Community
Wiki Posts
Search

chrome freezing on FT

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

chrome freezing on FT

Is there any reason why FT often makes my chrome freeze/hang? Is it the ad issue?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Is there any reason why FT often makes my chrome freeze/hang? Is it the ad issue?
My Chrome doesn't do so, but I'm using it on an iPad Air II with iOS 10.3.3.

But Admin / Tech might be able to provide better assistance if you tell them which OS and version you're using, Chrone version and any add-ones you might be using,and perhaps hardware.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My Chrome doesn't either. I'm on Windows 7.

Cheers.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you can share your system configuration and stats, OS, browser and versions that might enable those who wish to help domso more effectively.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Well, I use different systems.

Firstly, on android phones FT is very slow and laggy. Version 7

On my laptop running Windows 10 it is slow and sometimes freezes.

And then on a Windows 7 desktop it can also hang. Then after a while the "wait or kill" popup comes up.

I guess I just have to try an ad-blocker to see if it is that. FT loads a tremendous amount of other pages, more than any other website I visit.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Raising this thread as I've had issues with FT and Chrome for years and the latest FT updates have made this far worse.

I run Windows 7 (all latest patches) and Chrome (all latest patches). Whether FT is the only tab or one of many tabs I have open it grinds Chrome to a standstill for 10s of seconds at a time, then it tries to catch up to the scrolling I've tried to do, then it freezes again. I'm not sure if it's related to all of the ads being loaded or the auto-scroll feature that's now in use. However, as I said, before the auto-scroll feature was possible I still had this issue so I'm more inclined to think ad related.

This only happens when I'm looking into a thread. When I'm looking at a list of threads (e.g. United MileagePlus landing page) this doesn't seem to happen.

This screen shot was when I had been reading a thread for several minutes.

The one FT tab was taking up over 2GB of memory and 75% CPU utilization. I have an i7.

The second I get out of the thread by going back to the list of threads in a forum or closing the tab then Chrome settles down, releases a bunch of memory and the CPU calms down to 'normal'.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
RM
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

So I guess now Chrome is offering to kill FT pages. Is this an improvement?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
OP & others....I am using Internet Explorer v 11 on my laptop using windows 10.
After scrolling on FTa few times cursor slows down and then freezes. Cannot even close the page unless I do a ctrl-alt-del. Does not happen on any other side. Where do I turn ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.