FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1750824-archive-all-disruptive-ads-advertisement-ft-older-posts.html)

Starblazer May 2, 2015 6:50 pm

what ads?

oenophilist May 2, 2015 6:59 pm

never mind :)

DenverBrian May 2, 2015 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by oenophilist (Post 24756316)
Is it just me, or are the Flyertalk ads becoming extremely annoying lately? I know ads are personalized, but this is the only place I go where the ads are the flashy kind that I detest with a passion. I'm wondering if others see the same infuriatingly annoying ads, or if it is just me?

It's just you. If you're not using Firefox and Voldemort.

davie355 May 2, 2015 7:00 pm

Not to be a downer, but using or advocating the use of ....... on FT is actually a bannable offense. :o

essxjay May 2, 2015 8:27 pm

Using ....... is not a bannable offense.

WIRunner May 2, 2015 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay (Post 24756579)

A site admin seems to disagree.

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 24729439)
This is correct. You have malware. It's not FlyerTalk. Run your A/V program and clear cookies.

To remind everyone, using or recommending ad block on this site is a violation of the TOS and can get your account banned. FlyerTalk is a *free* site. The ads are what keep it going.

Paul

I have no problem "green-listing" websites for allowing ads through, the instant they get out of control I add them to the block list. I've had to use the Mercury browser on my iPad because of the App Store Hijack that keeps popping up.

Some of them, like the new Chase United explorer ad, seems to really slow down my phone because of the graphics. This all being said, the Tech Support is probably a better place to talk about this, there's several threads there already.

DenverBrian May 2, 2015 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner (Post 24756620)

And later on in that thread, a FT member notes that such language is nowhere to be found in the FT Rules. @:-)

WIRunner May 2, 2015 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 24756640)
And later on in that thread, a FT member notes that such language is nowhere to be found in the FT Rules. @:-)

Thank you!

dergon darkhelm May 3, 2015 8:17 am

Glad I am not alone. Some of those ads were coming close to giving me seizures.

essxjay May 3, 2015 9:36 am

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 24756363)
Not to be a downer, but using or advocating the use of ....... on FT is actually a bannable offense. :o

Originally Posted by essxjay (Post 24756579)

Originally Posted by WIRunner (Post 24756620)

I have no problem "green-listing" websites for allowing ads through, the instant they get out of control I add them to the block list. I've had to use the Mercury browser on my iPad because of the App Store Hijack that keeps popping up.

Thanks for checking on that DenverBrian. There's also nothing in the legal notices addressing the use of ad blocking software, Grease Monkey scripts or the like.

dergon darkhelm May 3, 2015 12:00 pm

I really don't mind a little bit of targeted advertising, but when the appearance is so annoying and distracting as to make it difficult to read the forum page ...

Loren Pechtel May 3, 2015 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by oenophilist (Post 24756316)
Is it just me, or are the Flyertalk ads becoming extremely annoying lately? I know ads are personalized, but this is the only place I go where the ads are the flashy kind that I detest with a passion. I'm wondering if others see the same infuriatingly annoying ads, or if it is just me?

Yeah, today it's riddled with those shaky-window animated types, all garbage about an iPhone 6.

gfunkdave May 3, 2015 6:40 pm

If you're getting truly obnoxious ads, then you probably have some kind of malware. I don't think FT hosts flashing/shaky/generally obnoxious ads.

The idea that you can be banned for using/recommending an ad blocker is news to me. But please do remember that FT is a free service, and that ads pay for bandwidth and servers.

nerd May 3, 2015 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay (Post 24758271)
Thanks for checking on that DenverBrian. There's also nothing in the legal notices addressing the use of ad blocking software, Grease Monkey scripts or the like.

I am the FT member who pointed that out.

I was told by that FT admin that regardless of what the TOS says he would have no problem suspending me the next time I discussed the use of ....... here on FT.

I was also told you could be suspended even for just using an Ad-blocker.

Go figure...

essxjay May 3, 2015 11:26 pm

Thanks for the backstory, nerd.

Mods are checking into the question of whether FT prohibits members from using or mentioning ....... in the forums. We'll get back to you soonest.

essxjay, the OMNIs co-mod