Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disabling the "I Voted" avatar

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Disabling the "I Voted" avatar

How do I disable the stupid, self-serving "I Voted" icon on my posts? I've tried going through the avatar update on MyFlyerTalk, but the "disable avatar" option has no effect.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
use firefox enable ....... plus, right click Block, then go to the full url and add it (not all) add this to filter list:
http://www.flyertalk.com/images/voted1.gif
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
How do I disable the stupid, self-serving "I Voted" icon on my posts? I've tried going through the avatar update on MyFlyerTalk, but the "disable avatar" option has no effect.
Can you go back and spoil your ballot?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT,VS Silver,SPG gold, Hilton, AMEX Plat, BA nothing.
I for one like it...and I'm keeping it!^
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:16 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I believe that's the system default for TB election season once you cast your vote. Some preferred the icon. See what happened last year:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...ut-not-ie.html
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lin821
I believe that's the system default for TB election season once you cast your vote.
It's not only the default, it's forced. I would prefer not to have one show for me at all. It's stupid, just like the "I Voted" and "I gave blood" stickers people decorate themselves with to boost their low self-esteem, or the stickers car dealers put on your car to give themselves free advertising.

Originally Posted by Steph3n
use firefox enable ....... plus
How can I force everyone on FT to do this? I don't want to block what I see, I don't want it to be seen by anyone.

Originally Posted by RedSox
I for one like it...and I'm keeping it!
Exactly - it should be a choice. Isn't that what democracy is all about?

If FT forces me to be their advertising b-itch, I guess this is the last time I'll vote.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
It's not only the default, it's forced. I would prefer not to have one show for me at all.
It seems one could opt out such "forced" default.

Maybe you should contact Mikel or the tech folks so they can "de-select" your voting icon. @:-) Not sure how IB would prioritize such requests since they are fighting a large-scaled cyber attack.

I personally don't have such a strong aversive feeling toward this voting icon. I do with all other advertising (skimlinks included) using FTers as free agents though.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:49 am

It's stupid, just like the "I Voted" and "I gave blood" stickers people decorate themselves with to boost their low self-esteem, or the stickers car dealers put on your car to give themselves free advertising.
Yep. And getting the sticker is the only reason that I vote, give blood, or drive a car.

Of course, I have to wonder: if you are so against "free advertising," then why do you list any programs/affiliations in your profile? Are you not simply giving United and SPG free advertising by doing so?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:11 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Can you go back and spoil your ballot?
as someone who works as an election day pct supervisor and inspector....tsk, tsk, tsk....what do you think this is, chicago? <ducking>

Originally Posted by RedSox
I for one like it...and I'm keeping it!^
me, too (and i like your handle ^)
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Lightbulb

A friend was able to get it eliminated last year by asking nee demanding that they do it. He was very upset about it. He told me that part of his case was that they began the practice after voting started, after he voted, so without notice. I don't know what part those two points played in his success, and/or if part of the result was to cancel his vote, as well. (No, it wasn't me.)
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
It's not only the default, it's forced. I would prefer not to have one show for me at all. It's stupid, just like the "I Voted" and "I gave blood" stickers people decorate themselves with to boost their low self-esteem, or the stickers car dealers put on your car to give themselves free advertising.

Ok. Someone needs to close IE (or Firefox) for a while and take a break. Seriously? You're this upset over a 50x33, 765 byte image?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:21 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
There are a lot of 765-byte images I could see being irritating or even offensive.
I find this one irritating - I don't see that it should be anyone's business whether
I voted or not.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm in the heck there are a lot of other more important things to complain about, such as PM notification working, FT being slow, skimlinks, to worry about a stoo-pid I Voted icon. There are battles & then there are battles - this one (to me) isn't worth it. OVMV. Cheers.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:01 pm
Community Director Emerita

Here is last year's thread in ORP on the topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/only-...oted-icon.html

And Randy's response within the thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10755272-post3.html

Also, read the first post in the Election Results thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...l-results.html

Whether you like the avatar or not, it does appear to get attention drawn to the election, succeeding in increasing the vote.

I've got no horse in this race; simply pointing to past discussion of same topic.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by goalie
as someone who works as an election day pct supervisor and inspector....tsk, tsk, tsk....what do you think this is, chicago? <ducking>

me, too (and i like your handle ^)
And the reason it worked so successfully in Chicago was because there were no icons following you around. Harrumph.

The world has gone to hell in a hand basket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.