Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pop Up Blocker & FT Warning Box

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Pop Up Blocker & FT Warning Box

I would just like to put this out here as general info to those who run flyer talk, and I know it could be a bit of a contentious post/debate...

I run A top of the line laptop from 7 years ago, so I mean by today's standard she is old, but generaly has no issues running any app, or website, except 2;

Facebook & Flyertalk.

Facebook has become so overrun with adds and media that from a PC's prospective you could not have any other program or site open unless you expect some lag, and considering the multimedia behind it, it is somewhat understandable.

Flyertalk on the other hand is a forum. Now the adds on this forum have become so intrusive, loud booming advertisements, advertisements that do not properly fit in the space available skewing the actual content left, right, up down, etc. For some time to enjoy my experience on this creative and constructive forum I have employed an add blocker. Flyer talk seems to be fighting back with an annoying reminder to disable it. So this morning for fun I did, as going post to post trying to help some noobies, I got rather annoyed by the click here to get rid of this new intrusive add. What did I find?

Again, same garbage advertisements, booming lound BS from Ford or GM about the latest vehicles that I have 0 interest in, having to wait an addition 15 to 20 seconds for all their content to load that constantly resets the positions on the page where real content is... After 30 seconds the add blocker went back on, 5 seconds to ignore a FT add is much more tolerable then the adds them selves.

Bottom line; I understand that adds are needed to pay the bills, but when adds are that intrusive, time consuming to load versus forum content, people will defend them selves from them. If there is no monitoring of adds, and testing on various platforms then people will be annoyed and block them.

This is just my 2 cents.

Suggestion? Test adds and accept/reject them accordingly.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:38 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The placement, etc., of advertisements is the responsibility of FlyerTalk's owner, Internet Brands.

Therefore I will send this to the Technical Support forum for IB staff to read and comment upon.

cblaisd
Co-Moderator, The Suggestion Box forum
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:02 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Hello,

If there are particular ads that are problematic, please report them in the thread that was started for this purpose:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...een-shots.html

Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.