Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

United & AA technical problems...for all concerned

United & AA technical problems...for all concerned

Old Aug 29, 2001, 2:24 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Thanks - love this thread and convo (while UA is down... hmmm could make a few comments on this ). I'm a Sun person myself, but I don't work for them (LIH Prem you rock ), so I'm very interested too in the specs of what si going on.

The 4k/32k one is definately magic type numbers to watch, even more so if it's an older release of Solaris (eg: < 7).

Should we open up a "Geek Forum" for this?
Old Aug 29, 2001, 8:09 am

Do you have any idea when the UA board may be back up. Also - how about posting a notice on the front page about the UA board so that new users don't think that flyertalk doesn't have such a board?
Old Aug 29, 2001, 9:14 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I noticed that pprune.org closes their threads at 100 posts for 'board management' issues.

Dorian
Old Aug 29, 2001, 12:20 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
While I understand that the problem may not be the size of the forums (after all the largets forums are also the ones getting the most traffic on any given day), but is there a particular reason why the largest boards do not archive posts to an archive forum after so many posts or months?

There's very little functionality lost by searching the last 6 months separately from rest of time. I guarantee you that the commonly queried topics come up again and again now anyway, and an archive won't make people miss and repost questions anymore than they do now.

Like I said, just curious.
Old Aug 29, 2001, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dgolds:
One more observation:

The three fora that are down regularly (MilesBuzz, American, United) all have &gt; 4K threads and &gt; 32K posts. Those can often be magic numbers that cause bugs to reveal themselves. Quite possible UBB was never QA'ed for that amount of posts. If you haven't followed up with InfoPop on this being a possibile source of our misery, I strongly suggest you do so.

If either a 4K or 32K limit is causing a problem, you might start to see problems in Coupon Connection (which just reached over 4K threads) or Delta (which is about to go over 32K posts.

Michael, I wonder if you might be willing to post your configuration here (or e-mail it to myself and others who are interested in helping out).

ClueByFour: I love you, man...
</font>
OOH I love when you guys talk data corruption...

Old Aug 29, 2001, 4:16 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
As well...Infopop would certainly love to have nFT running on their 'bigger' product OpenTopic. They would suck another $80k +++ out of Randy that way...

Dorian
Old Aug 29, 2001, 6:26 pm

I agree with you, Clue, about the flat files. It must be a nightmare to fix them when they do get corrupt.

I wish I knew what they were running this thing on. Can you figure it out?

-David
Old Aug 29, 2001, 7:38 pm

Programs: Many
Michael at FT has soaked up the suggestions, in a well intentioned way, but I think those who have insight could help even more if he would disclose the hardware and OS they are running. Other posters have made assumptions, that I would have hoped that Michael would have taken as nudges to disclose what they're running, but all the helpers are doing now is flying blind. Michael, how about prying loose a little info about your config...?
Old Aug 29, 2001, 11:03 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Perhaps they don't want to reveal that Sabre is running everything under contract, and that's why AA's board works again and UA's has gone down the toilet!!!

Or maybe it is just time to upgrade that old Vic-20 to a C-64

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Aug 30, 2001, 12:51 am

My suggstion is for Randy to take some miles from an account and redeem a First Class round trip from Pittsburgh to Colorado Springs, and lay on a darn fine lunch and dinner for Clue By Four and Michael , and I suspect the problem might be readily solved. :-)
Old Aug 30, 2001, 6:37 am

I'm with RichardMel,

I think either Sabre is running the show,... or UAL gave randy and crew all the 1K swu's left over for the entire year,.... in order for him to keep the board down and all of us without knowning if the reconfiguration of the fleet is done and other burning issues...

UAL IS DOWN, but help is under way... I am happy to know so many of us are trying to get this issue solved.

RedRobin
Old Aug 30, 2001, 8:51 am

Programs: Many
geordie6 has made an excellent suggestion
Old Aug 30, 2001, 11:43 am
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Any official word on the status of the United forum? Is there an ETA for a fix or creation of a replacement forum?

Thanks,

------------------
Sagy
Old Aug 30, 2001, 11:50 am

Programs: United Platinum
RE: 4K and 32K limits and other magic numbers.
Don't assume that a "power of 2" limit is always due to a bug. I used to manage a product that displayed info in tables, and I specifically limited the max size to 1024 rows. I could have picked any number, but using a power of 2 meant that everyone assumed it was a technical limit and didn't bother asking me to increase it :-)

Bob
Old Aug 30, 2001, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Michael...United seems to be up and humming along nicely now. Whatever you did...Thanks (and hope it "sticks")!

I notice however that the total FlyerTalk Miles post count is still indicating a low 449,250 posts and the United forum only has just over 8,000 posts. I assume you archived some stuff to get things going again?

Any idea when you'll be able to bring 'em back?

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 08-30-2001).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.