Reference copies for deletion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Exclamation PLEASE READ: Tech Support & Feedback TIPS & TRICKS

Originally Posted by travelmbs
I am the person most of my family and friends turn to for info online - always. And I find things quickly.
That said, I feel like a foreigner looking at an unknown language when I am on your site.
Honestly, when I click around haphazardly, I learn something every session! So I am completely frustrated that I am not learning more quickly. How does one navigate around all of this info? I was unable to find a guide, tips for new users, deer-in-headlight types. It just feels completely disorganized to me. Do you have something that may help? Looking forward to visiting often once I feel comfortable. Thanks.
travelmbs, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Yes this site can be a bit daunting at first.

Here are some areas to look at initially:

FAQ's

FlyerGuide Wiki (which, granted, needs a bit more work)

FlyerTalk Glossary

Guidelines and Rules

Airport Code Lookup

Additionally, look at the top of the various forums. There will often be "stickies" with important information about that forum such as glossaries, FAQ's and other info relating to that forum.

Finally, don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions.

It takes a while to learn to learn to navigate FlyerTalk and there really isn't much of a shortcut. But I can guarantee that the time spent on FlyerTalk will be returned tenfold in easier, more comfortable and knowledgable travel.

Happy Travels.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
an example of my "befundlement" I did not know how to find my posts in order to see any replies! I had to search my screen name!
Hi again.

You can click on your handle in the post above mine and you'll see a drop-down menu. Select "Find More Posts By travelmbs" and it'll show you your most recent 500 posts. Click on an individual post to be brought back to that thread.

Also, when you make a post, before you hit the Submit Reply button, scroll down to something called Thread Subscription and then make a selection other than Do Not Subscribe. Anytime someone adds a post to that thread it'll pop up in your MyFlyerTalk.

The MyFlyerTalk area is accessed by clicking on the blue bar at the top of the page, left hand corner. This is an area where you can customize FlyerTalk to just show the forums you are most interested in following. To subscribe to a forum, select Forum Tools at the upper right part of the main forum page. From the dropdown box, select "Subscribe to this Forum". That forum will appear under your MyFlyerTalk area. Continue adding whatever forums you want.

There's really no substitute to just spending an free hour or so when you have the chance and just practice navigating through the forums. Click on anything and everything and see what happens and where it takes you. That's perhaps the best way to learn how to navigate these forums.

One more thing. In your MyFlyerTalk area, on the left side of the page, will be Your Control Panel. This is a very powerful feature that allows you to further customize FT to your liking. Make sure you click through everything to get an idea of what you can customize.

And feel free to post back here with any additional questions.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:09 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I just cannot feel comfortable on this site....
an example of my "befundlement" I did not know how to find my posts in order to see any replies! I had to search my screen name!
If you need any technical assistance browsing FT, you should be visiting our Technical Issues Forum, where the admin and fellow FTers can give you a hand. While you are there, do remember to check out this useful sticky thread: The NEW FlyerTalk: Helpful Hints, Tips and Suggestions to Enhance Your Experience. Speaking for myself, I have learned quite a bit "fancy" tips from that sticky thread.

This Suggestions Forum is to suggest features/improvement to the site/admin (as the forum description puts it -- "What's on your wish list for FlyerTalk?"). It's not for FTers to get personal advice or suggestions. Pay attention to the forum description so you'll get some ideas about each forum and FT structure better. Read some threads in different fora will help newcomers learn about what's going on in each forum.

FT is a special site with many knowledgeable folks. Don't be afraid to start your own threads asking questions in the right forum/s. FTers are not shy and will chime in with their suggestions and advices. If you are not certain where to post, you may contact any forum moderator who shall be able show you the way.

It takes time to know FT better. It took me more than a year before I was comfortably posting on FT. Hope you are a fast learner since there are tons of info on FT. Soon you'll be able to catch up the addiction with fellow FTers.

Welcome to FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.