Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

How anonymous am I on Flyertalk?

Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Some privacy issues are addressed by the following:

Link to Internet Brands Privacy Policy

Link to FlyerTalk / Internet Brands Legal Policy

Link to FlyerTalk Rules

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

A recent thread on the BAEC board got me thinking. It was a discussion about the BA App and the information it collects while you have it running.Some concern was shown that it might be snooping on the user without their knowledge.

It got me wondering just what type of information about me might be collected by Flyertalk whenever I'm logged on. For instance do people in certain positions on FT have ready access to my current location? Can they identify my computer? Do they keep track of my FT browsing habits?
I don't wish to sound paranoid because I'm not and have certainly got nothing to hide. Just curious really.

If this subject breaches Flyertalk rules I apologise....although it would be quite worrying if it did.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Well, and this based purely on my past experience of being a moderator on another online forum, FT moderators should be able to identify your IP address and your posting history (though the latter is public anyway). I highly doubt that your web browsing history is accessible as this would require more access to your pc/mac/tablet/phone. It may be possible that your machine ID is logged, though highly unlikely.

Rest assure HIDDY your BA Gold aspirations are safe

H
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoch
Well, and this based purely on my past experience of being a moderator on another online forum, FT moderators should be able to identify your IP address and your posting history (though the latter is public anyway). I highly doubt that your web browsing history is accessible as this would require more access to your pc/mac/tablet/phone. It may be possible that your machine ID is logged, though highly unlikely.

Rest assure HIDDY your BA Gold aspirations are safe

H

I wasn't thinking of my off Flyertalk browsing that would be spooky.

It was more to do with my habits while logged on to Flyertalk. I know things like accessing my posting history is open to all who wish to look and even though I might be in invisible mode to members I won't be to the Mods. However I was wondering if other things were logged like my time spent online on FT, which forums I visited, threads looked at etc.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Not anonymous enough unfortunately.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Not anonymous enough unfortunately.
exactly and don't post anything that might give you away

examples are

exact miles or points balance in a program
exact location
frequent stay or fly number
name of course
where you work

anything that the airlines, their FT reps or hotels can do to track you down and that includes car rental agencies
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Hoch
Well, and this based purely on my past experience of being a moderator on another online forum, FT moderators should be able to identify your IP address and your posting history (though the latter is public anyway).
Hoch has stated it well. It's nothing interesting, that's for sure.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Hoch has stated it well. It's nothing interesting, that's for sure.
That's what they all say when they're trying to hide the truth.

Thanks, much appreciated.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Some info here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threa...lletin.355149/

FT currently runs on vb3.x so you can research on what the software (currently) can and cannot record. The manuals are here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html?m...rsion=40202604
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Some info here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threa...lletin.355149/

FT currently runs on vb3.x so you can research on what the software (currently) can and cannot record. The manuals are here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html?m...rsion=40202604
Thanks. ^
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I can still see you.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:41 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I'm curious that when the Coupon Connection hub-bub was occurring, (people were getting shut out of their FF accounts for violations) it was stated that you shouldn't use the same email for FT as is entered on your FF program. Why was that?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I'm curious that when the Coupon Connection hub-bub was occurring, (people were getting shut out of their FF accounts for violations) it was stated that you shouldn't use the same email for FT as is entered on your FF program. Why was that?
Just a guess - if an airline subpoenaed FT about the account details behind a handle, FT would have to provide that information? It's happened with libel actions on other boards.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I thought Coupon Connection was CLOSED quite some time ago ?

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Just a guess - if an airline subpoenaed FT about the account details behind a handle, FT would have to provide that information? It's happened with libel actions on other boards.
Hence the warning : " Son, never write down anything you don' want the world to know about.!"
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:44 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
A good rule of thumb is, don't say something online that you would not want attributed to yourself offline. The vast majority of FlyerTalkers abide by this, in my experience.

That said, we have only the information that you give us. And publicly, you control what's visible.

Paul
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
In the course of "exchanging" items its quite likely you'd be emailing concerning the trade. If your "exchangor" was working for the airline all they had to do was compare your email address to the email address on file for your account and bingo, they know who you are. In the event of a non-sanctioned trade (swapping miles for upgrades, selling upgrades, etc.) they'd audit and shut down your account (not necessarily in that order).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.