade or an iOS change.
I am moderating with my iPad Air 2, OS 11, Safari including editing, adding and editing Wikiposts, editing and moving posts and threads, etc. as well as making occasionally extensive posts with subparagraphs, etc. and I’m not experiencing these issues. My word wrap works fine, my cursor is showing, etc.

I hope an Admin can comment or make suggestions about your issue.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I almost exclusively participate in FlyerTalk on my iPad Air too. I don’t experience too many issues that come to mind.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:57 am
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Title says all. This is not new, at least 2 years since it is a real pain to write threads/posts on FT from an iPad. As long as the text you are posting/quoting is longer than the typing window, you don’t see your cursor aymore after the first letter typed. It becomes so impossible to use the system properly that it is now required to type your text elsewhere and copy/paste in FT, but ten your pain is not over because you have a lot of formatting Issues.

Add to this the picture orientation issue for the hotel reviews. Come on FT : how on earth can you have such an unfriendly interface with iOS devices, which represent a large population of FT users ?
We do test with tablets, but have not seen the issue you are discussing. If you can capture them in a screen shot or video, I will certainly review it.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by IBobi
We do test with tablets, but have not seen the issue you are discussing. If you can capture them in a screen shot or video, I will certainly review it.
thanks for your consideration. Screenshot is not a way to explain you this. I will try a video during the weekend.
IBobi likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:58 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Having difficulties with FT on iPad Air2 myself the last couple of days. Assumed it was to do with trying to fix bugs in the 15th Nov. Update. As you can see in the screenshot, the cursor and text is hidden under the top banner. The only way I could attach this screenshot was by adding it first before any text otherwise the attachment button was unresponsive with text in the reply box.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

I have the same problem.as Saltire74 and also as you can see on the screenshot just above the text I am typing, most of the formatting options are not usable.

Last edited by Goldorak; Dec 14, 2017 at 12:06 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

I never managed to attach the screenshot in my previous post by editing it (another bug)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Regarding Ipad problems, on another thread, I previously reported problems reading FT on my Ipad when I finger-swipe to zoom the page (for my failing eyes). What happens is that the right-side advertisement migrates over the words and makes trying to read FT a very cumbersome experience. This situation has not been fixed since it was first reported a few weeks ago. Hope it does. Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Regarding Ipad problems, on another thread, I previously reported problems reading FT on my Ipad when I finger-swipe to zoom the page (for my failing eyes). What happens is that the right-side advertisement migrates over the words and makes trying to read FT a very cumbersome experience. This situation has not been fixed since it was first reported a few weeks ago. Hope it does. Thanks.
This has been reported and will be fixed in a future update.
747FC likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC

I never managed to attach the screenshot in my previous post by editing it (another bug)
I will ask IBJoel to report these issues to tech.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I’m returning to FT after a two-month break. I use my iPad almost exclusively.

When browsing the new FT on my iPad Pro, scrolling to the top of a thread causes additional, earlier posts to appear for some reason, rather than simply making the page header visible. Can this be turned off? I regularly scroll to the top to return to the “My FlyerTalk” page, but that’s now impossible. The new behavior is very disorienting, and it’s not something I’ve observed on other websites. While scrolling to the end of a page often triggers an endless scroll (Facebook, Tumblr, etc.), I’ve never seen scrolling to the top of a page autoload additional content.

I’m using Safari on a 9.7” iPad Pro running iOS 11.2.1.

P.S. The new Advanced WYSIWYG editor also seems to ignore line breaks when used on the iPad. I had to return to the post and edit it to get these line breaks to appear.

Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
I’m returning to FT after a two-month break. I use my iPad almost exclusively.

When browsing the new FT on my iPad Pro, scrolling to the top of a thread causes additional, earlier posts to appear for some reason, rather than simply making the page header visible. Can this be turned off? I regularly scroll to the top to return to the “My FlyerTalk” page, but that’s now impossible. The new behavior is very disorienting, and it’s not something I’ve observed on other websites. While scrolling to the end of a page often triggers an endless scroll (Facebook, Tumblr, etc.), I’ve never seen scrolling to the top of a page autoload additional content.

I’m using Safari on a 9.7” iPad Pro running iOS 11.2.1.

P.S. The new Advanced WYSIWYG editor also seems to ignore line breaks when used on the iPad. I had to return to the post and edit it to get these line breaks to appear.
These issues have been reported previously -- please peruse the Support forums for more info.

The editor issue can't really be solved right now but we will have a fix in an upcoming patch.

As to the First issue you mentioned, it's called Infinite Scroll. You can turn it off in MyFlyerTalk, Edit Options, Disable Infinite Scroll, SAVE Changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.