FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1750824-archive-all-disruptive-ads-advertisement-ft-older-posts.html)

Hodders Dec 12, 2016 1:42 pm

Think I'm having the same issues as memesweeper. Only seems to occur on iOS on Safari (iOS 10.0.2), but not on my MacBook. When visiting Flyertalk forums (and also PPRUNE, also Internet Bulletin Boards occasionally though with nothing like the same frequency as on Flyertalk) I regularly get an App Store popup like below.

http://i.imgur.com/thbtYJN.jpg

If I remove the data:text/html;base64, and then run the remainder through a base64 decoder it does generate html, and I can pass this to anyone that needs it, but don't want to post it generally as it does include some personal information.

This seems to occur when there is a Monster Legends advert at the top of the page, but this may be unrelated.

Having cleared all website data from my phone this continues to occur, and still occurs following a full reset to factory settings so I don't beleive this is related to malware on my phone. I presume it is a rogue advertiser using a rather sketchy JavaScript command to try to force me through to the App Store.

Is this occurring for anyone else, and do I need to do anything else to bring it to the attention of Internet Bulletin Boards or do they read new posts in this forum?

Many thanks,
Hodders

IBobi Dec 12, 2016 1:55 pm

Try Photobucket. I don't think imgur works here.

Or you can make a FT album and post from there.

Or you can click GO ADVANCED and attach it.

Hodders Dec 12, 2016 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 27601551)
Try Photobucket. I don't think imgur works here.

Or you can make a FT album and post from there.

Or you can click GO ADVANCED and attach it.

Think I solved it, at least it's showing for me now. Still on imgur but the link they give doesn't include the .jpg on the end, and adding that seems to have made it appear correctly now.

memesweeper Dec 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Hodders has the exact same experience as me. Happy to share any details in a PM to he site owners. Switching to the full site (as opposed to
Mobile version) does not fix the issue.

boutela Dec 15, 2016 2:21 am

Originally Posted by memesweeper (Post 27597615)
When using this forum on iOS periodically I get a screen refresh (from embedded page data, not a hosted page) which pops up a fake 'open this in App Store' dialog ... pressing anything then tries to send you off elsewhere (hint: hit back in Safari to avoid). You can try and renter the thread and probably won't see the same problem but 'last read' position is lost. Super annoying. Could a mod raise this with the site owners/hosters? Almost certainly a malware laden third party ads server is the cause.

This. This trick has been seen several times now—it was Game of War, among other things—and every time it pops up I have to stop reading FT on mobile for a few weeks until it goes away again. Can't IB identify the cause/vector?

Land-of-Miles Dec 15, 2016 9:29 am

Having real issues with loud noisy intrusive video ads popping up and playing unprompted on many screens using Microsoft Edge browser. Makes the site unusable for me and ....... seems to do nothing to resolve.

IBobi Dec 15, 2016 1:32 pm

Thank you everyone -- the mobile ad hijack issue and the audio ads have been reported and we will work to remove them.

Having said that, we paused one of our mobile ad networks yesterday in an effort to remedy the hijack; are you still seeing the hijacks today on mobile?

Hodders Dec 15, 2016 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 27617260)
Having said that, we paused one of our mobile ad networks yesterday in an effort to remedy the hijack; are you still seeing the hijacks today on mobile?

Hasnt seemed as frequent over the past 24 hours, but has still been occuring, including one in the past few minutes (01:47 GMT).
I have not stored the links that have popped up as I didn't trust them that much, but if you need me to PM you the link when it next occurs so you can view the decoded HTML then let me know.
Thanks for trying to solve this,
Hodders

boutela Dec 16, 2016 4:44 am

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 27617260)

Thanks—but yes, I just checked on my phone and the first thread I tried was hijacked.

data:text/html;base64, ... etc. (Full text available on request.)

crazyjimmy Dec 21, 2016 11:58 pm

Continually happening over the past week using iPhone 7 - mostly redirects trying to force open the App Store to download the skybet app (undoubtedly targeted from my browsing history!)

Can email screenshots if requested. Makes the forum too annoying to use on this device.

WIRunner Dec 22, 2016 5:28 pm

1 Attachment(s)
There's a lexus ad that automatically plays with audio.

GoAmtrak Dec 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Mobile hijack on iOS/Safari is happening again. Domain this time is you-gift-card(dot)pw, the usual "randomly selected to receive a $1000 gift card" messaging.

readywhenyouare Dec 24, 2016 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak (Post 27651949)
Mobile hijack on iOS/Safari is happening again. Domain this time is you-gift-card(dot)pw, the usual "randomly selected to receive a $1000 gift card" messaging.

Same here. Please stop this. You are going to drive people away from Flyer Talk.

rustykettel Dec 25, 2016 11:32 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Same as last two above. iOS/safari current version

Duke787 Dec 26, 2016 8:31 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 27662682)
Same as last two above. iOS/safari current version

Same here. Had been fine since last reported until last night. Now occuring multiple times including as I was posting this.

Android Samsung S7 Edge/Chrome