Wiki Posts
Search

is Flyertalk unstable?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
is Flyertalk unstable?

Just curious to know if anyone else has issues with the Flyertalk BA website?
I use Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 11, and frequently have issues with this website (but not with others).
A routine example is that for me, the page number selection at the top of the threads doesn't work properly. If I have page 1 selected the buttons for 2-9 do not work. If I select page 11, the buttons for12-19 don't work.
The page number selection at the bottom appears to be ok.

I quite often have the page freeze, and also often get a message from Norton saying they have removed a dodgy file wen I first open up Flyertalk.

Other than that my PC runs ok. I have completed comprehensive virus checks and all appears to be clear - but Flyertalk BA is an issue. Anyone else have any problems?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
No but some of the posters are
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
pretty unstable after certain DOs and after certain hours (apart from those of us who behave impeccably at all times).
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Often get slow running scripts associated with ads.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:00 am

Ditto, I suspect the main site is OK but the adds seem troublesome. I do not expect to see the 'You are the 1000th visitor to this site' type of persistent window popping up on a reputable site.......... JT
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by whiskerxx
Just curious to know if anyone else has issues with the Flyertalk BA website?
I use Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 11, and frequently have issues with this website (but not with others).
A routine example is that for me, the page number selection at the top of the threads doesn't work properly. If I have page 1 selected the buttons for 2-9 do not work. If I select page 11, the buttons for12-19 don't work.
The page number selection at the bottom appears to be ok.

I quite often have the page freeze, and also often get a message from Norton saying they have removed a dodgy file wen I first open up Flyertalk.

Other than that my PC runs ok. I have completed comprehensive virus checks and all appears to be clear - but Flyertalk BA is an issue. Anyone else have any problems?
I've had something similar when I browse on my ipad with regards the numbers at the top (but notably not at the bottom).

What I have put it down to is there is an advert which isn't properly rendering - it's got a bunch of text which is hanging down over that section of the website and preventing a touch on the numbers area.

Doesn't affect me on the desktop as I'm running ........
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use two machines to access FT.

One has ....... and ft is fine , fast and easy to access.

Another hasn't ....... loaded. Ft becomes slow, difficult and I sometimes impossible to access.

THe ads for what ever reasons do seem to cause problems.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:47 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The flash ads have become a real problem on FT. I have disabled flash which has fixed the issue.

I would suggest you post in the below threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...een-shots.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...alk-today.html
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Yes! completely agree. Becoming unusable unless its the only thing open. I think its something to do with video advertising content thats trying to load - and on safari it tries to open right where the page numbers are. Its very annoying.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
it's certainly the adverts. I find it on other sites and forums as well, highly annoying.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
I have had very similar experience recently, with FT becoming super slow/unusable and locking up IE11. (Windows 7)

I modified my HOSTs file and it has made the world of difference - much faster rendering of FT BA.

So it does seem somehow related to the ads.

YMMV.

I would consider support an ad-free paid version of the site

Last edited by PWOZUK; Jul 13, 2015 at 10:27 am Reason: compliance
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

They should just charge $10 a year to remove the ads... Like they used to
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Get rid of Internet Explorer and use Firefox (or maybe Chrome).

Last edited by IBobi; Jul 13, 2015 at 1:44 pm Reason: admin edited -- see PM
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They should just charge $10 a year to remove the ads... Like they used to
Quite, and I'd happily pay that. There appears to be another suggestion though on the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...een-shots.html thread referred to in post #9 above; banning anyone who suggests using, or actually uses, ad blockers.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictu...46009/Browsers

I would suggest something other than IE - I find the others much more reliable and faster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.