Desktop Mac OS X/Safari: FT defaulting to mobile site

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Desktop Mac OS X/Safari: FT defaulting to mobile site

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Mac OS X/Safari: FT defaulting to mobile site

Have I logged into the right site this morning?

EDIT - and now it's gone!

Last edited by Blueboys999; Mar 30, 2015 at 11:51 pm
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Just to explain what appears an odd post, I logged in earlier and was presented with a completely re-designed FT site. At least I think I did!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If it was completely white apart from the text boxes, I think you experienced a loading error.

Other than that, I've no clue.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
If it was completely white apart from the text boxes, I think you experienced a loading error.

Other than that, I've no clue.
I'm no expert on such things but it looked very much like a new design to me. I reloaded a couple of times and viewed 2 other boards and saw the same thing.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: BA GGL
Did you log in on a PC or a mobile device?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:04 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
It looks like the mobile version of the site, if I try and view it in Safari (on a Mac). Started doing this some time yesterday evening. It's slightly annoying because the functionality is pared right down and the font size now seems to be selected on the basis that I am ocularly challenged in a way that would make Mr. Magoo seem to have got off lightly.

Viewed in Firefox, all looks as expected.

EDIT: Whether you're logged in or not might also make a difference.

Last edited by V10; Mar 31, 2015 at 1:05 am Reason: another observation
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Did you log in on a PC or a mobile device?
On a Mac.

Not a big deal and time will no doubt tell but I think I can recognise a defective page load and it looked very different from that. I'm surprised nobody else saw it though.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ClubCarlson Gold
Morning,
I had that yesterday on my Mac...
Bottom of the page link took me to the full site...
After that no issues...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Same here, using Safari on a MacBook and I now default to the mobile site. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the banner titled "View Full Site" and all will return to normal.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Thanks for reporting this issue. One for our technical gurus at Internet Brands, so I’ve moved this thread into the Technical Support and Feedback forum.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:02 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Yup -- not a glitch at all, this is the new mobile skin you are seeing.

As has been pointed out, to go to the full site, just scroll to the bottom and click VIEW FULL SITE.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

IBobi, for clarity, the mobile skin was appearing on desktop Macs and laptops when FT was accessed via Safari. This is very odd behaviour for any website.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
IBobi, for clarity, the mobile skin was appearing on desktop Macs and laptops when FT was accessed via Safari. This is very odd behaviour for any website.
Ah -- didn't get that.

The mobile site will continue to show up on a desktop if you are using a proxy, VPN, etc. Only normal connection methods will show the full site.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:50 pm

Firefox is my usual desktop browser (no problems with that). I launched Safari (on OS X 10.10.2) this morning after reading reports of FT defaulting to the mobile skin and experienced exactly what others had reported. I am not using a proxy or VPN. It is a bit strange, isn't it?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
Firefox is my usual desktop browser (no problems with that). I launched Safari (on OS X 10.10.2) this morning after reading reports of FT defaulting to the mobile skin and experienced exactly what others had reported. I am not using a proxy or VPN. It is a bit strange, isn't it?
Hmm... how are you connecting to the Internet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.