Wiki Posts
Search

"Back Button"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 1999, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
"Back Button"

Does anyone know if there is a way for me to regain the use of my browser's "back" button after posting a reply to a message thread? I always seem to wind up in a loop (although nothing crashes... maybe I should be grateful )
It just takes extra time to navigate back using the thread links at the top right of the screen and read all the topics into the cache again. (using Netscape 4.08)
Old Aug 28, 1999, 11:40 am
pgupta011

I use Netscape 4.6. I use the Go Button after posting (if it takes too long) to go to the appropriate (prior) page.

Old Aug 28, 1999, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
RichG: After you are at a point where you can see your new post as part of the discussion, you have to hit the back button 5 times to get back to where you were before you posted.
Old Aug 28, 1999, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

DGolds: Hmmm, maybe I just thought there was a navigation loop. I'll try it right now!
Old Aug 28, 1999, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

It worked! That's what happens when you jump to a conclusion. Next time I'll be more persistent.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by RichG (edited 08-28-1999).]
Old Aug 29, 1999, 12:04 pm

Another Option -- Completely Avoids The Above Scenario!

A viable method that I use to get the page back is to open a New Window (of that page), prior to leaving it in the first place. I then minimize the New Window (the copy of my original page) to get it out of the way for the moment. Work on whatever I need to. Then, since I already have (a copy of) the original page readily available, but minimized; rather than using my Back button, I simply restore or maximize it. I am then back to my "original" page!

Using Internet Explorer 5.0 with Windows 98
To Copy The Original Page And Then Minimize It
(It must be the "Active" Window)[*]Go up to and click on File[*]Scroll down to New[*]Slide across and click on Window[*]When the new window appears, Minimize it

I then work within the original window to start the "Post Your Reply" process or whatever I wish to do. When I'm done, I either minimize or close the window.

To Retrieve (the copy of) The Original Page[*]Go to the minimized tab and Restore or Maximize it[*]Click Refresh, if necessary, to update the page with the most recent information (latest version of that page)

In similar situations, this New Window method has saved me a lot of headaches and is useful with other applications, also!

By the way, the copy of the original retains all previous background information such as Back and Forward pages visited, most recent web sites visited, etc! You may then use your browser in the "normal" way since you still have access to that information!

[This message has been edited by MRLIMO (edited 09-01-1999).]
Old Aug 31, 1999, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the alternate method, MrLimo, and I do understand the concept, but the "Back x 5" method is simpler, and about the same # of keystrokes. Plus, when I get DSL (soon!) it won't take much time to do.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 1, 1999, 12:29 am
pgupta011

On Netscape, Go is even simpler and needs fewer keystrokes. Press Go and scroll down the appropriate entry (in this case the 5th entry). It shoud be faster too than pressing back 5 times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.